• Show
Clear All

• Brandon Marshall Defends Himself

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=421...goryid=3286128

that other dude is a smartass

go marshall!

didnt see it posted
    Now go get your shine box

They're showing the 911 calls and Watley on ESPN. He seems like a crazy mofo.

Comment

He's not a very good public speaker...

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
        He's not a very good public speaker...
        No, that he isnt, but Im sure I would be pretty nervous in the situation.

I dont think it helped that Bob Ley continuously cut him off. It seemed like Ley was trying to knock him off any point he was trying to make.
        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Bob Ley: "Okay we see a number of pictures in that story. How would you explain these pictures which would appear to be injuries to her?"

Brandon Marshall: "Well...there was this McDonald's bag..."

Sorry...couldn't resist
          "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

I thought Marshall did fine for the situation he is in. He has an avalanche of evidence caving in on his head, and he stuck to his guns with the only hope of shelter he has left, Rasheedah's on-record statements to the police.

What hurts him is the historical trend of battered women initially lying to the police during domestic disputes, and then eventually seperating their love for the man and subsequently changing their stories to "what really happened". This is a very common occurence. What creates a hurdle for Marshall is that so many of the police reports, police observations, friends, and neighbors offer independent evidence of abuse which greatly support Watley's new story rather than her old one. So, while Marshall wants to just stick to the facts of what is on record (specifically, what Rasheedah has stated), he also has to deal with the landmines of what other witnesses reported at that time.

I also like his money angle. She has to have a motive for doing this. His attorneys have decided on money, and it works, because she's requested payment in the past to keep quiet. What hurts, and it hurts Marshall badly, is that they got back together after she tried to extort him for money. This suggests she wasn't extorting at all, just putting a value on the pain Marshall caused her (similar to how personal injury claims work in court). Marshall getting back with her suggests she had a valid reason for requesting hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But understand, Marshall HAD to respond in kind. Failure to respond to directly aired allegations would be public opinion suicide. As it is, I think he saved very little. I personally believe it will take nothing short of a lie detector test to win public opinion now. But, if I was Marshall's attorney, I would have had him do the same things and respond the same way. I just think this is a losing battle.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve
              Evidence? What do you mean? 911 calls?

9-1-1 calls, myriad written police observations, actual police reports, witness and neighbor statements and thus likely testimony, and Marshall's subsequent actions and statements.

There is nothing positive, outside of potentially one officer's testimony, that Marshall can point to. He has Rasheedah's original statements, but Battered Woman Syndrome can minimize those, especially coupled with the police observations and independent witnesses.

What he does have going for him is that in terms of a legal punishment, he's probably just looking at 3-5 years probation, a hefty fine, and extensive counseling. However, he's looking at a major financial punishment in terms of NFL suspension and contract value.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                neighbor statements
                In the interview, the neighbor did not witness any stabbing. The Neighbor only repeated what Watley told her. Not an eyewitness report. Nothing more then hearsay.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ursamajor View Post
                  In the interview, the neighbor did not witness any stabbing. The Neighbor only repeated what Watley told her. Not an eyewitness report. Nothing more then hearsay.

Not true. From my understanding, Watley conveyed the comment to the neighbor while still under the excitement of the event. That is an exception to the hearsay rule known as an Excited Utterance. Watley can also get the neighbor's testimony in under the exception to hearsay known as Present Bodily Condition as well.

Comment

we should not be defending him in any way shape or form. it looks really bad and i wouldnt be suprised if rodger goodell suspends him again, i like marshall but it really looks like he has a problem, and i hope he gets help.

Comment

This is not looking good for Marshall. The press is nothing but negative and honestly, the kid deserves it. It is never okay to beat your girlfriend...He is an amazing WR, but he has some serious issues to work through...

Comment

No one knows the all the facts, except BMarsh and the Ex. Here is the issue she said that he didn't hit her, so is she lying now or was she lying then. If you can prove that she lied about even one thing, she loses all crediability. I think this is about money, but I don't know.
                        Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
                          No one knows the all the facts, except BMarsh and the Ex. Here is the issue she said that he didn't hit her, so is she lying now or was she lying then. If you can prove that she lied about even one thing, she loses all crediability. I think this is about money, but I don't know.

The bolded text is not correct. I represent battered women all the time that made false statements to police officers at the time of the domestic disturbance to shield their significant other. It's a very common occurence in domestic abuse cases. Whether it's due to confusion, fear, love, or misplaced guilt, battered women almost always lie initially. Like most cases, there is plenty of corroborating evidence here to support the "corrected" allegations of abuse. Rasheedah Watley does not come remotely close to losing credibility for lying on initial police reports, as mentioned, it's almost the norm for domestic abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                            The bolded text is not correct. I represent battered women all the time that made false statements to police officers at the time of the domestic disturbance to shield their significant other. It's a very common occurence in domestic abuse cases. Whether it's due to confusion, fear, love, or misplaced guilt, battered women almost always lie initially. Like most cases, there is plenty of corroborating evidence here to support the "corrected" allegations of abuse. Rasheedah Watley does not come remotely close to losing credibility for lying on initial police reports, as mentioned, it's almost the norm for domestic abuse.
                            But in your cases is there evidence of Blackmail?

I am saying that she loses credibility on a lot of fronts. First with the money demands. Second, with the prolonged delay in filing charges(even after they were broken up). When there is a motive to lie, and you can prove that she lied. I am not even talking about the police reports, I am talking about after the fact lying.
                            Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
                              But in your cases is there evidence of Blackmail?

I am saying that she loses credibility on a lot of fronts. First with the money demands. Second, with the prolonged delay in filing charges(even after they were broken up). When there is a motive to lie, and you can prove that she lied. I am not even talking about the police reports, I am talking about after the fact lying.
                              Might I suggest you read agian even post that Mat'hir Uth Gan has made in this thread. Specifically the post about battered women....
                              7/15 48 yrds 0 td's 1 INT - Jay Cutler the "Pro-Bowler" at the 2009 Pro-Bowl. sigpic Ah-Dah!

Comment

Working...
                              X