No announcement yet.

Front Seven Depth Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodness, are you an attorney or something???

I tend to agree with your comparison of Bruton and Barrett. Essentially they are both really big safeties that can run really fast.

The deciding factor, as you said, is probably the fact that Bruton was selected (in the 3rd round?) by McDaniels and is to be paid a decent chunk of change by the Broncos. They need to make him work out.

I would like to see Barrett make it for special teams and depth. I don't know if there were issues with he and his coaches at AZ. I thought he just suffered an injury resulting in his loss of time during his senior season. One of his coaches did refer to him as the best safety he has ever seen at AZ.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      Goodness, are you an attorney or something???

I tend to agree with your comparison of Bruton and Barrett. Essentially they are both really big safeties that can run really fast.

The deciding factor, as you said, is probably the fact that Bruton was selected (in the 3rd round?) by McDaniels and is to be paid a decent chunk of change by the Broncos. They need to make him work out.

I would like to see Barrett make it for special teams and depth. I don't know if there were issues with he and his coaches at AZ. I thought he just suffered an injury resulting in his loss of time during his senior season. One of his coaches did refer to him as the best safety he has ever seen at AZ.
      Yup, MUG indeed is an attorney.

Just a note about your references to AZ. Barrett went to ASU. To use "AZ"
      might imply the University of Arizona, to which, pursuant to the bitter rivalry
      between the two schools, Barrett might take exception to . . . big time.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
        Bruton's a FS that excels in Zone, but doesn't do well on the line.
        Barrett's a SS that is lost in Zone, but moves through traffic well.

Comment

Originally posted by sage View Post
          Bruton's a FS that excels in Zone, but doesn't do well on the line.
          Barrett's a SS that is lost in Zone, but moves through traffic well.

I would argue that.

These are both pure, in-the-box, strong safeties. Barrett had a solid game against Antonio Gates last season in coverage, but then again, Gates was injured the entire year and a shell of his former self, a lot of players shut him down. I'm not sure we can take alot from that one game other than Barrett played well in his role.

Bruton is the heir-apparent to Brian Dawkins, another in-the-box safety, at this stage of his career. I'm not sure where Barrett fits in. If he was the future at Strong Safety in the eyes of McD, then why draft Bruton in the 4th? Darcel McBath is obviously the future at Free Safety, and possibly our "Big Nickel", if we institute such a scheme this season.

I think the writing is on the wall here. We signed two starting Safeties in Free Agency and then we drafted two extremely talented Safeties within the first 4 Rounds of the draft. Most teams keep 4 Safeties.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post
            Yup, MUG indeed is an attorney.

Just a note about your references to AZ. Barrett went to ASU. To use "AZ"
            might imply the University of Arizona, to which, pursuant to the bitter rivalry
            between the two schools, Barrett might take exception to . . . big time.

-----
            Whoops. I got the two mixed up. Do you have any information in regards to ASU? Or is it just Arizona that you follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
              Whoops. I got the two mixed up. Do you have any information in regards to ASU? Or is it just Arizona that you follow?
              Mainly, ASU is just somebody to hate.

I do become familiar with certain players on ASU because of the logistics (and,
              by default, I know the PAC-10 better than any other conference), but I honestly
              don't pay much attention to the school itself . . .

UA, CSU (Colorado St.), and UNC (Northern Colorado) are my teams of most
              interest.

-----

Comment

interest.

-----
                here here!! Another UA fan and Alum. GO CATS!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Free Safety & Strong Safety

I would argue that.

These are both pure, in-the-box, strong safeties. Barrett had a solid game against Antonio Gates last season in coverage, but then again, Gates was injured the entire year and a shell of his former self, a lot of players shut him down. I'm not sure we can take alot from that one game other than Barrett played well in his role.

Bruton is the heir-apparent to Brian Dawkins, another in-the-box safety, at this stage of his career. I'm not sure where Barrett fits in. If he was the future at Strong Safety in the eyes of McD, then why draft Bruton in the 4th? Darcel McBath is obviously the future at Free Safety, and possibly our "Big Nickel", if we institute such a scheme this season.

