Champ Bailey Interview ESPN 1000 Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    You guys are reading into this waaaaay too much. It was an interview with a Chicago station. Champ has always been a diplomatic guy. It's not like he came out and said Cutler is a top 3 or 4 QB. He said he's a top 10 QB right now. That means Champ thinks he's comparible to the top 1\3 of the QB's in the league.

So, if we're suppose to take at face value the fact that he thinks Cutler is a decent leader and a good QB, then why are we not taking at face value the fact that he said he thinks McDaniels is a good coach?

Is Champ's opinion credible or not?
    It's true, we are reading way to much into this. But that's what you get from a football starved group in July who can't wait for the season to start.

What concerned me most was how he was talking about Cutler and how great he is, and then when talking about Orton, it was about Orton earning respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
      It's true, we are reading way to much into this. But that's what you get from a football starved group in July who can't wait for the season to start.

What concerned me most was how he was talking about Cutler and how great he is, and then when talking about Orton, it was about Orton earning respect.
      That didn't concern me at all. He said he respects him for what he has done in Chicago, but respect is earned.

He's gone to battle with Jay, but not with Kyle.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

The only thing that concerned me about the interview was the way he referenced Steve McNair.

Four boys just last their father, and the first thing Champ says is "he helped me out with my 46 picks is all I know about him." If I was one of McNair's family members I would have taken serious exception to that comment.

He did follow it up with some moderate, complimentary statements, but it was tasteless, nontheless.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          The only thing that concerned me about the interview was the way he referenced Steve McNair.

Four boys just last their father, and the first thing Champ says is "he helped me out with my 46 picks is all I know about him." If I was one of McNair's family members I would have taken serious exception to that comment.

He did follow it up with some moderate, complimentary statements, but it was tasteless, nontheless.
          Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Page 3.
          http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Comment

It was just another interview......

90% or more of the time you get nothing newsworthy, exceptional or unique in a player interview, other than with the guys that can be counted on for honest, thoughtful and open dialogue.

So when someone says Jay is good, the weather is fine, the grass is green.....it's all nice, but that's it.

Just an interview (although I tend to agree that he could have used more intelligent commentary re McNair).

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

90% or more of the time you get nothing newsworthy, exceptional or unique in a player interview, other than with the guys that can be counted on for honest, thoughtful and open dialogue.

So when someone says Jay is good, the weather is fine, the grass is green.....it's all nice, but that's it.

Just an interview (although I tend to agree that he could have used more intelligent commentary re McNair).
              "Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability."

That doesn't quite sound like he's merely saying "Jay is good". He's going out of his way to say that he can be the best in the game. He also says that he is "very smart, very sharp", something both Shanahan and Fisher (both who know him better than Dungy does) have said and that blind adherents of the new coach seem to completely forget. Champ also went out of his way to praise Cutler as a leader, something the likes of Royal, Stokley, Clady etc. have all done.

The desperation of some McDaniels supporters to paint Cutler as the next coming of Michael Vick was already a little sad. To continute to do this in the face of the most significant testimony from any player on the team, is quite pathetic really. Some have even sunk to taking shots at Champ and one guy even says "someone should tell Champ that Chicago is that way". It's not hard to see why such people admire the new coach.
              Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

I didn't have nearly the impressions many above have had. Champ answered some questions about Jay honestly and it all seemed fair enough. He gave JC props for being what he has been so far, which is a QB with supreme potential. He has not accomplished much more than that yet.

Chances are he will become an elite QB of the NFL. What if he has a career ending injury then what will he be looked at as? -He'll be looked at as what he is. A QB who had supreme potential.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

I don't know that it tells the story of the team overall. I think that would be too big of a jump in logic. But it does indicate that maybe Champ isn't buying into what our team is doing. That's not good when you're relying on him to be a leader on this football team.
                  It takes time for people to buy into things. Any free agent who's signed with the Bronoc's before this offseason. Probably did so because they believed in Shanahan, Cutler, ect. I think for McD to win some of these guys over. It will only be done with winning. Which you better hope is done over the next two seasons because then Champ is a free agent.

I think maybe someone should tell Champ that Chicago is that way ====>.
                  I think Chicago would be ok with this.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

What about when he says "Well he's definitely in my top ten as far as what he's done to this point. Now where he can be, he can be the best in the game, he has that ability. The guy's very smart, very sharp, great arm; he has all the stuff you'd want. He reminds me of a [Dan] Marino-, [John] Elway-type of guy, and he's going to be a great winner for them"?

I guess that's more like saying "this weather is some of the best weather I've seen. It looks like it's going to be an incredible day. That grass is really green. It's a special kind of green that you only see every once in a long while."
                    2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

Working...
                    X