Bowlen repeats mistakes of the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowlen repeats mistakes of the past

Let me preface this by saying I like Pat Bowlen and I do agree he is one of the best owners in sports. But having said that I also firmly believe he has repeated his mistake of giving the head coach too much authority.

If you look at model franchises they typically have a strong GM that has responsibility for hiring/firing the coach and also has responsibility for the draft. Bowlen has given McDaniels the same kind of authority he had given Shanahan. This has already blown up with the Cutler fiasco.

If you look at the teams that have lasting success they also have excellent GM's. Look at the teams that had a quick turn-around last year. They had strong GM's. I'm not going to knock Xanders but lets be realistic. He executes the deals McDaniels wants him to make. Bowlen already acknowledged the mistakes that were made in this year's draft were McDaniels mistakes.

In my opinion the Broncos need to hire a GM that will take the personnel responsibilities away from McDaniels. If the Broncos had hired a GM before they hired a head coach I can almost guarantee we would still have Cutler. What GM in his right mind would get rid of a franchise QB? A strong GM would have made Cutler and McDaniels work it out. Sorry, but Xanders is a lackey, puppet, etc. The same way Sundquist was for Shanahan.

Hopefully, Bowlen will realize his mistake and bring in a real GM that will not let McD make personnel decisions on his own. Why wait until after McD is canned in a couple of years?

This is the kind of post that can really come back to bite you in the ssa. McD's success in Denver is as of yet an unknown as is Cutlers future progress. I think the talking heads made more of his arm and franchise status than he ever lived up to. Although unconventional by most standards there is a strong possibility that McDaniels changes in personnel and scheme will benefit the franchise immediately. Can't get much worse than the last 3 years ya gotta admit. Cutler was overrated and you're selling McD short.

Here's hoping you are dead wrong...
    [sigpic

Comment

Users repeat threads of the past (and present).
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        and some try to make themselves feel superior by pointing it out.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
          and some try to make themselves feel superior by pointing it out.
          Maybe you, I don't know really.
          sigpic

Comment

I hope I'm wrong too

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
            This is the kind of post that can really come back to bite you in the ssa. McD's success in Denver is as of yet an unknown as is Cutlers future progress. I think the talking heads made more of his arm and franchise status than he ever lived up to. Although unconventional by most standards there is a strong possibility that McDaniels changes in personnel and scheme will benefit the franchise immediately. Can't get much worse than the last 3 years ya gotta admit. Cutler was overrated and you're selling McD short.

Maybe McD will pull off a miracle season against the odds and we'll go to the playoffs. But I doubt it.

If you look at the franchise models that have had continued success the one thing they have in common is a strong front office. This was the problem Denver had for years. Shanny was making all of the decisions a GM should have been making. Enter McD. But what's worse is Bowlen has given this same level of authority to an unproven rookie head coach. I can't think of a single example where a rookie head coach has been given this kind of authority and succeeded. No, Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh is not that example. Pittsburgh has in place a strong front office and player personnel people. They were all in place well before he arrived. My point is that it seems extremely unlikely a rookie coach can succeed having that much authority.
            Look at Seattle. Mike Holmgren was a proven head coach with a Superbowl win. But his GM responsibilities were removed by the owner because he was pulled in too many directions. How can a rookie head coach handle that kind of responsibility? And don't tell me Xanders is handling that. He's does nothing more than execute the deals that McD wants.

Comment

I don't think anyone trumped up Cutler's ability....he was a human highlight...but I digress.

Yeah, I don't get why Bowlen gave him that much power...but, we gotta see what he does with it. I'm all for it, just freakin win baby
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

It was Bowlen that decided to trade Cutler, not McDaniels.

I'm willing to give Xanders a chance and see how he does before I throw him under any buses.

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post

the same can be said for all you people posting how great he mcd is. so contradictory to all the posts saying lets wait and see. howabout all you people with super mcd love affairs lets us with less biased opinions say how we feel without bashing us. the op made good points but you just push them aside. not fair if you ask me but im sure ill get bashed the same way the op did.

Comment

i dont remember seeing this before, at least not of late.
                    if this were a post saying how great mcdaniels is you wouldnt have said a thing. yet thats all i see anymore. howbout some democracy here sir.

Comment

The problem is that you don't know if this is a mistake yet. McD can be the best scout of our time (or the worst). The point is that you don't know. No one does. The only thing we know is that Shanny wasn't the best scout.

If Orton throws for 3500 to 3800 yards 25 TDs and 16 INTs, and this draft class ends up being the best we've had in years, then Bowlen and McD will both look like geniuses. If not, then you are right, it was a mistake. But we don't know yet.
                      Last edited by Crazy8; 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A`M][LE H][GHER View Post
                        i dont remember seeing this before, at least not of late.
                        if this were a post saying how great mcdaniels is you wouldnt have said a thing. yet thats all i see anymore. howbout some democracy here sir.
                        If you haven't seen other threads discussing McDaniels' control over the Broncos, then... Well, I can't tell what you are without getting IPs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                          The problem is that you don't know if this is a mistake yet. McD can be the best scout of our time (or the worst). The point is that you don't know. No one does. The only thing we know is that Shanny wasn't the best scout.

If Orton throws for 3500 to 3800 yards 25 TDs and 16 INTs, and this draft class ends up being the best we've had in years, then Bowlen and McD will both look like geniuses. If not, then you are right, it was a mistake. But we don't know yet.
                          agreed. we have to wait and see if these losses and aquisitions work in our favor or not. however i believe the mistake the op was talking about are about bowling allowing his coaches to have too much power. which i think we can all agree is a fault of bowlens ownership abilities. he even said when he fired shanny that whomever he hired wasnt going to have the power he did yet it looks as if mcdaniels does.

Comment

If you haven't seen other threads discussing McDaniels' control over the Broncos, then... Well, I can't tell what you are without getting IPs.
                            if you cant have a discussion without calling people names then you prob need anger management and shouldnt be posting until this is fixed. i guess everyone should agree with you right?

Comment

and why arent you getting on the people who are claiming mcd is a genius over and over? if you can call out posters for being repetitive then i feel as if you should be doing it on those posts as well. no?

Comment

Working...
                              X