No announcement yet.

Who has been our best QB since Elway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant believe this is even in question! The SNAKE all the wayyy!!!!
    SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MJA View Post
      W/L is important, but there are too many factors that go into that for me to solely award "Best QB" to the guy with the most wins. Plummer had a top 10 defense while Cutler's was bottom 5.
      Our best Def rank while Plummer was here was only 15th so its not like we had that great of a Defense
      Proud Member of: Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #35

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler4tw View Post
        Our best Def rank while Plummer was here was only 15th so its not like we had that great of a Defense
        That's not really true. In 2004 the defense was 4th in yards per game and 9th in points per game. In 2005 the defense was 15th in yards per game but 3rd in points per game (I argue that points per game is a much more important stat for defense than yards).

In 2007 the defense was 19th in yards and 28th in points. In 2008 they were 29th in yards per game and 30th in points per game.

The defenses job is to stop the offense from scoring, Plummer's defense did that MUCH better than Cutler's.
        http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=30412676
        MMO Football Game

I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

Comment

Originally posted by MJA View Post
          The question isn't "Who was the most accomplished Denver QB since Elway?" It's who is the best. Plummer accomplished more but when I look at his stats (I can't really remember his play, I was 13-14) and then look at Cutler (Who I do remember) I see Cutler was better in the 2nd half and equal to Plummer in the 1st half. Cutler was better than Plummer after 10+ pass attempts usually and Cutler usually threw more pass attempts.

The fact that Cutler did that without a great running game (They were ranked statistically high, but they didn't keep the defense honest since they didn't have a signature back) seals the deal for me that Cutler was the better QB. He was asked to do more than Plummer and still managed to keep his stats relatively high.
          It depends on what you value in a "good" QB. Cutler's a guy who will chew up poor defenses and get everyone hot and bothered, but in the clutch he's pretty average. Plummer's numbers are pretty average but in the clutch he's completely money. Despite the general consensus that Cutler made the Broncos better, He wasn't able to make the plays when they counted the most, with one of most talented offensive rosters in football.
          "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

The Snake no doubt. Cutler never won a damn thing. Forget mentioning a supporting cast. Offensively he had everything Jake had except a more stable running game. I would give it to Jake just for being a leader. Even with the bone head plays you knew he was out there to win us a football game no matter what. Jake Plummer was 100% heart on every play. He was a winner. Which is way more than I can say for the newest QB of the Bears.
            I will eat your soul...with toast

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
              It depends on what you value in a "good" QB. Cutler's a guy who will chew up poor defenses and get everyone hot and bothered, but in the clutch he's pretty average. Plummer's numbers are pretty average but in the clutch he's completely money. Despite the general consensus that Cutler made the Broncos better, He wasn't able to make the plays when they counted the most, with one of most talented offensive rosters in football.
              I got no argument there about Plummer in the clutch.
              MMO Football Game

I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet these results would be drastically different had this poll come up before the whole fiasco happened.

I voted Cutler out of pure talent, but I am and always was a fan of Pummer. Not only is he a stand up guy but he was exciting to watch. Gotta miss those left handed throws!

Comment

Originally posted by Britan View Post
                  The Snake no doubt. Cutler never won a damn thing. Forget mentioning a supporting cast. Offensively he had everything Jake had except a more stable running game. I would give it to Jake just for being a leader. Even with the bone head plays you knew he was out there to win us a football game no matter what. Jake Plummer was 100% heart on every play. He was a winner. Which is way more than I can say for the newest QB of the Bears.
                  Interesting trend in this thread. Plummer gets favoured by more and more the longer the thread stays out there.

He was the best one, and the winrates dropped from 63% to 40% as soon as Cutler took the reins, and never got back up above 50%.

I beleive that Marchall/Royal were better than Smith/Lelie - not by a wide margin though.

Comment

So are we in agreement then that Eli Manning is better than Drew Breese and that Trent Dilfer isbetter than Marino?

Comment

• How can anyone NOT say Jake Plummer?

The guy saved us....I mean....Griese was a fiasco....and the franchise looked terrible with the loss of John Elway....

It was a dismal time for Bronco fans.....

