Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look instead Rich Tuten's conditioning program

A Change of Scenery

On one trip, Josh Barrett climbed the bleachers at Red Rocks using only his upper body. PHOTO: GRAY CALDWELL / DENVERBRONCOS.COM

By Gray Caldwell
    DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If you happened to be at Red Rocks Park and Ampitheatre last Wednesday, chances are you heard what might have sounded like a stampede heading up and down the venue's bleachers.

No, it wasn't a rush for Phish tickets at the box office. Rather it was a group of 20 Broncos -- ranging from offensive and defensive linemen to wide receivers and safeties -- using the setting for a little twist on their average workout.

Under the supervision of strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, the players headed up to the ampitheatre and got ready for some serious conditioning drills. As the players stood at the top row of the seating, the view caught the attention of many who had never made the trip to Red Rocks.

"I think I'm more of a tourist than a person trying to work out right now," Robert Ayers joked.

As more players started to arrive, they took a look at the 70 or so rows of bleachers and realized what they were about to get themselves into. Even players who had finished the workout before were a little intimidated.

"We're ready," Carlton Powell said. "We're always ready, but it definitely is a whole lot bigger than I remember from last time. And it's a whole lot hotter. But hey, let's get it."

So following Tuten's orders, the group started at the bottom of the venue and climbed the bleachers all the way to the top row -- and the width of the rows meant it typically took more than one step to reach the next level.

After one trip it became apparent that this workout would be no walk in the park (and ampitheatre).

"Your adrenaline is going the first one and then it's kind of, 'Uh-oh, this is a lot harder than I thought,'" Brandon Lloyd said. "It kind of hits you once you get going. It's not just a lung exercise -- your legs start feeling it, your hip flexors, your quads, your hamstrings and everything kind of comes in the picture."

After getting a feel for the exercise, the players got to invent their own ways to get to the top.

"Sometimes we lunged, sprinted, climbed up a wall -- it's not easy," Jeb Putzier said. "A lot the guys here are over 300 pounds, so it's a lot of hard work."

As Josh Barrett sprinted up the bleachers for one of his repetitions, teammates cheered him on -- "Josh Barrett wants to be a champion!"

When he got to the top and took a rest, the players began talking about how they had to head back down and start all over again. That brought on a humorous conversation about fictional boxer Rocky Balboa.

"Rocky thought he was a champion after running up the stairs once," Powell joked about the movie icon. "That's why he didn't win in the first movie."

So the group headed back down the bleachers only to trek back up again. In all, the group made 10 trips up and down the venue.

Possibly the most inventive way to the top involved Barrett.

"The most interesting thing I did today definitely had to be the wheelbarrow walk up, where my legs were being held and I had to use pretty much upper body, and it kind of ties in your core a little bit," he explained. "It was definitely hard work."

Lloyd took a few trips to the top by hopping with both feet up the first 30 bleachers, then hopping on his left foot for the next 20 and on his right foot for the final 20. He said he enjoyed that way, but there's no shame in making it up any way possible.

"I think the best way of going up is just walking," he laughed. "And even walking your legs are still burning."

One of the most frequent comments before and after the workout was that the players enjoyed the change of scenery. As tough as the Red Rocks run was, it's fun to find new ways to exercise, and finishing up a taxing workout is always a good feeling.

"It's a great workout, and there are only so many opportunities you get to do something like this," Barrett said. "Yeah, it's hard work, but it gives you an opportunity to come up here and bond with some of your teammates and get some good work in. And it's beautiful -- you can't beat the environment up here.

"It's just a lot of fun."
    Goodness, Im hurting just reading this article!!!!
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

I had to run the Red Rocks when I played HS Soccer for a local school, seriously most agonizing grueling workout ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Epic View Post
      I had to run the Red Rocks when I played HS Soccer for a local school, seriously most agonizing grueling workout ever.
      Dude, I envy you not.....
      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Josh Barret, is a CRAZY athlete!!!!!!!!!! if they can teach him how to really play ball...he'll be a BEASTTTTTTTTTTt

Comment

Josh Barrett is pretty much our own Taylor Mays, a beast that needs to be developed. I know Mays is a better tackler/hitter, but when he gets in the NFL, Barrett will have similar workout measureables with 2 seasons of professional experience. His physical qualities are insane like his potential.
          sigpic

Comment

That's definitely quite a change. Just when I thought they had their bases all covered, they're working yet on another aspect of the game.
            You gotta like what you see. I sound optimist, but I can't help it when you see how this team is taking care of business right now.
            Conditioning is so important that it separates the great players in the league from the average ones.
            I remember seeing documental on ESPN and HBO about the conditioning regime of LaDainian Tomlinson, Shawn Merriman, Junior Seau. Those guys stand out because their physical condition allows them to wear out their opponents...

