Champ Bailey Interview ESPN 1000 Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
    hell ya that's a good teammate a guy that will get in your face or going to the media and say, you suck pick it up.... i would rather have that then a kiss ass that beats around the bush that does not have the junk to man up to other players
    You mean like when he had the "junk" to "man up" run away to Nashville leaving his teammates to deal with the fall-out of a story involving him?

Like I've said many, many times, if he would've shown up, and said that he had spoken with McDaniels, whether he had or not, and that he is the guy for as long as the Broncos organization would have him, then that would've buried everything, killed any story, and he'd still be a Bronco.

But, instead, he stays in Nasville, doesn't "man up" and return Mr. Bowlens calls, gets traded, and then whines about how he didn't want this. And to top it all off, he sends his dad to return his playbook. :doh:

That's a slightly different picture than the one you just painted above, isn't it? I'm actually embarrassed for him that things took place like that. Instead of manning up and facing things head on, he beat around the bush and got traded.

Comment

Originally posted by AC1 View Post
      Geez crazy8...there's a world of difference between platitudes and the kind of praise Champ used for Cutler. Platitudes are what he used for the new coach and QB - good coach, good QB, winning record as starter etc. Comparisons to Elway and Marino don't usually get thrown around in platitudes.

This interview from Champ (classy as always) confirms what I was thinking about the team morale. Cutler was popular in the locker room and his teammates don't like the fact that he is not here. But they are professionals and will work hard for the new coach regardless of who is or isn't on the team with them. I think we got good value in exchange for Cutler (though I'm not too thrilled with using next year's first-rounder on a CB, even one as promising as Alphonso Smith) and with an easy start to the season and a schedule packed with over-hyped teams, we should be able to win enough to build some early momentum (which will help everyone forget the offseason) and dominate our weakening division.

As for Cutler, I'll say it again - he is gone and we aren't really gaining anything by bad-mouthing him in retrospect, when everyone knows he'd still be highly-rated by us if he had remained a Bronco. Cutler is significant to the Broncos in only two ways - one, as a first strike against the judgement and management-skills of the new coach who was already stepping into some pretty big shoes, and two as the QB of the team whose first-round pick we own next year.
      So, the team morale is awful. Jay Cutler is the next Moreno/Elway combined, and Devin Hester is a potential number 1 receiver? Kyle Orton hasn't earned any respect.

That's basically what you took from that interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
        So, the team morale is awful. Jay Cutler is the next Moreno/Elway combined, and Devin Hester is a potential number 1 receiver? Kyle Orton hasn't earned any respect.

That's basically what you took from that interview?
        If that's what you comprehended from my post, this isn't worth any more time.
        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

C'mon Champ...

W&S: Tough news over the weekend, as I'm sure you heard Champ, about Steve McNair. Did you have anything relationship with him, and what did you think when you first heard the news?

Bailey: Well he helped get me some of my 43 picks in my career, that's all I know.

Was that a little bit of a dig there Champ? That didnt sound really encouraging to me. What about you guys?
          http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JHoward View Post
            W&S: Tough news over the weekend, as I'm sure you heard Champ, about Steve McNair. Did you have anything relationship with him, and what did you think when you first heard the news?

Bailey: Well he helped get me some of my 43 picks in my career, that's all I know.

Was that a little bit of a dig there Champ? That didnt sound really encouraging to me. What about you guys?
            I thought that was a bit odd too. The following lines suggest it really wasn't a dig but just a somewhat awkward statement.
            Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

If you listen to the audio. One of the host kind of gives a fake chuckle after it. I'm not sure why he said it, but it came off kind of awkward. I don't think it was a dig at McNair though.

Comment

I kind of thought the same thing when I first read it. Atleast he didn't end his answer as that. Think that was the first thing I have ever read that wouldn't really seem like it would come out of Champs mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
                  Bailey: Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability. The guy's very smart, very sharp, great arm; he has all the stuff you'd want. He reminds me of a [Dan] Marino-, [John] Elway-type of guy, and he's going to be a great winner for them. It's unfortunate for us that we had to lose a guy like that, but we've got to move on. We've got some quality guys back there that can definitely get the job done so we've just got to go out and handle business as necessary.

