Champ Bailey Interview ESPN 1000 Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Bailey Interview ESPN 1000 Chicago

This is from ESPN 1000 AM a sports talk radio station in Chicago. Part of it I copy and pasted from Jeff ****erson's blog: here. I went through and corrected some things and added the missing questions though.

You can hear the entire audio from the interview here: Just go to Waddle & Silvy: 7/6

Here's a transcript.

(Champ Bailey highlight clip is played)

W&S: The Champ is with us. KOA radio in Denver the highlight Champ Bailey. Recently named to the All-Decade team on ESPN.com. We talked about that last week. When we came to Champ Bailey's name, we debated one name and the other, we said "ya of course All-Decade team."

Uh, lets welcome him in. Champ Bailey from the Denver Bronco's joins us right now on ESPN 1000.

Champ how ya feeling?

Bailey: I feel pretty good. Just enjoying my time before we get started.

W&S: You know it's not a big award ceremony, and I'm sure ESPN.com didn't give you a big trophy for it. But was it an honor for you to hear that you made the All-Decade team?

Bailey: Ya definitely it shows the consistency of my career, and what I've been able to do over the course of a decade. You know I just look back at all the other teams from the 80's and 90's, and there's a lot of Hall of Famers on those teams. Just to be mentioned in those sentences with those guys is great for me.

W&S: Ya it was a great honor absolutely. How's the offseason been for you Champ? This has been kind of weird. You're 10 years deep into this league. I'm not sure if I've seen an organization have more things go haywire in an offseason. From Mike Shanahan being fired, to Jay Cutler being traded to the Bears, now Brandon Marshall is a bit upset. How do you sum up what's been going on in Broncos-land?

Champ Bailey: I'll tell you what, starting with [former Broncos coach Mike] Shanahan, when you talk about changing the course of the organization, it really got thrown off right there. When he left, then [quarterback Jay] Cutler leaves, now [wide receiver] Brandon Marshall's talking about leaving. I mean, these are three guys that have done great things for this organization. I'll tell you what, once we get all of this behind us and the season gets started we'll be able to focus on what we need to focus on and that's winning a championship. We've got a good coach and a good thing going right now, and we just need to make sure we prove it on the field.

W&S: I want to ask you about your coach. You mentioned you have a good coach. You don't know him well. Did you question though some of the tactics of Josh McDaniels, and what he did being so new as a head coach?

Bailey: Well, you just have got to take it as it comes. You never know the whole story about what's happening. Being in a one-on-one conversation with him, I understand where he's coming from and I can't do but one thing and that's worry about the Denver Broncos, my head coach and myself. I can't worry about everybody else that's not here and wants to leave. I can't worry about that. I just got to worry about what we've got to do to get ourselves into position to win, and that's all I care about right now

W&S: You saw Jay Cutler, Champ, everyday in practice. What are Bears fans getting with this guy? Where do you rank him among the great quarterbacks in this league?

Bailey: Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability. The guy's very smart, very sharp, great arm; he has all the stuff you'd want. He reminds me of a [Dan] Marino-, [John] Elway-type of guy, and he's going to be a great winner for them. It's unfortunate for us that we had to lose a guy like that, but we've got to move on. We've got some quality guys back there that can definitely get the job done so we've just got to go out and handle business as necessary.

W&S: A lot of people took swipes at Cutler after he left. "Well he threw too many interceptions. He's not the good leader." Back when he was playing with you guys. Did you ever question him as a leader?

Bailey: No, not at all. That's one thing about him: He's not a shouter, but when he gets upset and he knows that we've got to get going he definitely opens his mouth. I appreciate that from him. Cause I'd rather have a guy that leads by example than a guy that talks all the time.

W&S: So when you first heard the news. Was it a shock to you that Jay Cutler would no longer be your quarterback?

Bailey: Well, the possibility was a shock, but once it sunk in a little bit, that's just the nature of the NFL: You never know. You see guys leaving here and there. Look at Jason Taylor, he left, a No. 5 all-decade guy, you never saw him leaving Miami, but you know it just happens.

W&S: I covered Kyle Orton, Champ, everyday during his career here in Chicago, and Number 1 I thought he was a very good player. Number 2 it was amazing the way he kind of had that locker room. They voted him captain before last season. What's the impact been with Orton for you guys, and has he earned your respect yet as a player?

