Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statistics and their relevance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Stats are important for planning, looking for tendencies, helping to rate players, etc etc. Metrics ar mor eimportant though, becaus ethey give more context to stats.
    sigpic

    I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

    Comment


    • #32
      Yes, but at the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the W/L. I'm guessing many of you don't sit there pissed off after a win because we played terrible, and I'm guessing many of you aren't happy after we lose because we played a solid game. The truth about stats is you can pretty much spin them anyway you please, which makes them very misleading. Then there is the problem of opinion on which stats are more important and which stats are meaningless, and really you can sit there and argue all day and both sides will think they are right, and probably, the stats they came up with back there thoughts. Its just really hard sometimes to say that this stat matters more than that one, because there are so many different situations that may come into play as well (playing conditions as an example).

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
        Yes, but at the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the W/L. I'm guessing many of you don't sit there pissed off after a win because we played terrible, and I'm guessing many of you aren't happy after we lose because we played a solid game. The truth about stats is you can pretty much spin them anyway you please, which makes them very misleading. Then there is the problem of opinion on which stats are more important and which stats are meaningless, and really you can sit there and argue all day and both sides will think they are right, and probably, the stats they came up with back there thoughts. Its just really hard sometimes to say that this stat matters more than that one, because there are so many different situations that may come into play as well (playing conditions as an example).
        I had my wife sit down with me once to watch a Bill Parcells post-game press conference. He was pretty grumpy ... you know ... like he always is.

        My wife asked, "What's his problem? Did they lose?"

        I said, "No. This is what he's like after a win."

        Don't be talkin' any stats with Bill.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by iowabronco24 View Post
          Yes, but at the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the W/L. I'm guessing many of you don't sit there pissed off after a win because we played terrible, and I'm guessing many of you aren't happy after we lose because we played a solid game. The truth about stats is you can pretty much spin them anyway you please, which makes them very misleading. Then there is the problem of opinion on which stats are more important and which stats are meaningless, and really you can sit there and argue all day and both sides will think they are right, and probably, the stats they came up with back there thoughts. Its just really hard sometimes to say that this stat matters more than that one, because there are so many different situations that may come into play as well (playing conditions as an example).
          Reminds me of the story:

          There were 3 racers: USA, Russia, and China (Nothing racial, just as I heard it) Chinese finished 1st, USA 2nd and Russia third

          The Russian report read: RUSSIA WINS BRONZE MEDAL !!!! ... USA finishes next to last, ... Chinese barely edge out USA

          Stats can be made to prove anything you want - Wins are still the only stat that trully matters

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
            Fantastic post! A lot more objective than many I have read recently.

            I would just like to add one thing. Basing a players performance by their combine running time means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Being able to run in a straight line with no pads on and no pressure to do anything else does not make you a good football player. It makes you a good track star. Unfortunately, being a track star doesn't win football games.
            You're right, that's why they have a shuttle event at the combine as well...guess where your boy Smith was...about the bottom...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by pzmire View Post
              Reminds me of the story:

              There were 3 racers: USA, Russia, and China (Nothing racial, just as I heard it) Chinese finished 1st, USA 2nd and Russia third

              The Russian report read: RUSSIA WINS BRONZE MEDAL !!!! ... USA finishes next to last, ... Chinese barely edge out USA

              Stats can be made to prove anything you want - Wins are still the only stat that trully matters
              But you determine how and why you won by looking at the statistics that make up those wins. If you want to look at football at it's most basic level thats fine, but others like me want to delve deeper to see why someone won and what winning teams have in common. That's why I posted all those QB stats, to show that being in the top 15 really meant nothing in terms of going to the playoffs (Less than 50% chance in terms of yards, TD's, Completion Percentage and QB Rating). However, the 11 out of the top 15 defenses in points per game made the playoffs (73.3%).

              Think of it like a treasure map. Wins and Losses are the "X marks the spot" and statistics represent the path you take to get to the "X".
              http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=30412676
              MMO Football Game

              I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

              Comment


              • #37
                Because stats are concrete. Without stats, arguments would be based on pure biased opinion (i.e. they would be worthless).
                XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
                  Because stats are concrete. Without stats, arguments would be based on pure biased opinion (i.e. they would be worthless).
                  Arguments are probably more of a fan's point of view.

                  When coaches break down film with players working on a game plan, I doubt if stats play much of a role.

                  Defensive game plans are totally based on the opposing offense's situational tendencies (i.e., down and distance, field position, hash mark, etc.), but those stats are not for the fans being strictly in-house. Those stats are to help the DC make the calls.

                  Offenses watch film in order to help them read the D. The C studies the opposing front seven in order to make line calls and those are practiced on the field in preparation for game day. The QB studies a ton of film in an attempt to recognize what he sees pre-snap.

                  Not too many stats there. It's mostly visual. Post-game film study helps position coaches isolate and correct fundamental problems in the technique of individual players.

                  Team stats are useful in showing areas that need improvement, but most of that stuff is known by players and coaches alike (some fans, too) right after a game without needing statistics except for quantification.
                  Last edited by samparnell; 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X