How do you build a consistent winner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HazMat View Post
    The Pats team that was the framework of the Pats first and subsequent winning SBs was built around number 1 pick Drew Bledsoe (10 year 103 mill contract to start the season).. only an injury led to Brady playing. And honestly - if not for Bledsoe's game winning TD in the championship game in 2001 and free agents trying to hook up with a winner after that- who knows?
    I know that Bledsoe never won a Super Bowl as a starter. And if Bledsoe had started the entire 2001 season do you really believe they make a championship run? Go back and look at the two games he started. If you want to give him the season's credit for leading one drive then doesn't that make Frank Reich the keeper of the flame in the inner circle of the Hall of Fame?

Slice it any way you want but the trigger for the Patriots run this decade was Tom Brady taking over at QB and it wasn't going to happen if Bledsoe stayed healthy. Maybe they could have rallied the team around the 6th rounder while the #1 overall pick rode the clipboard but I have my doubts. If a weak or average team invests in a 1st round QB they have no choice but to spend max resources on the rest of the offense. Maybe when I get home tonight I'll do a little research.
    \

Comment

Originally posted by expatRick View Post
      Slice it any way you want but the trigger for the Patriots run this decade was Tom Brady taking over at QB and it wasn't going to happen if Bledsoe stayed healthy. Maybe they could have rallied the team around the 6th rounder while the #1 overall pick rode the clipboard but I have my doubts. If a weak or average team invests in a 1st round QB they have no choice but to spend max resources on the rest of the offense. Maybe when I get home tonight I'll do a little research.
      Even when Bledsoe got healthy, he had a "me first" attitude where he expected to get the job back instantly despite the success Brady was having on the field. Belichick sticking to his guns and keeping Brady in as the starter was the key factor of the 2001 season as he easily could've become any other coach and went, "Well Bledsoe has seniority" and given the job back to him.

Also interesting that you mentioned the weak/average team. How often do you see a struggling team pick a 1st round rookie QB then try to "help" that QB by drafting at positions like RB, WR, or TE leaving the offensive line or defense as an afterthought?

I was curious how Pittsburgh drafted when they took Ben Roethlisberger. In the 2 drafts with Ben and after: 5 offensive linemen, 3 DL, 1 LB, 2 DB, and 4 offensive players (including TE Heath Miller).

Now compare that to a poor team like the San Francisco 49ers when they took QB Alex Smith. In 2 drafts with Smith and after: 2 offensive linemen, 3 DL, 1 LB, 4 DB, and 9 offensive players.

Among those 9 offensive players they took RB Frank Gore, 5 WR (including Delanie Walker who converted to TE), and 3 TE (including Vernon Davis).

Just in those two comparisons, it seems that the big difference was that Pittsburgh focused along the offensive line whereas San Francisco tried to shore up the defense and give Smith some play makers on offense rather than allocating some of those picks to the offensive line to give Smith protection first.
      "I will pray for you. I will pray for you. I will sell my soul for something pure and true... someone like you." - Garbage #1 Crush

Comment

Working...
      X