No announcement yet.

Front Seven Depth Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as coaches and players are concerned ...

... there really is no depth chart yet.

When TC starts, the players will practice with their position coaches at first. Offense will be divied up among WRs, Backs, OL, QBs and the TEs will go either with OL or WRs and switch back and forth. Then the QBs will throw to the WRs when they're together. It works up combining groups until there are full-scale scrimmages against the D.

Same with D except a little simpler. DL, LBs and DBs. When the QBs start throwing to the WRs (working on the passing tree), the DBs might come over and practice coverages. Later on there might be seven-on-seven passing drills with the C, QB, WRs and RBs going against the backers and DBs while the lines work against each other.

Basically, each position has a group of players with a coach. The coordinators may ask the position coaches to name their starters, 2nd and 3rd guys at each spot. There are enough players for three offenses and three defenses with some extra players to rep in and out of each group. About forty players on O are going into TC as opposed to thirty-six on D. That will give each O enough extra guys to vary their formations.

In the event that three Os are going against three Ds at the same time, the coaches will be spread a little thin to observe, so the Broncos will record each one. That way, the coaches supervising the 2nd & 3rd team will probably go by a script prepared by the coordinators so that when the video is broken down, you're comparing apples to apples.

Everyone who has been through this on a football team knows it is a process ... a digestive one. In the sense that each coordinator digests the playbook and gives each position coach an installation list and order of what must be covered on a schedule. The position coach breaks that down for the players. The players practice competitively against each other; first in position, then in group and then against teammates on the other side of the ball. You could call preseason practice a winnowing out process ... separating the wheat from the chaff. The practice field is the winnowing floor.

As those who have gone through this process also know, it doesn't mean much until the pads go on and the hitting begins. Up until then it's all guessing; afterwards is when you find out.

ST is similar, but runs KO against KOR/P against PR/GLD against FGA-XPA when the scrimmages are live. Live return vs. coverage ST practices are probably used sparingly because ... you know ... because of ... stuff.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

That's right ...

Originally posted by expatRick View Post
      I also think Powell has a better chance than you give him credit for if he's fully healed.
      ... watch out for Carlton Powell, Jr!

He was a major run-stopper at Va.Tech. against some quality O-Lines (e.g., BC).

His former and current teammate, Eddie Royal, will be rooting for him, too.

Carlton is also a very high quality human being as well as a great football player.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

As far as I know Marcus Thomas is a NT.

So I say McBean starts at DE

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
          You could be right, although I have not read where Thomas has bulked up anticipating a move to NT, and at his playing weight last year, could be a fit at DE.

Crowder and Dumervil, and their role on the defense are two of the biggest questions headed into camp.
          The Broncos blog reported earlier in the offseason that both Powell and Thomas had bulked up to the 315-320 pound range. It was two separate blog reports (actually the piece about Powell might have been one of the "Top Stories".

I expect Powell to win a spot in the rotation in the preseason.........

BTW, good analysis. I hope Woodyard can keep some weight on.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Powell is a young player in the same boat as players like Crowder, Dumervil, Woodyard, etc....that is, he has the potential to be a player, and to become a solid piece of the defense, we just have to see them take that step.

But if all of these types of players hit at once, the Broncos defense could make dramatic improvements this season, and wouldn't that be nice to see.
            There's so much young potential on the defense, it makes me giddy. If several of those guys hit at once, watch the hell out. Top-10 D this year.

I like your thinking, MindField, but I think I'd flip-flop the DE a bit. I like Thomas as a RDE due to his flashes of penetrating ability. I'd like to see guys like Peterson and Powell plugging up runs to the left side.

As far as LB is concerned, I'm excited to see Crowder line up with pads on and see if he can actually contribute as an OLB. An accidental stroke of genius, indeed. If he and Thomas step up, we're halfway there with the front-seven (due to the fact that I see DJ and Ayers as good fits, and solid starters). Of course, even Ayers has to prove he can make the transition, but I have a feeling. I'm hoping Woodyard can keep the weight on and show some ability at shedding blocks.

I'm also with you on Robinson. I think he's got a lot of raw ability. He probably needs a year or so to develop behind someone, due to level of competition, but he's got heart and skills in spades. I hope he makes the active roster and not just the PS.

My guess at final roster: NT -- Fields & Baker. DE -- Thomas and Peterson starting, Powell and probably McBean as backups. Davis and Pedescleaux are dark horses. OLB -- I like Ayers and Crowder, with Doom and... Maybe Moss? Yuck. I think we could use one more good rotational guy, at least... ILB -- DJ and Davis, with Wood and Larsen (I'd like to see Robinson in there, too).

