X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst moves of the offseason

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/314371...st_worst_moves

Broncos deal Cutler
    We can debate for hours about who was to blame for the wedge driven between Jay Cutler and the Broncos. Was the quarterback too sensitive? Was the coach, Josh McDaniels, too na�ve? Was the agent, Bus Cook, too involved?

All of the above, probably.

But what’s beyond debate is that when a player goes rogue and threatens not only the new coaching staff but the authority of the owner, that player has to go. And Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, who’s forgotten more about the ways and means of the NFL then a player like Cutler will ever know, finally gave the OK for his staff to ship Cutler to the Bears for a bounty of high draft picks and a fairly competent replacement, Kyle Orton. )
    something to cheer you guys up if ya need it

i agree with this article for the most part, cept i don't think cassell is a steal

but the rest of his best and worst list seem accurate and probably will be correct
    sigpic

Broncos add some punch
    The Broncos were 26th in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game in 2008. They picked off just six passes all season. The question of whether Brian Dawkins, who turns 36 in October, can fix the Denver defense is moot. The more pressing question is, “Can he make it better?”

Given that he recorded 142 tackles, six forced fumbles and was the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Month last December is a good indication that he can. The Broncos also added corner Andre Goodman as a free agent from the Dolphins, and he’ll be in a corner tandem with the always excellent Champ Bailey.

Without a more significant pass rush in 2009, Dawkins and Co. may suffer the same fate as the 2008 secondary, but until then, Dawkins' addition remains a smart move.
    This was also part of that article. I agree that getting Dawkins was a good move, but I highlighted the significant point... if the pass rush is not improved the additions in the secondary will prove to be pointless.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
      This was also part of that article. I agree that getting Dawkins was a good move, but I highlighted the significant point... if the pass rush is not improved the additions in the secondary will prove to be pointless.
      There doesn't appear to be any statistical correlation between pass rush and interceptions. The top 5 pass rushing teams had INT totals of 8, 20, 15, 12, and 20. The bottom 5? 10, 13, 12, 23, 10.

Furthermore, the teams with 20+ interceptions ranked 1, 5, 11, 20, 22, 25, and 30 in sacks in '08.
      Last edited by Lomax; 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM.
      "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

you guys....... WHENEVER a writer writes about how we did something wrong, everyone here immediately says "what the hell does he know? He's just paid fan and needs to get better at covering sports"

When they praise us or say something good about us, it becomes fact. Make up your minds guys.

The Future

NBA's Greatest Player Ever

Comment

Originally posted by Snake=Superbowl View Post
          you guys....... WHENEVER a writer writes about how we did something wrong, everyone here immediately says "what the hell does he know? He's just paid fan and needs to get better at covering sports"

When they praise us or say something good about us, it becomes fact. Make up your minds guys.
          Personally, I tend to look for objective viewpoints. When a writer says the equivalent of: "The Broncos will suck because McDaniels will suck because he's young and he traded Cutler and Cutler was the only good thing the Broncos had besides Marshall", well clearly there was very little thought or analysis that went in to that.

If an article gives good reasons why we will suck, giving a statistical breakdown of how new coaches fare when leaving winning programs or when teams have a large amount of player turnover, I think that's cool and very interesting.

"Cutler is great and now he's gone. McDaniels is a bad coach. Broncos suck forever." Well, not so much.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
            There doesn't appear to be any statistical correlation between pass rush and interceptions. The top 5 pass rushing teams had INT totals of 8, 20, 15, 12, and 20. The bottom 5? 10, 13, 12, 23, 10.

Furthermore, the teams with 20+ interceptions ranked 1, 5, 11, 20, 22, 25, and 30 in sacks in '08.
            What do you mean by "pash rushing" team? Are you talking about pass defense, or is there another section which uses sacks, hurries, and blitzes to get stats?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake=Superbowl View Post

All of these replies seem pretty objective, I've seen some posts that warrant your allegation though. Personally I'd like to stuff a post game Broncos jockstrap in Adam Schein's mouth and give it about three wraps of gorilla tape. If this is illegal I retract this post
              [sigpic

Comment

Personally, I tend to look for objective viewpoints. When a writer says the equivalent of: "The Broncos will suck because McDaniels will suck because he's young and he traded Cutler and Cutler was the only good thing the Broncos had besides Marshall", well clearly there was very little thought or analysis that went in to that.

If an article gives good reasons why we will suck, giving a statistical breakdown of how new coaches fare when leaving winning programs or when teams have a large amount of player turnover, I think that's cool and very interesting.

"Cutler is great and now he's gone. McDaniels is a bad coach. Broncos suck forever." Well, not so much.
                Very well said. It's the context of how the article was written.

Comment

Originally posted by EDavis View Post
                  What do you mean by "pash rushing" team? Are you talking about pass defense, or is there another section which uses sacks, hurries, and blitzes to get stats?
                  Just sacks. People are saying that because the Broncos don't get to the QB, their INT totals will suffer, regardless of the defensive backfield. Statistically, that doesn't seem to be based in reality.

sigpic

Comment

Just sacks. People are saying that because the Broncos don't get to the QB, their INT totals will suffer, regardless of the defensive backfield. Statistically, that doesn't seem to be based in reality.
                    theyre not talking about just int's, it's how long the quarterback has to throw on average. remember all those times when champ gave up catches because the QB had 10 seconds to throw the ball?
                    Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                    vs.
                    Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                    Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                    First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Originally posted by Goatmaster View Post
                      theyre not talking about just int's, it's how long the quarterback has to throw on average. remember all those times when champ gave up catches because the QB had 10 seconds to throw the ball?
                      I'm not arguing with that. But people are definitely connecting our league-worst interception totals last season with our poor pass rush. To the point where they are discounting the regime's focus on finding "ball hawks" because we didn't focus more attention on the line.

sigpic

Comment

The Best of The Worst

Obviously the worst move, firing Shanahan and hiring Xanders(?) and McDaniels. This move alone has set the Broncos back years. I'd agree things were a bit stale with Shanny, but we still had a powerful offense and only needed to fix the defense. Now we still have to fix the defense along with the offense. I was a when bit sceptical when these two were hired but based souly on the moves that have been made, they are lost.

On the bright side I like the Dawkins and Davis signings. I thought the second day of the draft was a solid A. We'll see how it all works out, hopefully I am wrong and this new regime does well.

Comment

the best move getting dawkins

the worst.... everything else

Comment

I love it !!!!!! Great stat Cp coming to you!!!!!

Comment

Offseason moves

Best=Firing Shanahan

Worst=Firing Jim Ryan
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X