Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (least) favorite football cliches

i thought this might be fun.

being a football fan, you come across many phrases that you never hear outside of the sports page or the analysts' booth. words that never come out of the typical person's mouth become commonplace on frigid sundays. things like "he's a special teams maven." when was the last time you heard the word maven in normal conversation? "my nephew, he's a real transformers maven. he's got all of those things." doesn't sound right.

sometimes they get piled on each other. remember how every week some announcer would say, "that Tatem Bell, he's a home-run threat, who can take it to the house at any time." nothing wrong with that, except people can't seem to talk football anymore without resorting to these canned phrases.

how about Shanahan's vaunted zone blocking scheme? well, it's better than his much-malignedD-line. you know, the way your aunt's vaunted sweet potato pie is better than your uncle's much-maligned turducken experiments.

got any more?

"The Frozen Tundra" makes me want to throw my TV through the window everytime I hear it.

Come to think of it...pretty much anything Berman says with any regularity gets on my nerves.

Jim

Comment

The term I have come to hate on NFL network, "It is what it is."

The lack of alliteration in that phrase is annoying.
      Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

"anemic"

I saw this word being used to describe our Defense several times last year (On the boards, I'm not sure about analysts). I don't think I've ever heard that word being used, haha.

Much-maligned is something I can agree with. I've never heard anyone actually use that, same with maven...

Comment

Almost forgot. I get mad anytime I hear San Diego and Touchdown in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
            Almost forgot. I get mad anytime I hear San Diego and Touchdown in the same sentence.
            Same with me except San Diego and Super Bowl. Not as though I think they CAN'T win a Super Bowl, but every friggin' year it's just analysts loving San Diego. I think San Diego are the analysts favorite non-East coast team.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaeus15 View Post
              "anemic"

I saw this word being used to describe our Defense several times last year (On the boards, I'm not sure about analysts). I don't think I've ever heard that word being used, haha.

Much-maligned is something I can agree with. I've never heard anyone actually use that, same with maven...
              the boards count, they're full of analysts!

I get mad anytime I hear San Diego and Touchdown in the same sentence.
              word.

i was going to start this thread during the doldrums of last offseason, but i never got around to it. somewhere i have a notebook with a couple dozen candidates...

Comment

the QB is under "DISTRESS" has become soooo obnoxious the last few years
                sigpic
                -------

Comment

It was a "clean hit" as if there is such a thing

Also just about everything that comes out of Maddens mouth. I'm glad he retired.

Comment

Any of the clichés used during the combine and draft ie fluid hips, north south runner, can make all the throws, plays well in space, difference maker, etc....etc....etc...
                    sigpic

Comment

Defensed.........

It makes my skin crawl. Joe Buck or Chris Collinsworth says it all the time.

Not really a cliche, but more of a word

Comment

Whenever Phil Simms talks....

about another QB. I have no respect for his ability. It has been mentioned that the SB he won was the game of his life and he had everything go his way. He is a one hit wonder. When he dissed Elway in SB 32 I wanted to pop him one!!!
                        This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

"Factor Back"

Mostly because I hate Merrill Hodge.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JED Bronco View Post
                            about another QB. I have no respect for his ability. It has been mentioned that the SB he won was the game of his life and he had everything go his way. He is a one hit wonder. When he dissed Elway in SB 32 I wanted to pop him one!!!
                            Dissed?

I've only ever heard Simms say great things about Elway. I got the impression over the years that Simms is a big supporter of the Broncos. Was I off base?

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
                              It was a "clean hit" as if there is such a thing

Also just about everything that comes out of Maddens mouth. I'm glad he retired.
                              Madden was great!!!!! I will agree to disagree on that one......

As for cliches....

The usual sports ones.

- one game at a time

- give it 110%.... or even more????

- take what they give us

- play as a team

- come to play

as for football....

- spread the field

- wide open (???)

- grinding football

- in the trenches

- late hit on the QB (they are all late hits these days!!!.....this isn't a cliche!!!!)

- pass interference (they are all pass interference plays these days....oops...this isn't a cliche either!!!)

Actually I like most of these.....

Comment

Working...
                              X