Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little love for Alphonso Smith

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A little love for Alphonso Smith

    I was bored and looking back at the Senior Bowl trying to find some clips of Ayers but came across this little snipit about smith. It made me feel even better about this pick than I already did!


    http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9...09-Senior-Bowl

    This was them talking about whos stock was very high and who was hot after the senior bowl.....

    "Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith

    His size (5-8 7/8) isn't ideal, and he dropped a certain pick-six in the Senior Bowl, but just about everything else has been going well for the former Wake Forest corner. He's fast, tough and has elite ball skills (21 career interceptions). He may not go in the first round, but the buzz is that he'll be a starter somewhere during his rookie season."

    I know its not much but I'm just trying to pass the time until training camp on soome positive notes.
    Last edited by Caliraiderhater; 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    great find

    I posted this in another spot real small but this weeks sporting news list Alphonso as the 2010 Bronco that will make the "leap" and be the next real deal for our football team.

    I know it is predictions but it is nice to see him getting these accolades early and I hope he brings it and lives up to the hype.
    sigpic
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.


    Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that he is going to be looked at as the steal of the 09 draft. Thanks Chicago.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Anikai View Post
        I think that he is going to be looked at as the steal of the 09 draft. Thanks Chicago.
        Chicago Denver trade details.

        Bears got Cutler and Johnny Knox.

        Denver got Orton, Ayers, Mike Wallace (3rd round pick #84 traded with 3rd round pick #79 Kraig Urbik for 2nd round pick #64 Richard Quinn), and next years 1st that is still to be determined.

        Alphonso Smith is not a part of the Bears trade.

        Comment


        • #5
          i just don't understand how he can be a steal when we traded a top 5 overall pick in 2010 for a guy who wasn't even projected to go in the first round

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
            i just don't understand how he can be a steal when we traded a top 5 overall pick in 2010 for a guy who wasn't even projected to go in the first round
            If you think we'll be a top five pick next year...happy hour starts a lil early for Pandas

            Comment


            • #7
              Top 5 huh?? You honestly think we're worse than the lions, raiders, chiefs, browns, 49ers, Rams, and some other sketchy teams??? I would at least put us a tier above them.

              Comment


              • #8
                We don't need the pick anyways, what good would the 32nd overall pick do us?





                :go:
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  well moustache since we had so many damn picks in the draft, we were able to make moves and pick players like Smith. once again, thanks Chicago..

                  If you think we are going to have a top 5 pick next year you need to get off the bottle and get a job.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                    i just don't understand how he can be a steal when we traded a top 5 overall pick in 2010 for a guy who wasn't even projected to go in the first round
                    Let me explain it. Some people view Smith as a 1st round talent. We took him in the 2nd round, thus paying him a 2nd round salary. That's what will make him a potential steal. The fact that we had two 1st round picks next year made one of them expendable for a guy the FO really wanted.

                    Relax with the top 5 pick business. We've done nothing but improve this football team this year. Minus the QB situation, but that will work itself out. McDaniels refused to get pushed around by a player and flexed his muscles. Nothing wrong with that in my book. It sucks to lose a player like Jay, but the locker room will be a better place with Orton.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Caliraiderhater View Post
                      I was bored and looking back at the Senior Bowl trying to find some clips of Ayers but came across this little snipit about smith. It made me feel even better about this pick than I already did!


                      http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9...09-Senior-Bowl

                      This was them talking about whos stock was very high and who was hot after the senior bowl.....

                      "Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith

                      His size (5-8 7/8) isn't ideal, and he dropped a certain pick-six in the Senior Bowl, but just about everything else has been going well for the former Wake Forest corner. He's fast, tough and has elite ball skills (21 career interceptions). He may not go in the first round, but the buzz is that he'll be a starter somewhere during his rookie season."

                      I know its not much but I'm just trying to pass the time until training camp on soome positive notes.
                      I was so stoked we picked this guy up on draft day. Even though the way we got him left some head scratching but he is worth it. When he gets his hands on the ball he is dangerous. His size...not ideal but the ball is like a magnet to him. He is all over it majority of the time. It will be interesting to see how he transitions but you guys will see...Smith is the real deal...He'll be a shutdown corner before long...bank on it!
                      :go:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9C6JWaoPg
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEUdRqAxgs
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chitown View Post
                          Chicago Denver trade details.

                          Bears got Cutler and Johnny Knox.

                          Denver got Orton, Ayers, Mike Wallace (3rd round pick #84 traded with 3rd round pick #79 Kraig Urbik for 2nd round pick #64 Richard Quinn), and next years 1st that is still to be determined.

                          Alphonso Smith is not a part of the Bears trade.
                          Technically he was not the exact draft pick we got for Cutler, but you really cannot say, Chi had nothing to do with our being able to draft the guy. Once a team has their picks they make a strategy based on the picks they have. Since we had more picks than usual, who's to say we would have Smith or Moreno of it wasn't for the CHI deal.

                          So I say thank you Cutler and Chi

                          :orton:
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here is a couple other captions on our boys!!!

                            http://www.nfldraftdog.com/college-a...post-game.html

                            "One of the most consistent defensive backs on the field that night was the South’s cornerback (CB) Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest). He didn’t make any mistakes but didn’t have a lot of balls thrown to his side, however he made a nice break on the ball and almost intercepted a pass."


                            "Both DT Robert Ayers (Tennessee) and DT Peria Jerry (Ole Miss) looked outstanding on defense for the South team. Especially Ayers, who currently is the fastest rising NFL Draft prospect in the nation. Ayers is quick as a cat and has supreme size at 6’ 3” 273 pounds. He finished the game with 3 tackles, 1 tackle for loss and 2 sacks. Ayers looks like a perfect fit as an end in a 3-4 defense."


                            http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009-nfl-...lue-chart.html

                            ^^^ That link was before the draft and its saying in no order what round players deserve to be drafted in. And yes Moreno, Ayers & Smith are all in round 1.

                            http://nflmocks.com/2009/01/25/10-20...-impressed-us/

                            2. DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee - Set to become the biggest Ayers since Bill. When I say Draft, you say Ayers — Draft-Ayers! Draft-Ayers! (gotta love that SNL skit) Coming in, critics were concerned about him not being a full-time starter as a Vol for very long. Then he straight whooped Michael Oher last Monday in practice and was basically unblockable in last night’s game, recording 1.5 sacks — the half sack resulting in a defensive TD. He’s a second-round lock who could move up with a strong combine showing. Ayers was the Defensive Player of the Game. <<< Before the combine, keep that in mind when you read 2nd round.


                            9. CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest – Should have had a pick six on a route he jumped, but couldn’t come down with it, . He’s a potential shutdown corner for sure. He’ll probably be picked early second, making him this year’s Brandon Flowers. He’ll play like a first-rounder.



                            I know this is all about stuff in the past, BUT its still fun to read about and helps pass the time!
                            Last edited by Caliraiderhater; 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...3/seniorbowl5/


                              Alphonso Smith/CB/Wake Forest: Smith came to Mobile as a fringe first-round pick but enters the game knowing he has solidified himself as a top 20 selection. Smith took on all receivers, including those bigger or faster, and shut them down. He displayed great ball skills and made a living defending or intercepting passes all week.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X