Bailey: Well, he's going to earn that over time, what he's done, I respect what he's done, but you know, as you go to a new team, you've got to earn their respect over time. I think people knowing that he's the quarterback and he has a winning record as a starter, that'll get that instant respect a little, but as you play and as you lead us, that's how you earn your respect.

W&S: You know you said to us with Cutler that you weren't surprised. Because of the road it started going down. I think we're watching the Brandon Marshall story go down the same road. Would you be surprised if he's not with you guys come training camp?

Bailey: I mean nothing surprises me at this point; it wouldn't be a surprise. I talked to him and I told him I don't want him to leave, but Brandon's got to do what he thinks is best for him. It's his career; I never tell a guy how to run his own career because when you look back, that's your legacy -- you make all the decisions. I'd love to have him on my team, but I wish him the best with whatever he does.

W&S: What's your best guess Champ? Do you think he will be with you guys?

Bailey: With my fingers crossed, yes, I definitely hope so.

W&S: So you still think he's mature enough to be productive, come back and mend fences with the Broncos?

Bailey: He can do it, there's no doubt about that. He's under contract: If they don't trade, they don't trade him. He has to come back. So it's not really in his hands completely. You can talk all you want, but when you're under contract you don't really have control.

W&S: Tough news over the weekend, as I'm sure you heard Champ, about Steve McNair. Did you have anything relationship with him, and what did you think when you first heard the news?

Bailey: Well he helped get me some of my 43 picks in my career, that's all I know. But from what I've heard, and through the media and through other guys around the league. He's a great guy, a great guy to compete against. Very tough. That's one thing that always stuck out about him. He fought through a lot of injuries. It's unfortunate that we lose a guy like that to this NFL family.

W&S: Your brother just had a knee injury, but you still get together with Boss Bailey and you guys have a camp coming up July 10th thru the 11th. Tell us about it Champ.

Bailey: Oh man, I'll tell you what. We were so successful with it last year getting guys out. A lot of kids came out. Had a couple former players we played with in college, and NFL players come out and helped us run the camp. We had Beauford High School there, one of our big rivals from my high school back in Georgia, they helped us run the camp with all the drills and stuff. The kids had a great time, it was a great success. We figured we'd try it again this year, and hopefully get more kids then we did last year. Because it was such a success.

W&S: Give us a little lesson here. If one of us want to be a cornerback. If we want to learn how to cover a guy. What's the proper technique? How do you get going to be an All-Decade guy like you?

Bailey: Well I'll tell you what there's several ways to be successful at corner. I mean whether you're a tall guy, short guy It's all about the feet. If you got great feet, and you can make yourself have great feet. Just train yourself to use your feet more then your hands. Then you'll be great.

W&S: When you see Devin Hester lining up against you do you see a No. 1 receiver?

Bailey: Uh, I see No.1 potential. I mean that's what I've seen. I haven't played against him and watched him enough to know what he's done over the course of last season. But I'll see him in preseason this year and I'll play extensively through that game. So I'll get to see him a lot, and I'll give you my evaluation after that one.

W&S: Alright you promised, and what will the reception be like for Jay Cutler that game?

Bailey: I don't know. I think it's gonna be mixed. I know part of him probably wanted to stay and finish his career here, but you've got to move on if you can't get along with the head coach. Then you've got to move on. So we'll see what happens, but it'll probably be a little mixed.

even champ said he was an alright guy

Comment

Seemed like a good interview. Just can't wait for training camp so we can get more interviews regarding the development and progress of the team. All the same topics getting beatin to death with the same questions just different people.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
        [quarterback Jay] Cutler leaves, now [wide receiver] Brandon Marshall's talking about leaving. I mean, these are three guys that have done great things for this organization.

W&S: You saw Jay Cutler, Champ, everyday in practice. What are Bears fans getting with this guy? Where do you rank him among the great quarterbacks in this league?

Bailey: Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability. The guy's very smart, very sharp, great arm; he has all the stuff you'd want.

W&S:Did you ever question him as a leader?

Bailey: No, not at all. That's one thing about him: He's not a shouter, but when he gets upset and he knows that we've got to get going he definitely opens his mouth. I appreciate that from him. Cause I'd rather have a guy that leads by example than a guy that talks all the time.

W&S: So when you first heard the news. Was it a shock to you that Jay Cutler would no longer be your quarterback?

Bailey: Well, the possibility was a shock, but once it sunk in a little bit, that's just the nature of the NFL: You never know. You see guys leaving here and there. Look at Jason Taylor, he left, a No. 5 all-decade guy, you never saw him leaving Miami, but you know it just happens.