I think the writing is on the wall here. We signed two starting Safeties in Free Agency and then we drafted two extremely talented Safeties within the first 4 Rounds of the draft. Most teams keep 4 Safeties.
                  A Free Safety must be able to:
                  • -play deep centerfield/break on the ball supporting the man defender on cover 1;
                    -play deep half on cover 2;
                    -play deep 1/3 on cover 3;
                    -cover a slot receiver/trips on cover zero.

A Strong Safety must be able to:
                  • -cover a TE/H-Back/RB on cover 1 or cover zero;
                    -play short zone on cover 3;
                    -provide run support when the formation or the call dictates it.

From what I've been able to find out, David Bruton was a FS at ND. I don't know what defense they ran, but the above job description holds true for most Ds. Personally, I'm inclined to consider him as a FS until his field performance shows otherwise. It seems reasonable to expect that he could play SS as well, if need be. He is supposed to be a great ST player.

Observing Josh Barrett in '08 has convinced me that he is mainly a SS. When a safety has single coverage on a TE in cover 1, that's a SS. He did a great job on Tony Gonzalez. Barrett was tried at FS and seemed a little lost which isn't bad for a rookie. I think he had a pick while at FS. He could play FS, in a pinch, but it isn't his natural spot. Barrett plays ST well and is a big-time hitter in the box.

It is true that they both are very similar physically, but it's how well they play SS or FS that matters most. If the Broncos keep ten DBs (five CBs & five safeties), Barrett has a good chance. ST may be the deciding factor. DJ Johnson is another rookie who might be able to play FS as well as CB.

It's very early and the hitting has not yet begun. Will it ever?
                  Last edited by samparnell; 07-05-2009, 08:04 PM.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    • -play deep centerfield/break on the ball supporting the man defender on cover 1;

From what I've been able to find out, David Bruton was a FS at ND. I don't know what defense they ran, but the above job description holds true for most Ds. Personally, I'm inclined to consider him as a FS until his field performance shows otherwise. It seems reasonable to expect that he could play SS as well, if need be. He is supposed to be a great ST player.

Observing Josh Barrett in '08 has convinced me that he is mainly a SS. When a safety has single coverage on a TE in cover 1, that's a SS. He did a great job on Tony Gonzalez. Barrett was tried at FS and seemed a little lost which isn't bad for a rookie. I think he had a pick while at FS. He could play FS, in a pinch, but it isn't his natural spot. Barrett plays ST well and is a big-time hitter in the box.

It is true that they both are very similar physically, but it's how well they play SS or FS that matters most. If the Broncos keep ten DBs (five CBs & five safeties), Barrett has a good chance. ST may be the deciding factor. DJ Johnson is another rookie who might be able to play FS as well as CB.

This is one of the great things about Bruton...he is versatile in his role. He did play FS in College but has the size and strength to play SS. The knocks on him coming out are his coverage skills, especially against WRs, so most likely he will be a SS. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Bruton and Barrett both kept on the team, that is what I put in my prediction. I think they keep 5 safeties unless Barrett just can't cut it. Dawkins is only here for a short time and Barrett/Bruton might make a good SS duo for the future. DJ Johnson also has a good shot at the team as well, I picked him over Bell and Williams but if he did play safety, it would FS most likely.

My prediction is 5 safeties and only 4 CBs. Mcbath can also play CB if the need arose.
                    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post

D-Line

LDE
                      My projected starter: Marcus Thomas, 6'3"-308
                      A third year vet with a former first round prospects talent, one can only hope he can make the move and the adjustment to the outside. As a combinaton 3-technique/nose tackle in the 4-3, like San Diego's Luis Castillo, there can be a case made for him playing as a 5-technique DE in a 3-4. He has the size and the power to be stout at the point of attack, yet has the quickness to provide a pass rush. Simply put, Thomas is one of the key wildcards to helping the defense make a significant improvement this season, and has as much upside as any D-lineman candidate.

Others:
                      Ryan McBean (6'4"-292) Was the listed starter through much of the OTA's, but his inexperience is a concern.

Nic Clemons (6'6"-302) Actually, Clemons will be a player of interest for me to watch. I thought he flashed and did some good things in TC last year, which is why he made the team. Clemons has the size and versatility to compete in camp, and could suprise again.

Everette Pedescleaux (6'6"-305) An interesting undrafted free agent with some tools to work with; will probably be a practice squad candidate.