All this mental masturbation is driving me insane. Please let training camp get here!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
              There's so much young potential on the defense, it makes me giddy. If several of those guys hit at once, watch the hell out. Top-10 D this year.

I like your thinking, MindField, but I think I'd flip-flop the DE a bit. I like Thomas as a RDE due to his flashes of penetrating ability. I'd like to see guys like Peterson and Powell plugging up runs to the left side.

As far as LB is concerned, I'm excited to see Crowder line up with pads on and see if he can actually contribute as an OLB. An accidental stroke of genius, indeed. If he and Thomas step up, we're halfway there with the front-seven (due to the fact that I see DJ and Ayers as good fits, and solid starters). Of course, even Ayers has to prove he can make the transition, but I have a feeling. I'm hoping Woodyard can keep the weight on and show some ability at shedding blocks.

I'm also with you on Robinson. I think he's got a lot of raw ability. He probably needs a year or so to develop behind someone, due to level of competition, but he's got heart and skills in spades. I hope he makes the active roster and not just the PS.

My guess at final roster: NT -- Fields & Baker. DE -- Thomas and Peterson starting, Powell and probably McBean as backups. Davis and Pedescleaux are dark horses. OLB -- I like Ayers and Crowder, with Doom and... Maybe Moss? Yuck. I think we could use one more good rotational guy, at least... ILB -- DJ and Davis, with Wood and Larsen (I'd like to see Robinson in there, too).

All this mental masturbation is driving me insane. Please let training camp get here!
              I like the potential of Baker, but I don't see him in the rotation at NT yet. He needs to develop his upper body strenght quite a bit more, which might take another year or two.

His athleticism would fit in really well at DE which he played in college in a 3-4.
              sigpic

Comment

I might be getting away from reality, but I would like to see this front seven:

Crowder - Williams - Davis - Ayers
                Baker - Fields - Thomas

We would have a big line with Baker at 325 and Fields and Thomas at 315. Crowder and Ayers are tall and weigh around 270 like the standard 3-4 OLBs. But when all is said and done, Dumervil will probably be the starting WOLB unless he struggles to set the edge against the run. Peterson might be one of the DEs. Maybe NT is too much for Baker right now, but DE could be a good fit. Anyway, I believe we have the personnel to run the 3-4 defense, the guys just need experience.
                sigpic

Comment

Carlton Powell played in a pretty intricate defense at VT, I don't see him not being able to pick up the 3-4.

He played nose guard in that D, which would be quite similar to what he would do here. Eat up blockers and fire the gap...right?
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                    Carlton Powell played in a pretty intricate defense at VT, I don't see him not being able to pick up the 3-4.

He played nose guard in that D, which would be quite similar to what he would do here. Eat up blockers and fire the gap...right?
                    I'm not saying he can't do it, but when you factor in that he is still essentially a rookie, having missed all of last season and TC, coming off a major injury, etc, there are questions to be answered.

I would be thrilled to see him step up and be a factor in camp.

Comment

I am a Dumervil fan too, and I hope he finds a spot on the starting 'D'
                      doom needs to be a situational guy who will be best served to rushing the passer from both formations
                      The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                      While he sits by his hearth at home.
                      Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                      That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Frankly, I don't see Larsen as a starter either, but rather as a very important role player as a backup LB, special teams demon, and backup FB.

At the end of camp, I project DJ Williams and Wesley Woodyard as the starters inside with Larsen and Lee Robinson as the backups.

I am really looking forward to seeing what Robinson can do...he has the body and the makeup to be a big-time thumper in the middle.
                        What happens to Andra Davis?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          He gets a job at the museum, I heard they're needing a mummy.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                            The reality is, Davis will probably make the team and begin the season as the other starter inside, it's just that I am hoping Lee Robinson makes an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                              I like the potential of Baker, but I don't see him in the rotation at NT yet. He needs to develop his upper body strenght quite a bit more, which might take another year or two.

His athleticism would fit in really well at DE which he played in college in a 3-4.
                              I forgot that he played DE in college. I'm excited to see how these fat-bodies stack up in camp! Just get it over with! I want to see 6 solid guys out there week-to-week, and I think with the guys we have, we have a good chance of it happening.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                                I forgot that he played DE in college. I'm excited to see how these fat-bodies stack up in camp! Just get it over with! I want to see 6 solid guys out there week-to-week, and I think with the guys we have, we have a good chance of it happening.
                                Agreed; I think our front 7 is going to surprise a lot of people this year.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X