Pre-Camp State of the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
    That's funny, neither has Matt Cassel. I respect some Chiefs fans opinion. That being said I wonder if your eyes are brown. Don't get me started on what the Chiefs have done in recent history. It's amazing that you can even talk trash about our position this off season, when you also traded away your best player to the falcons, and have Larry Johnson pulling a Brandon Marshall. We both got our staff from New England, and we are both starting one hit wonder QB's from other teams. Talk about calling the kettle black. I think you had better go reevaluate your teams position before coming over here making up this garbage.
    Trading a 33 yr old tight end vs. Trading a 25 yr old qb. Hmmm what's worse?

And apparently you haven't been paying attention to nfl news. Where did you get that lj is pullin a b.marshall? Quite the opposite my friend. Been to every single practice and on his best behavior. Has also said he wants to stay...

And the difference between orton and. Cassel is big. Cassel had a good rating a completion percentage. Ortons is trash. Cassel actually made plays. Orton didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
      Stranger things have happened, and wouldn't Josh have the last laugh in that case!

Oh the backstroking we would see around here!!

'Oh, I didn't mean it, I really loved McD from the start!'

Hahahahahaha...
      Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
      Wouldn't that be a hoot?

It seems that that scenario is coming up more and more often; not only on the board, but also in casual 'Broncos talk' with friends, family and other fans.

No one knows, of course, but it does provide for some interesting feelings. He might even be forced in to action a la Brady and then just never looks back.

Synchronicities... oh my!
      Originally posted by topscribe View Post
      Maybe McD wants to see whether he can groom Brandstater for the future?

The kid does have some tools . . .

-----

That would be richer than New York cheesecake
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefs > You View Post
        Trading a 33 yr old tight end vs. Trading a 25 yr old qb. Hmmm what's worse?

And apparently you haven't been paying attention to nfl news. Where did you get that lj is pullin a b.marshall? Quite the opposite my friend. Been to every single practice and on his best behavior. Has also said he wants to stay...

And the difference between orton and. Cassel is big. Cassel had a good rating a completion percentage. Ortons is trash. Cassel actually made plays. Orton didn't.
        His age doesn't change the fact he was your best player last year. (Which is not saying much)
        As for LJ I took my info right from your very own fan base. Apperantly, you are the only one sticking up for him, because he is constantly being trashed for his attitude by everyone else.

As for the whole cassel vs. Orton nonsense you are spewing has nothing to do with anything. Admit it. You hate this team, you cannot look at this objectivly, so maybe it's time for you to go rally around your own fan base since your poor attitude is not welcome here. At least then you might learn some facts about your own team.
        Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
          His age doesn't change the fact he was your best player last year. (Which is not saying much)
          As for LJ I took my info right from your very own fan base. Apperantly, you are the only one sticking up for him, because he is constantly being trashed for his attitude by everyone else.

As for the whole cassel vs. Orton nonsense you are spewing has nothing to do with anything. Admit it. You hate this team, you cannot look at this objectivly, so maybe it's time for you to go rally around your own fan base since your poor attitude is not welcome here. At least then you might learn some facts about your own team.
          Are you saying trading a young qb is the same as trading an old TE?

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/824
          http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-and-otherwise
          http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-footb...%99chiefs.html

Choose one. Read. Retract your statements. Repeat.

I do hate the Broncos. I admit that. Just like you (should) hate the Chiefs. We are rival teams here. But I am objective. It's the truth. Sorry. I dont see how a coach alienating his 2 best players makes the team better. I dont see how getting a former Rex Grossman backup makes the team better. I dont see how drafting a RB in the 1st round makes your 29th ranked D better. I dont see how trading a 1st for a 2nd round pick makes your team better. I dont see how McDaniels makes your team better.

Comment

I do hate the Broncos. I admit that. Just like you (should) hate the Chiefs. We are rival teams here. But I am objective. It's the truth. Sorry. I dont see how a coach alienating his 2 best players makes the team better. I dont see how getting a former Rex Grossman backup makes the team better. I dont see how drafting a RB in the 1st round makes your 29th ranked D better. I dont see how trading a 1st for a 2nd round pick makes your team better. I dont see how McDaniels makes your team better.
            First off there is nothing to retract. You are assuming I was trolling the KC boards to get my info, when in fact I was hearing it first hand at the local "Chiefs Hangout" here in SLC. (Yes, I was shocked when I heard there was a fan base here too.)

Now I'm sure LJ has got his act together. A couple years back I even used him on my fantasy team to great effect. I'm just telling you what other members of your fan base are telling me.

I don't hate the chiefs. We are rivals true, but the Chiefs are the least annoying rival in the division. See where this subject went wrong is when I tried to point out that our teams had many of the same concerns, and instead of looking at it objectively you decided it was a better idea to pick a fight on the subject.

