Arm Strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Strength

If Orton did a little more physical exercise with his arm wouldn't he be able to improve his arm strength. Might be a stupid question and easy solution but I was just wondering.
    2010 Draft
    1st Round- ILB: Rolando McClain (Alabama)
    2nd Round- DE: Allen Bailey (Miami)
    3rd Round- C: Stefen Wisniewski (Penn State)
    4th Round- CB: Walter Thurmond (Oregon)
    6th Round- KR/PR: Brandon Banks (KSU)
    7th Round- RB: Stafon Johnson (USC)

FA Signings-
    NT: Casey Hampton
    OG: Logan Mankins

"Veni, Vidi, Vici"

In theory I'd agree with you. And he may pick up a few yards. But at this level natural talent steps in. Some people can just chuck a ball while having spaghetti arms. Others, with massive arms, can't. If it were as easy as some training then we'd have a league full of rockets, but we don't. Natural ability.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by #13Yung Kartoon View Post
      If Orton did a little more physical exercise with his arm wouldn't he be able to improve his arm strength. Might be a stupid question and easy solution but I was just wondering.
      i think at this level of play, you either have a strong arm or you dont. Mechanics can help out but i think it has to do with God given ability at this point.

Kinda similar to power pitchers and control pitchers in baseball. some guys will never throw the 95 mph fastball, but they get along fine with smart pitches and good control.
      Thanks Shanahan for the 2 SB's, but its time to move on. With McDaniels I hope to see at least one more, bringing back solid, fundamental football to Denver.

Comment

No. Nothing can be done to improve Orton's pea-shooter.

Some MLB pitchers won't break 85mph, some can break 100mph. Some NFL CBs can run the 40yrd in 4.35, others won't break 4.65. It's not a matter of training, but genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by #13Yung Kartoon View Post
          Solution to what? Is this another implication that Orton has a weak arm?

For pity's sake, is anyone here interested in researching a player before they
          start commenting on him? Does anybody here have a clue that Purdue
          recruited Orton in the first place because of his strong arm? Is there anyone
          aware that he was named as having the strongest, most accurate arm in the
          Big 10? Has anybody read that Orton has a range of 73 yards, by his own
          admission, which is five yards further than Peyton Manning could throw it in
          the 2002 Quarterback Challenge?

Somebody, please, other than I, do a little research and come back with some
          facts.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post

facts.

-----
            Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Comment

With a technically proper regime of workouts, he could possibly add a little extra zip.

With that said, I believe he currently endures ungodly amounts of physical workout time, just like nearly every other NFL and would-be NFL player. They all run and hit the weights regularly.

Throwing (either footballs or baseballs) is far more than muscle. Big arm muscles have little to do with the length and speed of the throw.

Arm strength is a combination of strengh (of arm and legs), flexibility (of elbow, shoulder, torso and waist), arm speed, proper mechanics and timing. Of those five things, mechanics and timing are the most important.

Mechanics is the proper positioning of every body part and timing is the execution of the mechanics in the right sequential order at the right time.

Think of the golf swing. If you are like me, you have seen 14 year old skinny young boys hit their T-shots 280 yards. It ain't muscle that's doing that.

So, more physical exercise? He's doing that already. But the mechanics and the timing can always use fine tuning with any QB. When they are in place, just throw, throw, throw. = more "strength"

Comment

facts.

-----

Aw, come on Top! You know that once one person says something and another publishes it then it must be fact, right...? He's gotta have a weak arm!!! Right?
                *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

facts.

-----
                  You are right to a certain extent........Orton does have a strong arm, not a cannon like Cutler, but strong enough, as long as he has a clean pocket so he can step into his throws. It's when the pocket breaks down and Orton is forced to move his lead feet that gets into trouble......hence the nickname Checkdown Charlie, when he has to move his first look is to his checkdown. He just does not have the quick feet to re-set, keeping his eyes downfield.

Comment

These threads are getting a little old. Hey, I hear there is a QB in Chicago that can throw a pea through a brick wall, go root for them.

Every one of these arm strength threads are directed as Cutler vs. Orton. Jay is gone, please move on people!

Matt Cassel has a "noodle arm" and he succeeded very wellin McD's system so I think Orton will be just fine. Cutler had a cannon yes but how often did you actually see him hit his reciever in stride 40-50 yards down field, hardly ever. He had one of the worst deep balls in the game. I can't count on 2 hands how many times he had Royal of Marshall wide-open down the field and he either way ovrthrew them or underthrew them.

McD's system requires smarts and the ability to check down and take care of the football. This is why Jay Cutler is gone and Kyle Orton is our QB!!!
                    Last edited by KWHIT97; 05-19-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

For the record, I disagree that it's a matter of natural ability at this stage.

Ryan Leaf is one of many examples of all the natural talent in the world, and no personal drive to succeed. Deltha O'Neil comes to mind.

Tyrone Braxton anyone? He was short, slow, small, and lacked power. All he did was become a Bronco legend. That's not talent, that's hard work and focus.

If it was just about how far the ball could be thrown, we'd have a bunch of 7'6" quarterbacks in the league.

It's not. TDs are not scored by throwing the ball as far as one can. They're scored by getting a first down, and then another, and then another - and by putting the ball where it belongs at the time it belongs.

If arm strength were all that mattered, we'd see a very different kind of quarterback.

It's not natural talent. It's not arm strength. That is not what makes a good quarterback - and the evidence showing that is abundant to anyone that cares to truly understand the game and wants to look.

Comment

I don't really think it's the distance factor with arm strength. Anyone remember Brian Griese? The guy couldn't get out of his own way and could not get the ball 15 yards past the LOS. He was a game manager and did well for awhile but what has he done since leaving the "system" that turned him in to a pro bowl player? With DBs getting bigger, faster and stronger every year you almost have to have a cannon armed qb to get the ball in a tight space so fast that the defense doesn't have time to react, ie. tip it, pick it block it.
                        That to me is where arm strength becomes important.
                        PS. Good God, I really don't want another "system" qb, we had that with BG and JP and that worked out well didn't it.

Comment

Arm strength isn't an issue for Orton. He can make all the throws that a quarterback needs to make. He can even throw the deep ball. If anything, he would need to work on his mechanics. If that's the case, I'm sure McDaniels will make sure he does that.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                            You are right to a certain extent........Orton does have a strong arm, not a cannon like Cutler, but strong enough, as long as he has a clean pocket so he can step into his throws. It's when the pocket breaks down and Orton is forced to move his lead feet that gets into trouble......hence the nickname Checkdown Charlie, when he has to move his first look is to his checkdown. He just does not have the quick feet to re-set, keeping his eyes downfield.
                            Thank you. Finally a bear fan with a non biased opinion. I pretty much agree with everything you say:salute!:

Hopefully with our line we will be able to take advantage of his strengths and mask his weaknesses.

As long as Orton is accurate up to 20 yards he will be able to operate this offense just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bears6385 View Post
                              That's funny . . . because one of the things McDaniels said impressed him
                              about Orton was his footwork. And the hours of film I viewed on Orton seemed
                              to reveal to me an ability to evade pass rushers.

Regarding his checking down, have you considered that much of it might be
                              because receivers were not getting open? You go to the first receiver and, if
                              he's not open, check down to the next. After all, Chicago does not have the
                              best receivers . . . or even as good as "average." And that might be why
                              Orton had only 12 INTs and a 96.0 QB rating in the Red Zone.

Sorry, but I just do not see it . . .

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X