Bailey: No, not at all. That's one thing about him: He's not a shouter, but when he gets upset and he knows that we've got to get going he definitely opens his mouth. I appreciate that from him. Cause I'd rather have a guy that leads by example than a guy that talks all the time..
                  Wow- Baily sounds like he makes the exact same arguments as me. When I say them, my fanhood is questioned and I am told chicago is that way->

Lets see if the 'Cutler haters' have the conviction of their beliefs to criticize champ the same way.
                  sigpic

Comment

Sure Cutler may be one of the best quarterbacks, let's say he has a career as good as Marino, would y'all be happy with the most passing yards in league history without a championship?

So let's leave the comparisons with Marino and not Elway!
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by conannilsen View Post
                      Sure Cutler may be one of the best quarterbacks, let's say he has a career as good as Marino, would y'all be happy with the most passing yards in league history without a championship?

So let's leave the comparisons with Marino and not Elway!
                      Wow champ is saying a third year QB has the potential to be a Marino/Elway-esque. Say that to yourself real slow A Third Year QB. We had to have our new HC get in a Peeing contest with a 3rd year QB will all the potential in the world. Our new HC was genius enought to try to smooth over the situation by repeatedly refering to a third year QB, with potential to be one of the greatest ever, as " The Player" . The only way JMD get's any respect from me is when we win a SB anything less is unacceptable. That probably wont be enough for me to respect him because if we win one i will always wonder how many more we could have won with him coaching up such potential rather than running him out of town
                      My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by it'sjustagame View Post
                        Wow champ is saying a third year QB has the potential to be a Marino/Elway-esque. Say that to yourself real slow A Third Year QB. We had to have our new HC get in a Peeing contest with a 3rd year QB will all the potential in the world. Our new HC was genius enought to try to smooth over the situation by repeatedly refering to a third year QB, with potential to be one of the greatest ever, as " The Player" . The only way JMD get's any respect from me is when we win a SB anything less is unacceptable. That probably wont be enough for me to respect him because if we win one i will always wonder how many more we could have won with him coaching up such potential rather than running him out of town
                        Its Just A Game!! You know? Think a cutler support group needs to be created, this type of baggage can really hurt you in the long run.

Comment

One thing I got from the interview was that Cutler has Champs respect. There is no doubt that Champ is a fan of jay cutler.

But when he talked about Mcd or orton he used generalities and football speak. He didnt praise either the way he praised Cutler.

Champ is too classy to come out and say he is not happy....but that interview was very telling.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pura Vida View Post
                            One thing I got from the interview was that Cutler has Champs respect. There is no doubt that Champ is a fan of jay cutler.

But when he talked about Mcd or orton he used generalities and football speak. He didnt praise either the way he praised Cutler.

Champ is too classy to come out and say he is not happy....but that interview was very telling.
                            Yeah, I got that too. To be honest, that worried me more than a bit.

I don't know that it tells the story of the team overall. I think that would be too big of a jump in logic. But it does indicate that maybe Champ isn't buying into what our team is doing. That's not good when you're relying on him to be a leader on this football team.

I think maybe someone should tell Champ that Chicago is that way ====>.

But, to be fair, as a lot of fans here know, you can still be loyal to the team and not agree with everything the team does.

Comment

You guys are reading into this waaaaay too much. It was an interview with a Chicago station. Champ has always been a diplomatic guy. It's not like he came out and said Cutler is a top 3 or 4 QB. He said he's a top 10 QB right now. That means Champ thinks he's comparible to the top 1\3 of the QB's in the league.

So, if we're suppose to take at face value the fact that he thinks Cutler is a decent leader and a good QB, then why are we not taking at face value the fact that he said he thinks McDaniels is a good coach?

Is Champ's opinion credible or not?
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                                Yeah, I got that too. To be honest, that worried me more than a bit.

I don't know that it tells the story of the team overall. I think that would be too big of a jump in logic. But it does indicate that maybe Champ isn't buying into what our team is doing. That's not good when you're relying on him to be a leader on this football team.

I think maybe someone should tell Champ that Chicago is that way ====>.

But, to be fair, as a lot of fans here know, you can still be loyal to the team and not agree with everything the team does.
                                I was surprised Champ didnt say things like: The guys are loving the new system...or, mcd has a vision for this team....or, orton is showing a lot of promise.....or, the new playbook is exciting. he could have given some props.

Still, it would be irresponsible to assume that Champ isnt on board with the new regime due to this article. however, it is concerning.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X