The impact of new NFL rules on our team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The impact of new NFL rules on our team

Last year was an adjustment period for many teams in the NFL when they altered the force out rule. It was more common to see slant routes, and passes over the middle. I also believe it was part of the contribution to Cutler forcing more passes into coverage.

Teams like New England who notoriously would lob the ball down the sidelines were effected as well. Partly, because of the switch from Cassel to Brady. In 2007, Brady tossed a ball to the sideline on damn near every other play. Last year that percentage dropped off considerably. This is one example of how that rule has effected play, not on a grand scale, but subtly.

Now we have gotten rid of the wedge block on special teams. Denver was a huge fan of the wedge block and now our special teams, along with many in the NFL will have to rethink strategy on punt, and kick returns. Before, there was a bit more organization to the chaos of players running down field. Now that aspect has been removed. This leads me to believe we are going to see more sensational, and potentially dangerous plays coming out of special teams.

The wedge block allowed you to use wideouts as returners more often, but it makes me wonder if now that position isn't going to be better handled by a pure running back who is used to running through lines without a wall of blockers ahead of them. Either way the design of the special teams play will need to be rethought on the offensive, and defensive side of the ball.

Just a post to bring up a topic that hasn't been addressed very much.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
    Last year was an adjustment period for many teams in the NFL when they altered the force out rule. It was more common to see slant routes, and passes over the middle. I also believe it was part of the contribution to Cutler forcing more passes into coverage.

Teams like New England who notoriously would lob the ball down the sidelines were effected as well. Partly, because of the switch from Cassel to Brady. In 2007, Brady tossed a ball to the sideline on damn near every other play. Last year that percentage dropped off considerably. This is one example of how that rule has effected play, not on a grand scale, but subtly.

Now we have gotten rid of the wedge block on special teams. Denver was a huge fan of the wedge block and now our special teams, along with many in the NFL will have to rethink strategy on punt, and kick returns. Before, there was a bit more organization to the chaos of players running down field. Now that aspect has been removed. This leads me to believe we are going to see more sensational, and potentially dangerous plays coming out of special teams.

The wedge block allowed you to use wideouts as returners more often, but it makes me wonder if now that position isn't going to be better handled by a pure running back who is used to running through lines without a wall of blockers ahead of them. Either way the design of the special teams play will need to be rethought on the offensive, and defensive side of the ball.

Well, it didn't work for us, the wedge.

We have to find SOME way to get better on ST.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Hadn't really thought about it, but you have an interesting point about RBs used to bursting through a line. At the same time, they're used to a line of players that aren't coming at them full speed whereas a receiver at least is used to LBs and DBs getting a head of steam before hitting them. RBs would be better at following blockers though, and even without the wedge, I assume you can still run behind a blocker or two while returning a kick.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

Well, yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying. I'm not sure how much impact this rule is going to have in the long run. Do you think it will cause more "designed" plays on special teams, as opposed to the random running down the field that is prevalent now?

Comment

Well, yeah that's pretty much what I'm saying. I'm not sure how much impact this rule is going to have in the long run. Do you think it will cause more "designed" plays on special teams, as opposed to the random running down the field that is prevalent now?
          I think so.

I think this year we may see two or even three people deep on PR.

X(blocker) O(return man) X(blocker)

I think it might actually be a little more exciting, and I can almost guarantee you there will be more mishandled punts and more fumbles on KR.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I think so.

I think it might actually be a little more exciting, and I can almost guarantee you there will be more mishandled punts and more fumbles on KR.
            One thought that occurred to me is that people have questioned our picking up of extra running backs. Part of the argument is that we had so many injured last year, but I really wonder if part of our RB signing this off season is designed to bring in players who's specific role is to fill that position on special teams. You almost need 2 backs to cover both sides of the field.

Comment

If Special Teams are coached and played properly, they all have a design.

The wedge was a middle return blocking scheme. There's still wall right or wall left. All returns are designed with specific area or man blocking resposibilities.

My favorite kick coverage is jaws, right or left. The K needs to put the ball right on the number. The opposite side of the coverage swings the jaw while the kick side runs lanes down the sideline. The danger is the last guy(s) on the jaws side getting beat outside.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

One thought that occurred to me is that people have questioned our picking up of extra running backs. Part of the argument is that we had so many injured last year, but I really wonder if part of our RB signing this off season is designed to bring in players who's specific role is to fill that position on special teams. You almost need 2 backs to cover both sides of the field.
                Your premium ST players are backers, safeties, corners, RBs, TEs and a few linemen. Larsen, Woodyard, Dumervil, Barrett, Bruton, Smith, J.Williams, Hillis, Scheffler, Quinn, Schlueter, Crowder, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  If Special Teams are coached and played properly, they all have a design.

The wedge was a middle return blocking scheme. There's still wall right or wall left. All returns are designed with specific area or man blocking resposibilities.

My favorite kick coverage is jaws, right or left. The K needs to put the ball right on the number. The opposite side of the coverage swings the jaw while the kick side runs lanes down the sideline. The danger is the last guy(s) on the jaws side getting beat outside.
                  Being that our special teams haven't been much to brag on, this means every team will have to redesign it's coverage schemes. Diffrerence is ours really needed redesigning.

No more mid field starts for the other team hopefully.
                  [sigpic

Comment

Younger, aggressive players eager to prove their worth in the NFL is a good start. Older players may tend to not be as aggressive in ST because there is a high chance of injury (maybe career ending) due to the high impact tackling on returns.

McD has jettisoned many of the prior "reclamation projects" and tried to find aggressive young players.

Obviously we have to wait to see if they pan out, but, to me, that is better than trying to elevate a player past his prime or never hit his prime.

This is going to be a very young ST group this season. Im very interested to see how they play.
                    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                      Younger, aggressive players eager to prove their worth in the NFL is a good start. Older players may tend to not be as aggressive in ST because there is a high chance of injury (maybe career ending) due to the high impact tackling on returns.

McD has jettisoned many of the prior "reclamation projects" and tried to find aggressive young players.

Obviously we have to wait to see if they pan out, but, to me, that is better than trying to elevate a player past his prime or never hit his prime.

This is going to be a very young ST group this season. Im very interested to see how they play.
                      Older players usually don't like training camp or special teams, Rod Smith being an exception.

I expect '09 preseason games to be a festival of headhunting with the '08 and '09 rookies dominating the hitting. It will be awesome!!!:clap::salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Older players usually don't like training camp or special teams, Rod Smith being an exception.

I expect '09 preseason games to be a festival of headhunting with the '08 and '09 rookies dominating the hitting. It will be awesome!!!:clap::salute!:
                        Exactly why I think moving to a younger ST unit will be good for us. Veterans dont want to risk career ending injuries like neck injuries and such on ST. But when you have a nut like Spencer Larsen out there crushing returners for the sheer joy of it, well then you get better on ST. Now make the whole squad guys like Larsen and then the returners are going to think twice about getting too gutsy on returns.
                        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

I think so.

thats what i always do on madden except that the AI is stupid so they try to rush the punter whenver i put them way back there
                          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Working...
                          X