By the way. You have misconstrued the facts a little. Cutler was not forced out of Denver, or alienated. Both sides had the opportunity to mend fences, but instead he decided he would rather be traded. He made that choice, it was not made for him. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

What I will say is that regardless of anyone's opinion on the subject 1 player does not define a whole team. You are welcome to see things however you choose that is your right. What you should not expect, however is to have a negative opinion of the Broncos shared when you are preaching those ideas to the teams loyal fan base.
            Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Orton may or may not succeed, but that is not to say that he is the only option at QB for the future of the Denver Broncos.

He could play out his contract this year and be gone, who knows?

I still say the primary reason for including him in the trade was to give the Broncos another veteran QB option. In other words, he was a short-term answer.

What he does with this opportunity remains to be seen.

I have an open mind, and I am willing to judge him on his own merit, and if he is not getting the job done, I will be calling for Chtris Simms...and if he fails, I will be calling for the Broncos to draft another QB for 2010.

In any case, Cutler was not going to work out, so that chapter had to end, and personally, I don't think we lost as much as some assume.
              And that's the best way to put it.
              I'm not sold on him either, but you have to give the Broncos FO some credit for signing a guy they needed as an insurance for one year.
              That works great both ways; the Broncos can see how he'll do in a total new system with a great opportunity to succeed given the players he'll be surrounded with.
              The other way to look at it is Orton playing for a new contract, be it with the Broncos or somebody else, so his drive to accomplish that goal is a big plus for us. He'll be playing to prove something, not only to the Broncos, but to the whole NFL
              I personally think he'll help us out more than what people are willing to concede...
              sigpic
              I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

Whatever.

Maybe you will figure it out when the Broncos sweep your team, because they
                WILL be better than the Chiefs.

I don't see where moving to a 3-4 helps Glenn Dorsey.

I don't see where reaching for an under-achieving Tyson Jackson helps your team.

I see your O-Line as on the decline, and beyond Dwayne Bowe, you have no receiving threats now.
                Brian Waters wants out and Branden Alberts already has an injury concern, and no matter how you slice it, and Larry Johnson is an unpredictable knucklehead, so to count on him being an elite rushing threat again is a reach.

I see YOUR team with penty of holes and problems of it's own, as they DID just select third in the NFL draft, which means they completely suck, and now they have enlisted the leftover coaching choice in Todd Haley to fix it, the guy no one else was interested in hiring.

Brilliant.

Come back and talk your lame smack when your team actually does something other than be one of the five worst teams in the entire NFL.

'Objective' my a**, the Broncos will sweep your sorry excuse for a football team this season, bank on it.
                Last edited by MindField; 06-28-2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Your team has gone from average to terrible. That's as objective as I can get. Sorry. What do you want me to do? Say you're team is good? I cant sorry. You guys lost the best player you had and you're on the verge of losing the next one. You traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick.

Tell me, what do you want me to say?
                  Last time I checked your team was paying a 5 tech defensive end top 5 money.

LOL.

Last time I checked your team went 2-14 last year.

LOL.

How's Glenn Dorsey working out for you?

LOL.

And your trying to talk our team down when juding from your posts you don't know a thing about football.

LOL.
                  1. LB Arthur Brown Kansas State
                  2. SS Dj Swearinger South Carolina

Comment

Whatever.

Maybe you will figure it out when the Broncos sweep your team, because they
                    WILL be better than the Chiefs.

I don't see where moving to a 3-4 helps Glenn Dorsey.

I don't see where reaching for an under-achieving Tyson Jackson helps your team.

I see your O-Line as on the decline, and beyond Dwayne Bowe, you have no receiving threats now.
                    Brian Waters wants out and Branden Alberts already has an injury concern, and no matter how you slice it, and Larry Johnson is an unpredictable knucklehead, so to count on him being an elite rushing threat again is a reach.

I see YOUR team with penty of holes and problems of it's own, as they DID just select third in the NFL draft, which means they completely suck, and now they have enlisted the leftover coaching choice in Todd Haley to fix it, the guy no one else was interested in hiring.

Brilliant.

Come back and talk your lame smack when your team actually does something other than be one of the five worst teams in the entire NFL.

'Objective' my a**, the Broncos will sweep your sorry excuse for a football team this season, bank on it.
                    Last time that happened was? It will never happen. We will damn near always split the series.

And no one was interested in hiring Todd Haley? Well of course not, by the time the hires were being made, he was preparing for the superbowl. A bit too preoccupied for interviews .

We'll see how Dorsey transitions to the 3-4, but Jackson was the best 3-4 type DE in the draft.

Brian Waters doesnt want out anymore and actually came to camp(unlike one of your team MVPs) and Albert isn't a injury concern.

Comment

Good Post.

After witnessing what has been the most tumultuous offseason in Denver Broncos history, the dust has now settled, and the shape of the team is taking hold. Training Camp is now about a month away, and the NFL's dead season is nearing the end.

Here's my take on the state of the team, and how I see the Broncos as they head into the 2009 season.