Glad the Broncos are having fun doing it! :thumb:
            Last edited by dragster69; 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM.
            sigpic
            I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Im sorry I completly but im going to disagree (what else is new) withthe majority of you guys here. I personally think Rich Tuten should have been one of the first Coach's let go, I have long believed that his workout routines suck and combine that with Mike Shannhand cupcake training camps and you can understand why this team always burned out by the end of the season.

I mean even reading the article you get the impression that these guys are having fun laughing it up, hopping up stairs, and what not... If your working your but off laughing is the last thing you will be doing, more like throwing up or falling out.. Not making up ways to get to the top of the stairs, thats not a workout thats having fun.

I have long since believed that the Broncos need to get a better Strength and Conditioning Coach, maybe get one that has a MMA or Boxing background. No im not talking about making these guys fighters im just talking about getting them in tip top shape.

That workout in the article sounded comical, they should try doing one like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7THe...om=PL&index=48
              7/15 48 yrds 0 td's 1 INT - Jay Cutler the "Pro-Bowler" at the 2009 Pro-Bowl. sigpic Ah-Dah!

Comment

Im sorry I completly but im going to disagree (what else is new) withthe majority of you guys here. I personally think Rich Tuten should have been one of the first Coach's let go, I have long believed that his workout routines suck and combine that with Mike Shannhand cupcake training camps and you can understand why this team always burned out by the end of the season.

I mean even reading the article you get the impression that these guys are having fun laughing it up, hopping up stairs, and what not... If your working your but off laughing is the last thing you will be doing, more like throwing up or falling out.. Not making up ways to get to the top of the stairs, thats not a workout thats having fun.

I have long since believed that the Broncos need to get a better Strength and Conditioning Coach, maybe get one that has a MMA or Boxing background. No im not talking about making these guys fighters im just talking about getting them in tip top shape.

That workout in the article sounded comical, they should try doing one like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7THe...om=PL&index=48

Notice all the laughing Wandy was doing in that video?...
                7/15 48 yrds 0 td's 1 INT - Jay Cutler the "Pro-Bowler" at the 2009 Pro-Bowl. sigpic Ah-Dah!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoslifer78 View Post

ROFL MMA or Boxing trainer

ROFL
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I like what I see. One thing I can say about this McD era, is that it's brought a new attitude to this team that was needed. We may see results toward the end of the season.

By the way, I'm a workout warrior myself, but what the hell was Josh Barrett thinking. Thats insane man. This guy's gonna be a beast, especially with weapon x to learn from. :go:
                    Co-founders of the

sigpic

Comment

making the workouts new and interesting works great. players forget about fatigue a little bit more and can keep going longer and harder. players are more likely to keep going and putting effort in when they think "y'know, I want to try this out" instead of "oh god when will this end"
                      Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                      vs.
                      Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                      Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                      First Round Pick TBA

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        ROFL MMA or Boxing trainer

ROFL
                        haha did you watch the video? That stuff looks way intense.. but I'm with you.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                          A Change of Scenery

On one trip, Josh Barrett climbed the bleachers at Red Rocks using only his upper body. PHOTO: GRAY CALDWELL / DENVERBRONCOS.COM

By Gray Caldwell
                          DenverBroncos.com

Goodness, Im hurting just reading this article!!!!
                          I'm wondering if I'm going to be sore just thinking about the "wheelbarrow" workout Barrett did.......ouch!!!!!
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoslifer78 View Post

i agree with you on the Tuten assessment
                            I don't think the guy is a bad trainer, it's more like he's fell behing with what everybody else is doing
                            Last year for example we've had a lot of injuries on our team. That's got to raise some eyebrows of concern for sure...
                            So, I think this year with injuries being a huge story last year, that McDaniels is probably revising the way Tuten leads his training
                            I don't remember our team doing this kind of workout. It's always been in the weight room. That's not what I would call "conditioning"
                            sigpic
                            I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
                              i agree with you on the Tuten assessment
                              I don't think the guy is a bad trainer, it's more like he's fell behing with what everybody else is doing
                              Last year for example we've had a lot of injuries on our team. That's got to raise some eyebrows of concern for sure...
                              So, I think this year with injuries being a huge story last year, that McDaniels is probably revising the way Tuten leads his training
                              I don't remember our team doing this kind of workout. It's always been in the weight room. That's not what I would call "conditioning"
                              This is a normal workout for the Broncos. From the article:

"We're ready," Carlton Powell said. "We're always ready, but it definitely is a whole lot bigger than I remember from last time. And it's a whole lot hotter. But hey, let's get it."

Comment

Working...
                              X