Article on Brett Kern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on Brett Kern

I had no idea he was from up here! Go Brett Kern! Go Western NY!

FOOTBALL: Kern makes pit stop back home
    By Nate Beutel
    Niagara Gazette

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/prosp...185221540.html

Brett Kern and his wife, Tiffany, have fallen for Denver. But once in a while, a little taste of home never hurts for the Grand Island native.

“I love hanging out with family and friends when I come back, but it’s that food that you’ve had all your life that you get cravings for,” the Denver Broncos second-year punter said with a chuckle recently. “I miss the local food — chicken finger subs, wings, beef on weck… you’ve got to load up when you come back.”

On a recent trip back to Western New York, Kern also found time to get some golf in with his father, Niagara Power general manager Cal Kern. The duo played one of Western New York’s finest public courses, Ivy Ridge in Akron, with the younger Kern firing an even-par 72.

“I’m pretty sure my dad would rather not have me tell you what he shot,” Brett said.

Cal was proud to have Brett make a guest appearance at a recent Power game, though. He signed autographs for fans, along with former Major League pitcher Joe Hesketh.

As of this week, though, Kern returned to Denver where he will continue individual training sessions in preparation for the beginning of training camp later this month. Kern, who was second in the AFC with a 46.7 yards-per-punt average last season, will be battling for his position with undrafted rookie Britton Colquitt of Tennessee.

“Competition is expected in the preseason,” Kern said. “It’s a matter of going out there and performing your best every day. With a year under my belt, I’m much more confident in my abilities and approach to the game.”

Kern added that new coach Josh McDaniels has sparked the team with his intelligence and leadership during organized team activities this spring.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Second in the AFC with a 46.7 average for a rookie is great. Why is his postion up for grabs with a guy who has alot of DUIs. Prater should be the one fighting for his place on the team not Kern.

Comment

Originally posted by 15thebeast View Post
      Second in the AFC with a 46.7 average for a rookie is great. Why is his postion up for grabs with a guy who has alot of DUIs. Prater should be the one fighting for his place on the team not Kern.
      i second this i mean if your the 2nd best punter in the AFC in your rookie year then why try and replace him with a UDFA who has had a history of problems??? unless there gunna try and change kern into a place kicker and replace prater lol
      sigpic

2011 Adopt-A-Bronco Quinton Carter

Comment

Kern was a good addition last season. I don't see him losing his job any time soon. Hopefully he will only get better. I see him being here for a long time.

Comment

He was good at Invesco, but if you took away the punts he had at home and only used his road average he was the 20th best punter in the NFL.
          sigpic

Comment

To me, Sam Paulescu is better. And Britton Colquitt also has a great leg, so Kern needs to watch out.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
              To me, Sam Paulescu is better. And Britton Colquitt also has a great leg, so Kern needs to watch out.
              Paulescu was good but from the punts i saw him do he never could get good hang time with he punts. Colquitt is better off trying for kicker him and Kern could give us a very good kicking game.

Comment

Paulescu is a very inaccurate punter. I don't know much about Colquitt.

Comment

Last preseason Paulescu nailed some great coffin corner punts and had better yardage. But Prater thought Kern was the best holder so we cut Paulescu.
                  sigpic

Comment

Colquitt is apparently a pretty talented punter, and what's the harm in some competition? I think McDaniels is really doing things the right way by showing that nobody's job is safe and that the best players will be on the field for us this fall, period. I don't see the harm in this competition; Kern isn't an established NFL player, so he should expect this (and seems to have just the right attitude about it), and if Colquitt happens to beat him for the spot then we can be confident in knowing that we replaced a pretty decent player with an even better one.

But I agree that the placekicker spot should be up for grabs too. I was more impressed with Kern last year than I was with Prater.

Comment

Last preseason Paulescu nailed some great coffin corner punts and had better yardage. But Prater thought Kern was the best holder so we cut Paulescu.
                      Isn't he the one that punted for us the season before though? Maybe I have him mixed up. If he is, there is a reason that guy lost the job. He punted off the side of his foot a lot for one. He also didn't have the best hang time and over kicked his coverage a lot.

That was all a couple of years ago though, so that isn't saying he still has those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                        Isn't he the one that punted for us the season before though? Maybe I have him mixed up. If he is, there is a reason that guy lost the job. He punted off the side of his foot a lot for one. He also didn't have the best hang time and over kicked his coverage a lot.

That was all a couple of years ago though, so that isn't saying he still has those problems.
                        Aren't you talking about Paul Ernster?
                        sigpic

Comment

Aren't you talking about Paul Ernster?
                          Maybe. To many guys come through and I get some of them mixed up.

Comment

Kern Vs Colquitt

McD has said he wants to use Prater less to spare his leg and take some pressure off of him.

Colquitt can handle punts AND kickoffs. Kern only punts.

Kern (sadly) may lose his job because Colquitt is more versatile.

Does anyone know anything about how Colquitt is doing with his alcoholism?
                            sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                            X