Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we ever agreed on a definition of a franchise quarterback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have we ever agreed on a definition of a franchise quarterback?

I just want to know what the consensus definition of a "franchise" QB is, or if there is one.
    XboxLive GamerTag: ShizzleDizzle05 (Accepts all friend requests from fellow Broncos fans)

A QB that is going to be the foundation of a team for the next ten years. Good enough to give you a shot at the 'Big Dance' if you can get a team around him, and that's one of the main points. You give him weapons and build around him to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
      I just want to know what the consensus definition of a "franchise" QB is, or if there is one.
      I would've been one! Only if they put me in the 2nd half of my high school playoff game. You know I could throw the ball half a mile

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shsonline View Post
        It's Gary Kubiak.

Someone who serves the "frachise" faithfully as a backup for ten years then moves on to an illustrious assistant coaching career with the "franchise".

hence "franchise' quarterback........
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by elecshoc View Post
          I would've been one! Only if they put me in the 2nd half of my high school playoff game. You know I could throw the ball half a mile
          lol uncl rico

Comment

a quarterback with all the physical tools, decisiion making, and leadrship abilities to lead 52 other men to the promise land

Comment

There are so many factors that people probably won't agree on, I mean stats vs. games won/lost, taking a team far vs not winning playoffs, td's vs int's. I mean even to say that a QB who takes a team through playoffs to a superbowl may be up in the air as people could argue good defense and running/blocking. I think this topic will have to be kept as an opinion statement as opposed to a factual statement. Too many factors that can be argued in my opinion.

Comment

A QB who 1) consistenly puts your franchise in contention for a title, 2) a QB whose skills speak for themselves and are not embellished by other aspects of the team, such as a great defense (i.e. not Big Ben...yet), and 3) shows a deep respect for the fans and the city where he plays, and is immensely respected in return by said fans (and subsequently hated by everyone else ).

I can really only think of 2 QBs in the past decade that I would call "franchise" QBs: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Favre would've been in that category, too, but...well, how'd that turn out, Green Bay?
                sigpic

Supporting McD since 2009.

Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                  A QB that is going to be the foundation of a team for the next ten years. Good enough to give you a shot at the 'Big Dance' if you can get a team around him, and that's one of the main points. You give him weapons and build around him to succeed.
                  Winner winner chicken dinner

Comment

Originally posted by RodSmithRules View Post
                    A QB who 1) consistenly puts your franchise in contention for a title, 2) a QB whose skills speak for themselves and are not embellished by other aspects of the team, such as a great defense (i.e. not Big Ben...yet), and 3) shows a deep respect for the fans and the city where he plays, and is immensely respected in return by said fans (and subsequently hated by everyone else ).

I can really only think of 2 QBs in the past decade that I would call "franchise" QBs: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Favre would've been in that category, too, but...well, how'd that turn out, Green Bay?
                    I agree... however I would certainly not ignore the fact that Big Ben is a franchise QB regardless of how incredible his defense is. He still is asked to make big time plays for that team and he never fails to deliver. In his worst season he still had Pittsburgh competing for a wild card spot until the very end. (I'm thinking the 06 season) Even when he had nothing to play for in week 17 against Cincy he still played his heart out and won that game, crushing Cincy's playoff hopes for that year.

So there you have it: my definition of a franchise QB would be a guy who shows up to work every day, keeps his mouth shut for the most part, plays his heart out in every game, and leads his team to wins week in and week out. A franchise QB does not need flashy numbers. All they need is the ability to make competent decisions and be able to lead and represent their football team any day of the week.

Comment

A franchise QB is someone who has the cognitive ability to quickly take what he sees from a defense, process it very quickly, and has the arm and the accuracy to exploit what he sees. A franchise QB also has the discipline to take what a defense gives and does not try to do too much. A QB who does this more times than not will help a team win consistently. That's what makes Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana who they are, and makes Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, who they are.

Too many people get caught up in the big arm, and the accuracy (can hit an exit sign from 60 yards away from one knee). But it's the brain, or more accurately, cognitive speed and ability that makes a franchise QB.

I almost forgot. A franchise QB is someone who works around the clock on mechanics, breaking down defenses, and in their own playbook, as well as timing with WRs. A QB has to be the hardest working guy in the locker room. Franchise QB or not.
                      Last edited by Crazy8; 07-09-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I would say that a franchise QB would be someone who was aloof with reporters, talked down to people, dismissed losses as someone elses fault, sulkes when loosing, and wouldn't return the new coaches phone callls, all while only being with the team 3 years.......oh wait.

Litteraly i think a franchise QB is someone you can "build a franchise" around. HOWEVER to build a franchise around someone you have to have ultimate faith in them, trust them, and have a solid belief that they have the maturity and moxy to not let you down.

He who is building (or rebuilding) the franchise will find a "franchise QB" to build around. Sometimes with a changing of the guard the idea of what the "franchise" should be changes..............

Comment

A franchise QB is simply that, your answer at QB for your team, for a long time. Someone you won't want to upgrade or get rid of, the backbone, the center piece that you build your team around. AKA Bart Star :!
                          sigpic
                          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Most of the time when I hear analysts talk about a franchise QB, it's either a Hall of Famer, A soon-to-be Hall of Famer, or a young QB with potential to one day be a Hall of Famer.

That's not necessarily one of the prerequisites, but you don't hear people calling Trent Dilfer, or Brad Johnson franchise QBs even though they won a Super Bowl. At the same time, Guys like Marino and Jim Kelly were franchise QBs even though they never won the big one.

I guess what I'm saying is "franchise QBs" are usually either great or have shown definite signs that they are on their way to being great.
                            2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

I have the Answer

This was a great post....

Great definition with Gary Kubiak. I remember when Kubiak led Denver to a victory when Elway had the flu in D.C.

I have the answer to what is not a franchise quarterback...

Last edited by 100%Broncoholic; 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM.
                              sigpic
                              The Bronco fan pledge;
                              I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                              I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                              I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                              I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                              Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Working...
                              X