NT
                      Ronald Fields (6'2"-315) I truly believe that Fields is going to be an under-rated, suprisingly soild player for the Broncos. Mike Nolan brought him in, and I have to respect that Nolan believes he can handle the job. Not the second coming of Jamal Williams perhaps, but solid none-the-less.

Others:
                      J'Vonne Parker (6'4"-325) An experienced player in the Steelers 3-4, Parker has the size and versatility to play NT and DE, and is a big body.

Carlton Powell (6'3"-310) After losing his rookie season to injury, coming off surgery to repair a torn Achillies tendon, and playing in a new system, the odds would appear to be long against his making the roster.
                      Chris Baker (6'3"-328) Another undrafted free agent project that will probably stick on the final roster due to his potential, and limited competition. He would be a major coup for the Broncos if he can develop and become a player down the road, but he was once a Penn St. recruit.

RDE
                      Kenny Peterson (6'3"-302) Once of my favorite players on the Broncos, primarily because of the heart and determination he played with over the last season-and-a-half after being brought back to the Broncos. I think Peterson is also an under-rated player, and will do a good job for the Broncos as the starting RDE. His experience in playing DT and DE in a 4-3 will help him adjust to the 3-4.

Others:
                      Matthias Askew (6'5"-305) A former 4-3 DT signed to the Broncos practice squad after the Benglas released him, the move to a new defense, and the competiton on the roster makes him a longshot.

Rulon Davis (6'5"-281) Definitely a player to keep your eye on. Davis' supreme conditioning, and a Marine's discipline give him an edge over his competition, even if he is at an advanced age as a rookie...but that turned out OK for Mike Anderson and the Broncos once before.

Bottom Line: I say the Broncos keep six D-Linemen, with Thomas, Fields, and Peterson as locks, and McBean, Baker, Parker, Pedescleaux and Rulon Davis in hot pursuit.

Linebackers

LOLB
                      Tim Crowder (6'4"-272) One of the biggest suprises of the OTA's was the announcement that Crowder had been playing with the first team defense. Some say his athletic grades at the combine suggest he is a better fit for a 3-4 OLB, and he does have a similar build and background to other 'backers, ala Dallas' Greg Ellis over the last two years, and Baltimore's Jarrett Johnson. Both players are converted DE's.

Others:
                      Darrell Reid (6'4"-285) Interesting player coming from the 4-3 defensive system in Indy, but the Broncos made a move to get him in free agency right away, so they obviously liked him. My thought is he is probably more geared to play and contribute on special teams, but will probably be an important role player on the Broncos defense as well, as he can play LB, DE and DT.

LILB
                      Aundra Davis (6'1"-254) The free-agent signing from the Browns gives the Broncos a veteran presence to start camp in helping the transition to the new defense, but I still believe he is a longshot to make the team, as the Broncos have some very good, young ILB's.

Others:
                      Wesley Woodyard (6'1"-230) Some folks get hung up on technicalities when discussing this player...'well, he's not a true strong-side ILB...', etc. The fact is, Woodyard is now a legit 6'1"-230lb linebacker that has grown into his body, and who has always made plays when he is on the field. He plays with intensity and emotion, and to me, it is just a matter of time before he is named the starting LB inside with DJ Williams, regardless of what positions they are referred to...and before you say he is too small, I simply point to former Patriot ILB Roman Pfiefer who was 6'1"-225, and played on the Patroits first Super Bowl defense, and Sam Mills, who at 5'9"-230, was a force for years with the Saints 3-4....bottom line: a player is a player is a player, and Wesley Woodyard is a football player, period, and a very good one.

Nick Greisen (6'1"-250) Another experienced vet from a 3-4 system in Baltimore than could contend for a backup spot if he excells on special teams.

Lee Robinson (6'3"-248) A player I was very suprised to see went undrafted. I think this player from Alcorn St is going to suprise alot of folks the way Woodyard did last year, and who I believe will make a strong case to make the team.

RILB
                      D.J. Williams (6'1"-245) In a year's time, no one will be more happy with the move to a 3-4 than DJ Williams. He will have stopped his annual move to a new position, and like Pittsburgh's James Farrior, should find that it suits his skills perfectly. Williams was on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl player last year, and I would not be suprised to see him make that move now in the new defense.

