Change of Pace: Torain's Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One5 View Post
    It's really hard to fit Torain into the offense. I believe Moreno is talented enough, and has the work-ethic, to become a full-time starter for our team. I do believe he can be like the RBs of old that actually stay in the line-up the entire game, and aren't taken out. In college he was skilled in all areas; running, blocking, and catching. That eliminates the need, really, for Jordan and Buckhalter.

I honestly believe it will just be Moreno and Hillis starting this year. Hillis as a FB, but also a short yardage and goal line back. If you look at Moreno's and Hillis' talents they really shadow Jordan and Buckhalter, and I wouldn't see the need to put either in the game, other than for their veteran experience.

I really like Torain, but we spent too much on Moreno. If Torain is healthy I think we should put him on showcase during the preseason and maybe trade him to a team in need of an RB. I was really hoping Torain would be our starter this year, before the draft. But, to see him snag the spot from Moreno would really be disappointing, considering how much Moreno cost.
    No RB stays in the entire game. They are all spelled from time to time, even teams with a primary back like SF with Gore and SD with LT. No one back can carry the entire load. With Moreno, Hillis, and Torain the Broncos could have a running game like the Giants had with jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw. 2 of them had 1000 yard seasons, I would be perfectly ok with that.
    sigpic

Comment

If they all make it through camp healthy then I imagine one of them gets traded to a team that doesn't make it through camp healthy, probably for a mid-rounder or conditional pick next year.
      \

Comment

He'll get a fair chance. I think his injury-proned career is what's hurting him -No pun intended-
        sigpic
        I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
          I don't think we will use Torain. Moreno and Hillis are ahead of him. And Buckhalter is not a scrub, he was Westbrook's backup but still a very tough runner. His highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbg7dGWJpxk ... I don't know enough about LaMont Jordan, I haven't seen him play much. Torain might end in the PUP list, or get a roster spot as 3rd backup, I don't know, but I don't expect much from him.
          Wow! Thanks for posting. Buck had the misfortune of playing behind Westbrook, who I think may be one of the best all around football players in the NFL. So, he never got to showcase his stuff. He has a brutal stiff arm. Do you know if the highlights are fairly recent? Does he still have the burst and the legs?
          Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Ryan Torain

As has been stated, the big question mark is his health.

After having previously released players coming back from injury or who failed physicals, the Broncos are taking Torain to TC and are letting him continue to rehab along the way. That's a sign that the coaching staff likes his ability and attitude.

We'll see what happens when the hitting begins. If he makes it through that part to a preseason game, we'll see how he does.

Lisfranc, dislocated elbow requiring surgery and a knee ligament. At least it's not the same body part each time.

A major accomplishment will be to stay in one piece through the preseason. When he finally got to play in that one game, he was doing so well ...

The determining factor besides the health will be how he looks compared to the other RBs. Don't think the Broncos will keep more than four and they will all need to play.

Good Luck, Ryan!!!
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              As has been stated, the big question mark is his health.

After having previously released players coming back from injury or who failed physicals, the Broncos are taking Torain to TC and are letting him continue to rehab along the way. That's a sign that the coaching staff likes his ability and attitude.

We'll see what happens when the hitting begins. If he makes it through that part to a preseason game, we'll see how he does.

Lisfranc, dislocated elbow requiring surgery and a knee ligament. At least it's not the same body part each time.

A major accomplishment will be to stay in one piece through the preseason. When he finally got to play in that one game, he was doing so well ...

The determining factor besides the health will be how he looks compared to the other RBs. Don't think the Broncos will keep more than four and they will all need to play.

Good Luck, Ryan!!!

I agree. . . I think if he gets even the slightest injury (like an ingrown toenail), he is going to get cut. As you said, he was doing so well in that one game. It was starting to feel like the Broncos of old. One thing that will really help Orton and the defense is ball control and we all know that starts with the running game. :go:
              Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                No RB stays in the entire game. They are all spelled from time to time, even teams with a primary back like SF with Gore and SD with LT. No one back can carry the entire load. With Moreno, Hillis, and Torain the Broncos could have a running game like the Giants had with jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw. 2 of them had 1000 yard seasons, I would be perfectly ok with that.
                That's why I said "RBs of old". I know currently there are no backs that stay in for long. I'd say Portis is the closest to a full-time RB. I also added that Hillis would be the short yardage and goal line back. But, Other than that I think it would be Moreno in the game.

Comment

In trying to find roles for Buck and Jordan, Im still happy that we are even having a discussion about our talented RB corp.

Buck : I really beileve that Buck will have more catches than Hillis because he will be our alternate 3rd down back. I think thats pretty safe to say considering thats what he has done with his career in Philly. I like that.

Hillis: probably coming in on Jumbo sets when we need to pound the ball. We might do a duel RB system with Moreno/Hillis (which I would love), but I feel its unlikely knowing the sytem he comes from. Either way I feel he will be productive again this year, I just hope we give him the carries.

Jordon: A lot of people question this pick up but I love it. He has been in the sytem that McD comes from so right away he will help teach the RBs. This is huge. Most of us know how compicated McDs system is, so to have a player like Jordan who can also help on short run plays and teach is a great step in developing a RB corp.

Torain: We all saw his flashes of brilliance. I feel he can succeed in the NFL, and so do most of you, IF he stays healthy. Thats a big IF. But say he stays healthy, I feel he would jump into a 2 down back up role behind Moreno. This could give Knowshown some needed rest at times and could prove to be a potent weapon. This is the best case scenario. Overall though anything to say about Ryans role is speculative at best.

Overall I really like the potential that our RB corp offers. It will be interesting to see their roles once TC finally gets here.

Comment

Torain to the P-Squad until he shows he can stay healthy for a month. With his upright, lumbering running style, I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                    X