W&S: I covered Kyle Orton, Champ, everyday during his career here in Chicago, and Number 1 I thought he was a very good player. Number 2 it was amazing the way he kind of had that locker room. They voted him captain before last season. What's the impact been with Orton for you guys, and has he earned your respect yet as a player?

Bailey: Well, he's going to earn that over time, what he's done, I respect what he's done, but you know, as you go to a new team, you've got to earn their respect over time. I think people knowing that he's the quarterback and he has a winning record as a starter, that'll get that instant respect a little, but as you play and as you lead us, that's how you earn your respect.

W&S: You know you said to us with Cutler that you weren't surprised. Because of the road it started going down. I think we're watching the Brandon Marshall story go down the same road. Would you be surprised if he's not with you guys come training camp?

Bailey: I mean nothing surprises me at this point; it wouldn't be a surprise. I talked to him and I told him I don't want him to leave, but Brandon's got to do what he thinks is best for him. It's his career; I never tell a guy how to run his own career because when you look back, that's your legacy -- you make all the decisions. I'd love to have him on my team, but I wish him the best with whatever he does.
        Take note ....

:logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

What are the hosts Bears fans?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdubv724 View Post
            It was ESPN Chicago.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdubv724 View Post
              Not sure, but with the radio station having a Chicago listening base. Questions will be geared towards that market. What did you hate the most?

Comment

thats a good interview atleast you can say the guys honest. "cutlers done good things here, but hes gone we have to move on" that is what needs to be said to alot of broncos fans me thinks
                sigpic

2011 Adopt-A-Bronco Quinton Carter

Comment

Wow, that interview with Champ is completely contrary to what people say around here. Wonder why....

Comment

Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
                    Not sure, but with the radio station having a Chicago listening base. Questions will be geared towards that market. What did you hate the most?
                    If it is a Chicago station I understand now. It just seemed like the hosts were Bears fans.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jester06 View Post
                      Wow, that interview with Champ is completely contrary to what people say around here. Wonder why....
                      Because Champ can't say any of the stuff we say here because he would get a lot of flack because of it?

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                        Because Champ can't say any of the stuff we say here because he would get a lot of flack because of it?
                        Aaaahhh ok. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                          Ya Champ is a good guy. If he wanted to just be diplomatic he could have stated Jay is decent and should help the bears. You know, something positive but real plain. Champ didnt do that though. He said,
                          Bailey: Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability. The guy's very smart, very sharp, great arm; he has all the stuff you'd want. He reminds me of a [Dan] Marino-, [John] Elway-type of guy, and he's going to be a great winner for them. It's unfortunate for us that we had to lose a guy like that."

Of course all the JC haters will just say Champs just a NFL CB he doesnt know what hes talking about.

Ya its time to move on and work with what we got, but that question will always haunt me as a Broncos fan. WHY.
                          Last edited by it'sjustagame; 07-07-2009, 03:50 AM.
                          My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

I'm sure Champ is a good judge of talent and character. For him to compare Cutler to Marino or Elway just shows that guys liked him and that he was a leader. That should squash any JC's haters arguments that he wasn't respected in the locker room. I find it interesting that he never really said Orton has his respect. That he has to earn it with them. I wonder if that applies with his thinking of the Head Coach. I wonder if McD has the respect of the older guys or if he has to earn it just like Orton does?
                            I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                            I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                            I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                            "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                            God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                            Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
                              I'm sure Champ is a good judge of talent and character. For him to compare Cutler to Marino or Elway just shows that guys liked him and that he was a leader. That should squash any JC's haters arguments that he wasn't respected in the locker room. I find it interesting that he never really said Orton has his respect. That he has to earn it with them. I wonder if that applies with his thinking of the Head Coach. I wonder if McD has the respect of the older guys or if he has to earn it just like Orton does?
                              He seemed to think KO was a good guy. But I would suspect him of being forced to mouth an official team line if he'd said anything else. Champ has only seen Kyle in OTAs so far. It would be very suspect if Bailey tried to give the same amount of respect to Orton now as he has for Cutler (whom he's played with over an extended amount of time).

But KO has fought for and truly earned his team-mates respect before. I'm sure that by the time the preseason games have been played that Champ and the rest of the Broncos will have a fairly high opinion of Kyle...

:orton:
                              Don't hate on the 8!
                              "That's a crap question."
                              - Kyle Orton

Comment

Working...
                              X