No announcement yet.

A little love for Alphonso Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like alphonso smith and think he will do well no way he will start this year though i reckon maybe he will come in on maybe nickel packages and as a ballhawk will cause headaches for QBs and WRs.. maybe next year though he may well start then
    sigpic

2011 Adopt-A-Bronco Quinton Carter

Comment

I'm excited to see Alphonso step onto the field for us this year. I'm holding out hope that he comes in and wins a place on the squad as a starter for years to come. I think he has the brains and skill for it. Let's see if he has the drive.

In that first video, one thing struck me. One of the announcers at one point made a gushing comment about Smith's intelligence. He concluded with something like "You tell him something once -- he doesn't forget it." It's really no wonder that he was so high on McDaniels' board. He saw something other than just outstanding athleticism.

Originally posted by dannylee View Post
      i like alphonso smith and think he will do well no way he will start this year though i reckon maybe he will come in on maybe nickel packages and as a ballhawk will cause headaches for QBs and WRs.. maybe next year though he may well start then
      I think he'll probably make nickel back this year, and might be asked to move into the starting lineup if either Champ or Goodman gets hurt. Hopefully Williams and/or Bell will also be stepping up their game to make him work for it, though.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        Technically he was not the exact draft pick we got for Cutler, but you really cannot say, Chi had nothing to do with our being able to draft the guy. Once a team has their picks they make a strategy based on the picks they have. Since we had more picks than usual, who's to say we would have Smith or Moreno of it wasn't for the CHI deal.

So I say thank you Cutler and Chi

:orton:

Ditto, trading a first next year wouldn't have been as appealing if you only had one pick, but we had two, so why not.

Technically no, but realisticly yes.

Comment

I do not mind Smith. He reminds me of Tyrone Braxton. A very smart corner who made the move to safety and that helped us win two Super Bowls.

What bothers me is we really did not need a corner and NE took probably the best non-blue chip NT a couple picks later in Ron Brace and we desperately needed a NT.

Not sure what the plan was there but I think the Bronco scout team dropped the ball on this one.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            I do not mind Smith. He reminds me of Tyrone Braxton. A very smart corner who made the move to safety and that helped us win two Super Bowls.

What bothers me is we really did not need a corner and NE took probably the best non-blue chip NT a couple picks later in Ron Brace and we desperately needed a NT.

Not sure what the plan was there but I think the Bronco scout team dropped the ball on this one.

I understand your point. BUT what you have to come to terms with, is that our scouting team didn't believe there was another NT in this draft after Raji not even Brace that was worth that pick or any other pick for that matter. And ask yourself this question...

Say we did draft Brace, he is a player who is all about potential and he is a project player and there is a 50/50 chance he might work out. Is he really better or would he be better than Fields a vet who has played for Nolan before at the pro level and who has had a decent ammount of success? Is Brace really that much better than Baker another guy who we got as an UDFA who was a penn state recruit? Sure he got into a little bit of trouble and had to transfer to Hampton BUT after that happened he pretty much dominated his competition. That tells me he did have to game to play with the power houses in college football. Can you be sure that Brace is or would be better or any less of a project than Powell this year? A guy who was the only player in his senior season in ALL of college to post a negative yards mark when teams ran his way?

So maybe our scout team didn't make a mistake. Maybe they decided instead of reaching for a NT prospect that wouldn't be any better than the other options we already had. they will pull the triger on a player who they had rated as the #1 prospect at his position. And be able to pay him second round $ instead of top 20 $ like he prolly deserves.

So how about instead of using the term "dropping the ball" for the Alphonso smith pick like you used, we call his selection by our scout team a Pick 6 like i'm sure we will see him do this year!
            Last edited by Caliraiderhater; 07-08-2009, 04:51 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caliraiderhater View Post
              I understand your point. BUT what you have to come to terms with, is that our scouting team didn't believe there was another NT in this draft after Raji not even Brace that was worth that pick or any other pick for that matter. And ask yourself this question...

Say we did draft Brace, he is a player who is all about potential and he is a project player and there is a 50/50 chance he might work out. Is he really better or would he be better than Fields a vet who has played for Nolan before at the pro level and who has had a decent ammount of success? Is Brace really that much better than Baker another guy who we got as an UDFA who was a penn state recruit? Sure he got into a little bit of trouble and had to transfer to Hampton BUT after that happened he pretty much dominated his competition. That tells me he did have to game to play with the power houses in college football. Can you be sure that Brace is or would be better or any less of a project than Powell this year? A guy who was the only player in his senior season in ALL of college to post a negative yards mark when teams ran his way?

So maybe our scout team didn't make a mistake. Maybe they decided instead of reaching for a NT prospect that wouldn't be any better than the other options we already had. they will pull the triger on a player who they had rated as the #1 prospect at his position. And be able to pay him second round $ instead of top 20 $ like he prolly deserves.

So how about instead of using the term "dropping the ball" for the Alphonso smith pick like you used, we call his selection by our scout team a Pick 6 like i'm sure we will see him do this year!
              Well NE is pretty good at picking up DL players for the 3-4. If they think Brace is good enough for that high end the 2nd round he probably is that good. If I recall right they even traded up to get em.

Most likely Smith will be playing Nickel back this year if that high. I saw one of his highlight films that showcased 6 picks and 5 of them were more horrible QB throws then Smith making a play. I have herd more then one person say if he was tall he would be a top 10 pick and while height is really important the way a corner uses his hands is even more important imo. Personally I have not seen any game film that tells me this guy is good at using his hands to break up passes.

Brace most certainly would have stepped in and been an immediate run stuffer for us imo.
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I like this kid and I have high hopes for him.

Comment

Working...
                X