I remember Jake's 3rd game as a Bronco.....Monday night game against Oakland (in Denver). He rocked the house with a couple td passes. He had a 40 yard RUN. And basically one handedly destroyed our arch rivals....It brought me back to believing in Denver again.....

hate him for his picks and what not....but he once went over 200 passes without an INT.....and all he did was WIN GAMES!

Especially with the way Jay has been acting.....this is an easy question
                      "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                      -The best in the business-

Comment

• Plummer, even before the Cutler fiasco. Who has the most potential? Cutler, maybe, we will see.
                        sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

• The only quarterback on that list who had real potential to bring a championship back to Denver was Cutler. Those stats make Plummer look great but he couldn't win when in mattered. I voted they were all bums in Denver!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComeBackKid View Post
                            The only quarterback on that list who had real potential to bring a championship back to Denver was Cutler. Those stats make Plummer look great but he couldn't win when in mattered. I voted they were all bums in Denver!
                            Did Cutler win when it mattered?
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                              Did Cutler win when it mattered?
                              The problem with that question is you are trying to compare QB's in two completely different situations. On one side you have Plummer with a top 10 defense and a top 10 running game with above average receivers. On the other is Cutler with one of the worst defenses in the league, a top 15 running game with no feature back and a great receiving core.

I posted this in another thread, but it applies to this discussion too.

Here are some other QB stat rankings for playoff teams (The x/15 represents how many of the rankings were in the top 15)

Here is Completion Percentage: (1,2,3,7,17,18,19,20,21,22,24,26) 4/15

Here is TD's: (2,3,5,8,10,12,15,16,17,20,24,24) 7/15

Here is QB Rating: (1,2,3,5,11,14,14,18,22,23,24,28) 7/15

Now here are some defensive stats

Points per game: (1,2,3,4,5,7,9,11,12,13,15,28) 11/15 (11-5 Patriots were in the top 15 also)

Yards per game: (1,2,3,5,6,7,11,15,18,19,24,25) 8/15

Turnovers: (1,4,5,8,10,11,14,15,16,19,25,29) 8/15

Now the x/15 stat for defense and QB play seem very close (Except for completion percentage and points per game). However, notice how few teams ranked low in the 20's for the defensive stats and compared to the QB ones.

All that really matters in terms of making the playoffs is a defense who can be in the top 15 for points per game. Every team in the top 15 had a winning record and 73.3% of them made the playoffs (80% if the 11-5 Patriots got in, which they would have in any other year).

I so far have not found a single QB stat that produces a better than 50% prediction of whether a team makes the playoffs.
                              MMO Football Game

Comment

• Originally posted by TheComeBackKid View Post
                                The only quarterback on that list who had real potential to bring a championship back to Denver was Cutler. Those stats make Plummer look great but he couldn't win when in mattered. I voted they were all bums in Denver!
                                Who on the Broncos did you actually think played well in any of the three playoff losses? Steelers had over 36 minutes of possession, and Big Ben completed 21 of 29 throws for 275 yards (all most 14 yards per pass), and the O-line could not open run lanes and could not protect the QB.

Did you like the defensive play against the Colts where the receiver got up and ran for a touchdown because no-one touched him, and did you like seeing Manning burn our corners in both games, and our run games being shut down.

Most were bitter after the AFC championship - but saying that Plummer could not win big games after eliminating PATRIOTS is a bit to far fetched.

Exactly how many times did the Cutler led Broncos pull out wins over Patriots and Colt. He never took the team to the playoffs and I doubt seriously that he would have been competitive having the Denver O-Line from 22 january 2006, being hit excessively by Joey Porter (it looked like gang rape) and against a Steelers team that plain dominated.

I will give that maybe Cutlers skills could have helped in the 2003-04 wildcard game, but what about the Pats coming after but offsetting an offence scoring 41 points is difficult, even harder when they scored 49 the year after. NO I AM FORGETTING THAT PLUMMER HAD A SUPER DEFENCE AND THT WAS THE REASON FOR THE WINS

Cutler was tremendously overrated, and it is a real shame that Plummer was so unappriciated.

How many games did Cutler manage to win against an offence putting up 41 points, how many against a team putting up 49 points.

Plummer brought brought the winning spirit. I miss that!:go:
                                Last edited by BroncoFanDK; 06-22-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X