Champ Bailey Interview ESPN 1000 Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
    I'm sure Champ is a good judge of talent and character. For him to compare Cutler to Marino or Elway just shows that guys liked him and that he was a leader. That should squash any JC's haters arguments that he wasn't respected in the locker room.
    Cutler has the potential to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

But I have heard that Tony Scheffler and a few people on the offensive line were the only players on the team that actually liked Cutler, and the rest of the team is "ecstatic" that he is gone.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neckbeard View Post
      He seemed to think KO was a good guy. But I would suspect him of being forced to mouth an official team line if he'd said anything else. Champ has only seen Kyle in OTAs so far. It would be very suspect if Bailey tried to give the same amount of respect to Orton now as he has for Cutler (whom he's played with over an extended amount of time).

But KO has fought for and truly earned his team-mates respect before. I'm sure that by the time the preseason games have been played that Champ and the rest of the Broncos will have a fairly high opinion of Kyle...

:orton:
      Don't hate on the 8!
      I'm not saying Orton won't earn his respect, I hope he does. What I'm interested in was the fact that he compared the traitorous Cutler to Elway and Marino. And the fact the new teammates had to earn his respect. So I would argue that McD is in the same boat. He has to earn his respect. And I would assume that the moves he's made so far (trading a Elway or Marino type), hasn't warranted respect yet.
      I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
      I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
      I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
      "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
      God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
      Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Let's not get crazy with the Elway\Marino comparisons.

Champ said Cutler has that kind of potential. He didn't say he's as good as those two; he used the word potential.

He said for where he is now he is a top ten talent. That's the same thing I've said. He's a top ten QB, not a top 3; not yet.....
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by jdubv724 View Post
          Cutler has the potential to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

But I have heard that Tony Scheffler and a few people on the offensive line were the only players on the team that actually liked Cutler, and the rest of the team is "ecstatic" that he is gone.
          I would like to see a link about the ecstasy
          "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1

Comment

I would like to see a link about the ecstasy
            I heard it from a person who went to a cookout and talked to one of the players on the team. So there is no link and it is just hearsay.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              Champ said Cutler has that kind of potential. He didn't say he's as good as those two; he used the word potential.

He said for where he is now he is a top ten talent. That's the same thing I've said. He's a top ten QB, not a top 3; not yet.....
              Pretty sure Elway wasn't was he is today after three years in the league. He was potentially a great talent too. Champ is saying guys with that type of talent don't come around often

Comment

I heard it from a person who went to a cookout and talked to one of the players on the team. So there is no link and it is just hearsay.
                I want to go to a cookout, only if they are grilling waffles!!! Thanks McSmashie :clady:

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
                  even champ said he was an alright guy
                  Well, in all honesty, what's he supposed to say? It's like coach speak. I've never seen a coach say "Yeah, he's a terrible player. He sucks something awful. We're going to cut him the first chance we get". No. It's always more "He's struggling a little bit, but he's a good player. I'm sure he'll be able to turn things around". Then they cut that player.

What would it benefit Champ or anyone to talk bad about the guy?
                  Last edited by Crazy8; 07-07-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure Elway wasn't was he is today after three years in the league. He was potentially a great talent too. Champ is saying guys with that type of talent don't come around often
                    I understand that, and I agree. My point is that people hear something like that, then jump all over it assuming Champ thinks Cutler is as good as Elway. I was just trying to clarify what he said.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

OMGZ when was Cutler traded?!?! Is this a joke??

Comment

Oh it must be true.... I know cutler is a good guy cuz I talk to him every time he is on facebook

it still bothers the hell out of me that a lot of people have their head under the sand about cutler an refuse to take note that he is a hell of a player and teammate

Comment

Oh it must be true.... I know cutler is a good guy cuz I talk to him every time he is on facebook

it still bothers the hell out of me that a lot of people have their head under the sand about cutler an refuse to take note that he is a hell of a player and teammate

Yeah throwing your defense under the bus 3 or 4 times throughout the course of last season is being a good teammate...

Comment

I never claimed it was 100% true. I don't think the guy I heard it from would make something like that up though.

I was one of the bigger Cutler supporters on this message board. I have said time and again since he has been traded that Cutler can be a damn good QB. Heck, I even said in this thread that Cutler can be one of the best QB's to ever play the game.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by d-bronx42 View Post
                              Yeah throwing your defense under the bus 3 or 4 times throughout the course of last season is being a good teammate...
                              hell ya that's a good teammate a guy that will get in your face or going to the media and say, you suck pick it up.... i would rather have that then a kiss ass that beats around the bush that does not have the junk to man up to other players

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                                Well, in all honesty, what's he supposed to say? It's like coach speak. I've never seen a coach say "Yeah, he's a terrible player. He sucks something awful. We're going to cut him the first chance we get". No. It's always more "He's struggling a little bit, but he's a good player. I'm sure he'll be able to turn things around". Then they cut that player.

What would it benefit Champ or anyone to talk bad about the guy?
                                Geez crazy8...there's a world of difference between platitudes and the kind of praise Champ used for Cutler. Platitudes are what he used for the new coach and QB - good coach, good QB, winning record as starter etc. Comparisons to Elway and Marino don't usually get thrown around in platitudes.

This interview from Champ (classy as always) confirms what I was thinking about the team morale. Cutler was popular in the locker room and his teammates don't like the fact that he is not here. But they are professionals and will work hard for the new coach regardless of who is or isn't on the team with them. I think we got good value in exchange for Cutler (though I'm not too thrilled with using next year's first-rounder on a CB, even one as promising as Alphonso Smith) and with an easy start to the season and a schedule packed with over-hyped teams, we should be able to win enough to build some early momentum (which will help everyone forget the offseason) and dominate our weakening division.

As for Cutler, I'll say it again - he is gone and we aren't really gaining anything by bad-mouthing him in retrospect, when everyone knows he'd still be highly-rated by us if he had remained a Bronco. Cutler is significant to the Broncos in only two ways - one, as a first strike against the judgement and management-skills of the new coach who was already stepping into some pretty big shoes, and two as the QB of the team whose first-round pick we own next year.
                                Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X