Others:
                      Spencer Larsen (6'2"-242) A very good, versatile young player that should provide excellent depth at LB, as well as an enforcer on special teams. It will also be interesting to see if he continues his dual role at FB of offense.

Mario Haggan (6'3"-263) A huge, veteran body in the inside that is familiar with the 3-4 defense from his years in Buffalo, who will have to make it on special teams.

ROLB
                      Robert Ayers (6'3"-272) The Broncos appear to be set on making him the starter that the 'elephant'/'joker' standup RDE/OLB position from day one, ala Shawne Merriman and Terrell Suggs, and the defense will be counting on him for immediate impact.

Others:
                      Elvis Dumervil (5'11"-257) A player in the final year of his contract, whose role in the defense appears to be undetermined. Physically, he is built similar to Pittsburgh OLB James Harrison, but Ayers appears to be all but assured that spot on the defense. Dumervil could play a role similar to what Javon Green does in the Patriots defense as a traditional 4-3 DE when they go to four down lineman, which would mean Dumervil is a designated pass rusher. The opportunity to play elsewhere next season in moving back to a 4-3 means Dumervil is probably playing out his last season as a Bronco.

Jarvis Moss (6'6"-255) Like Crowder, Moss is probably looking at his last opportunity to become a solid player in Denver. His athleticism and qability to play in space will determine if he can carve out a future in this defense.

Bottom Line: I look for Ayers, DJ Williams and Woodyard to be three of the four starting LB's this season, with the other remaining position to be determined, as I am not conceding it to Crowder at this point.

OK, debate time...
                      Marcus Thomas has been playing behind Ronald Fields at Nose Tackle...so eliminate him from consideration for a defensive end spot. He's in a battle with Fields to be the Nose Tackle.

WDE- Kenny Peterson
                      NT- Ronald Fields/Marcus Thomas
                      SDE- Ryan McBean/Rulon Davis/Matthias Askew

WOLB- Elvis Dumervil
                      WILB- DJ Williams
                      SILB- Andra Davis
                      SOLB- Robert Ayers

That's what I expect to be our starting front seven, and the only position I'm iffy about is with SDE because reports about McBean are that he was rag-dolled and man-handled when he was playing in Pittsburgh.

Also, with your backups I disagree because the "Jack" linebacker (WILB) is the one that gets to fly around and make plays, which makes it almost a lock that Wesley Woodyard will be the 2nd string "Jack" and Spencer Larsen/Nick Greisen are more of the "attacking" linebackers with Andra Davis, so they will fight for the spots behind Davis IMO.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Very good post and reasoning. :salute!:

I agree that we will have to see how things shake out in camp before we can be absolutely definitive with our statements, but I remain very confident both of these players are purely Strong Safeties in the NFL.

I don't recall Barrett doing so well against Tony Gonzalez, I'm pretty sure it was Gates he shut down, but maybe I'm mistaken... Regardless, he did perform well against one of the better TEs in the NFL and that is encouraging.

In the end though, we are all agreeing on the same concept. We *must* keep 5 Safeties (10 DBs) for Barrett to even have a chance of sticking on our roster. And even if we do decide to keep 10 DBs, Domonique Johnson might beat him out based on versatility and potential.

The OP, Mindfield, is strongly Pro-Barrett, and I'm not commenting on that at all, because I'm sort of indifferent with him, though I find his size/speed very intriguing. However, my main debate on the topic of Barrett is whether he has a roster spot waiting for him in what appears to be a numbers game with odds that do not favor him.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                          Marcus Thomas has been playing behind Ronald Fields at Nose Tackle...so eliminate him from consideration for a defensive end spot. He's in a battle with Fields to be the Nose Tackle.

WDE- Kenny Peterson
                          NT- Ronald Fields/Marcus Thomas
                          SDE- Ryan McBean/Rulon Davis/Matthias Askew

WOLB- Elvis Dumervil
                          WILB- DJ Williams
                          SILB- Andra Davis
                          SOLB- Robert Ayers

That's what I expect to be our starting front seven, and the only position I'm iffy about is with SDE because reports about McBean are that he was rag-dolled and man-handled when he was playing in Pittsburgh.