Coaching:

I am on record around here as being strongly anti-Shanahan, and six months later, I remain sternly unapologetic. His philosophies became stale, and he neglected two thirds of the team. He was more concerned with meaningless offensive rankings, and constantly rationalized and made excuses for his teams shortcomings. Ten years of underachievement on the field, lackluster performances and uninspired play were enough.

Bottom line: Good riddance.

I, like any Broncos fan, will fondly remember the teams of the late 90's, and the Super Bowl Championships that gave this team legitimacy as an elite team in the annals of NFL history, and Mike Shanahan deserves 100% credit for that.

But if he deserves the credit when things went well, he also deserves the blame when it went off track, and the monumental failure of the Broncos last season in dropping three straight to cost them a playoff berth meant Shanahan's time was up.

Enter Josh McDaniels.

The Broncos lead a fairly detailed, exhaustive coaching search to replace the fired Mike Shanahan.

In addition to McDaniels, the Broncos interviewed a variety of candidates from a variety of backgrounds, and clearly in the interview process, McDaniels blew his competition away.

It does not take long to understand this guy has a plan and a vision, and he has a single-minded focus. I loved the fact that when McD was hired, he did not just speak about simply improving the Broncos defense, he made it clear the entire Broncos organization was flawed, and improvement was needed across the board. He quickly called into question the myth that the Broncos offense 'was already there' as a championship calibur unit by illustrating it's shortcomings in several key components.

In my opinion, McDaniels selection of his coaching staff was brilliant, and I loved what he was able to accomplish in free agency and the draft, especially in addressing the glaring need of improving special teams by bringing in players who can perform well in that capacity.

Of course, the big test for McDaniels is how well he can succeed in the aftermath of his showdown and subsequent trade of Jay Cutler, but in examining several areas of the team, it is clear to me the Broncos will be improved in several key areas.

Personally, I am a believer in Josh McDaniels, and I think he is going to transform the Broncos into a tougher, more well-rounded team. The Broncos were dead in the water under Shanahan, and I think Pat Bowlen realized that as well, and decided it was time for radical change at Dove Valley...and for better or worse, things will be dramatically different in Denver.

QB's

Jay Cutler is a supremely talented QB physically. I was in support of the Broncos trading up to draft him, and I supported him over his first two seasons with the Broncos, even through his growing pains, and the nagging questions that surrounded him as a leader, and in his role as the most important athlete in the city of Denver, Colorado.

I tolerated and made excuses for his on-field tantrums in the face of adversity, and his off field, post-game press conferences where his petualnt behavior rivaled that of my teenage son.

I was done with Jay Cutler after Mike Shanahan was fired, and his reluctance to embrace change and accept McDaniels as the new Head Coach. I resented his indifference and his failure to promptly return McDaniels phone calls, and I was further irritated at his bloated sense of entitlement when he basically insisted on the retention of the offensive system he had operated under Jeremy Bates, and his reaction when McDaniels chose to go in a different direction.

So while I realize the physical skills Jay Cutler possessed as a QB, I have just as many concerns about his mental makeup and his emotional maturity, which are also key components all great QB's must have.

I also believe that McDaniels soured on Jay Cutler at some point in his evaluation process, which is why the Matt Cassel trade possibility was considered.

I am not sure what I think of the trade in terms of what the Broncos got back in the deal.

I think there is a chance the Broncos could have received more in compensation for Cutler than they got if they had held out a little longer, and turned down a trade or two, but what's done is done, and it is clear McDaniels felt the Bears were the best trading partner, largely because they could get a quality veteran QB in return.

Enter Kyle Orton.

In announcing the details of the trade, McDaniels stated that he felt Kyle Orton was an 'under-rated' NFL QB that had the skills to be successful in his system. This statement is going to go a long way in determining the legitimacy of McD's evaluations of QB's, and how much he can be trusted.

The fact is, Kyle Orton has been able to lead teams to winning records in the NFL, as his 21-12 record as a starter indicates. I am also interested to see if Orton's background in the spread at Purdue will help him in his execution of McD's 'Amoeba' offense, as it has for Drew Brees in New Orleans.

Chris Simms was just starting to scratch the surface of becoming a legit NFL starting QB in Tampa when he suffered that devastating ruptured spleen, and two years out of the league has him on the comeback trail, but I for one am not counting him out yet. Simms has the size, strength and intelligence to become a very good NFL QB if given the chance.

I am also looking forward to what Tom Brandstater develops into over the next coule of years under McD's watchful eye. Brandstater has all the physical tools you look for, so he is this giant piece of clay McDaniels will be looking to mold. With time on his hands, and the luxury to learn without pressure, Brandstater could suprise down the road and develop in a similar manner that Aaron Rogers has in Green Bay...or like Matt Cassel did in New England.

Ding, dong, the witch is dead, and Jay Cutler has been traded.

Time to move on.
                      You mean the...no not dead! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

(ding dong is the BRONCOS in the BOWL) Just answer the door:go:
                      I WAS A BRONCO FAN BEFORE I WAS BORN

Comment

Working...
                      X