Also, with your backups I disagree because the "Jack" linebacker (WILB) is the one that gets to fly around and make plays, which makes it almost a lock that Wesley Woodyard will be the 2nd string "Jack" and Spencer Larsen/Nick Greisen are more of the "attacking" linebackers with Andra Davis, so they will fight for the spots behind Davis IMO.

I agree with most of everything you stated here. The one thing I would point out though is that in San Francisco, Isaac Sopoaga was the backup NT, Ronald Fields was the 3rd String NT. However, Nolan started Sopoaga at LDE, so the depth chart showed Fields as the #2 NT and Sopoaga as the #1 LDE.

I think this might be what happens with Marcus Thomas. He is our #2 NT in reality, but he might start at LDE, similar to Sopoaga and Haloti Ngata in Baltimore, and now probably BJ Raji in Green Bay. This would likely make Carlton Powell our #3 NT, though he'd be listed on the depth chart as the #2 because Thomas is starting at LDE. Pretty much the same thing Fields experienced last season.

I really anticipate one of two scenarios with our D-line.

The first is that we keep 5 D-linemen, which is not unheard of in a 3-4, because we have three huge hybrid guys that can play on the line in certain formation in Ayers, Reid, and Crowder, which would allow us to forego the 6th D-linemen that usually does not dress on game days. In this case, our 5 D-linemen would likely be Peterson, Fields, Powell, Thomas, and Baker.

The second is the traditional 6 D-linemen approach, which would be the 5 guys listed above plus one, McBean probably would be my guess to shore up the RDE slot with Peterson. Baker would likely be the guy that doesn't dress on game days.

I'm kind of leaning towards the first option. We might as well take advantage of our versatility with our big OLBs.

Comment

Very good post

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/4...t-david-bruton
                            "He likely profiles best as a center field free safety, though he is likely be suited for a back-up role initially."

Originally posted by samparnel View Post
                            http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/...h_barrett.html
                            "His size and aggressivness allow him to make his presence felt over the middle of the football field. ... Barrett is a very good strong safety prospect."

Originally posted by samparnel View Post

Comment

interest.

-----
                              Watch it now, my son may be playing baseball at ASU in the next few years...

Comment

Who makes the cut?

My problem with Barrett is that we drafted David Bruton whom is the exact same player in every conceivable way minus the knee injuries. And Bruton is a McDaniels draft pick, he has no loyalty to Barrett, whom was accused by his coaches at Arizona of being lazy and a malcontent his Senior year. I think Barrett is in the mix, but I see little purpose in drafting David Bruton if we were high on Barrett. That's my problem. They are the same player, with the same strengths, that play the same position. McD drafted Bruton in the 4th. Based on *that*, I'm not sure Barrett makes the roster. I do think he's on the bubble though, competing with a few others for that final roster spot. His main competition might be Domonique Johnson, whom as mentioned earlier, could be a 5th CB and a 5th Safety, while helping on special teams. Johnson combined with Bruton makes more sense to me due to his versatility, than Barrett. So, I think he's far from a sure thing, and squarely on the bubble. He has to show he's far superior to David Bruton to warrant foregoing all these other options.
                                It is possible that too much is made of who was or wasn't drafted by McDaniels in terms of who does or doesn't make the team. These decisions tend to percolate upwards from the position coaches to the HC through the coordinators. It's Nolan's D, not McDaniels'. When Ed Donatell and Jay Rodgers are in meetings or on the practice field with the DBs, I doubt if who was drafted by whom will be anywhere in their consciousness.

Josh Barrett's redshirt senior year at ASU was the first year of the Dennis Erickson regime. Barrett's position coach and D-coordinator were new, new terminology, expectations and coaching "style". His benching was supposed to be a result of injuries; pectoral strain, quad contusion and knee sprain-sounds like a big hitter to me. That's way in the past now.

Coming to the Broncos, Barrett was characterized by some as "looks like Tarzan-plays like Jane". He got to play in '08 and did OK ... for a rookie. Only two safeties from '08 have been retained, Barrett and Fox. He finds himself in the same boat as all the other players retained from Shanahan's team-new coaches, system, competition and a lot of pressure. He was one of the players who worked out at Redrocks theater recently. Working out with tough mountain men like Jeb Putzier is a good sign.

Both Josh Barrett and David Bruton are brainy young men. The Broncos are lucky to have them competing for the team.
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X