Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we ever agreed on a definition of a franchise quarterback?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
    You don't think Favre was a franchise QB!!?!?


    Flacco hasn't shown nearly enough to be that. McNabb hasn't always been loved by the fans.
    Being loved by the fans is kind of irrelevant, McNabb has show that he is a franchise QB by consistently taking his team to the NFC Conference Championship with a mediocre receiving core.
    http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=30412676
    MMO Football Game

    I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by MJA View Post
      Being loved by the fans is kind of irrelevant, McNabb has show that he is a franchise QB by consistently taking his team to the NFC Conference Championship with a mediocre receiving core.
      I agree, but I was going off his definition.

      Comment


      • #33
        No... we haven't ever agreed on the definition of a franchise QB.

        Except for one thing... he usually makes a butt load of money
        sigpic
        The Lone Ranger

        Member #970 of the Knowshon Fan Club. Championship!

        Shanny Fan? McDaniels Fan? I'm a Denver Broncos Fan!!!

        NECKBEARD!

        Comment


        • #34
          I don't think there is a true definition of a franchise quarterback.

          I think it's just a term used to market the quarterback position. The best quarterbacks in the league get called franchise quarterbacks to separate them from lesser quarterbacks. It keeps fans entertained and engaged. Those that root for teams that have "franchise" quarterbacks have something to brag about. Those that root for a team that doesn't have one, have something to complain about. It's a distraction from the reality that football is a team sport. It's easier for the NFL and the networks to market personalities/individuals than it is to market the team concept. Fans become attached to individuals and therefore it becomes necessary to market individual players.

          Cutler gets traded and fans react like they've been victimized. Why? Because they've been made to believe that one individual is the difference between success and failure. They've been made to believe that Cutler is this mythical franchise quarterback, without whom, the Broncos will slump into the abysmal cellar of the NFL. To them, Kyle Orton is this inept goof who couldn't even hope to achieve what Cutler could achieve, only if Cutler had the support of a decent defense as Kyle Orton did in Chicago. In that, they still don't realize that this claim is an admission that football is a team sport and that it necessarily means that the Broncos can achieve success without Jay Cutler.

          The difference between a franchise quarterback and a non franchise quarterback is that the franchise quarterback is the guy everyone loves for one reason or another and the non franchise quarterback is the guy that everyone either hates or, at the very least, could do without and wants to see that guy cut or traded. Trent Dilfer helps the Ravens win a Super Bowl but yet, they didn't like him enough to keep him around.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by downinbellum View Post
            No... we haven't ever agreed on the definition of a franchise QB.

            Except for one thing... he usually makes a butt load of money
            Sweet.....then I am a franchise QB.

            Last time I played QB I was in JV football as a freshman. I was really a running back but our QB got hit and his helmet split in two and we had noone else so I volunteered. The coach called a running play, my good buddy was a receiver who was "always" open...so I changed to a quick slant. He slipped I threw a beautiful ball to the cornerback of the other team and quickly learned I was no longer the QB. However, since I make a boat load of money now I am once again a franchise QB. yes!!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by broncolee View Post
              I don't think there is a true definition of a franchise quarterback.

              I think it's just a term used to market the quarterback position. The best quarterbacks in the league get called franchise quarterbacks to separate them from lesser quarterbacks. It keeps fans entertained and engaged. Those that root for teams that have "franchise" quarterbacks have something to brag about. Those that root for a team that doesn't have one, have something to complain about. It's a distraction from the reality that football is a team sport. It's easier for the NFL and the networks to market personalities/individuals than it is to market the team concept. Fans become attached to individuals and therefore it becomes necessary to market individual players.

              Cutler gets traded and fans react like they've been victimized. Why? Because they've been made to believe that one individual is the difference between success and failure. They've been made to believe that Cutler is this mythical franchise quarterback, without whom, the Broncos will slump into the abysmal cellar of the NFL. To them, Kyle Orton is this inept goof who couldn't even hope to achieve what Cutler could achieve, only if Cutler had the support of a decent defense as Kyle Orton did in Chicago. In that, they still don't realize that this claim is an admission that football is a team sport and that it necessarily means that the Broncos can achieve success without Jay Cutler.

              The difference between a franchise quarterback and a non franchise quarterback is that the franchise quarterback is the guy everyone loves for one reason or another and the non franchise quarterback is the guy that everyone either hates or, at the very least, could do without and wants to see that guy cut or traded. Trent Dilfer helps the Ravens win a Super Bowl but yet, they didn't like him enough to keep him around.

              Sounds like your a sociologist

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Da Swerski View Post
                I agree, but I was going off his definition.
                I wasn't talking about the fans. I was talking about the team. McNabb is a franchise QB. Also, I said Flacco, Ryan, and Rodgers look like they'll be with their teams long enough to become that guy.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                  A QB that is going to be the foundation of a team for the next ten years. Good enough to give you a shot at the 'Big Dance' if you can get a team around him, and that's one of the main points. You give him weapons and build around him to succeed.
                  That's as good a definition as you will ever get.

                  I was going to add that a franchise QB is a player who can, on occasion, lift a team up singlehandedly and win.

                  Elway had those qualities for certain, but being a franhise-level QB doesn't require the ability to do it year after year..just the sure ability to do it, period.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                    I don't think there is a true definition of a franchise quarterback.

                    I think it's just a term used to market the quarterback position. The best quarterbacks in the league get called franchise quarterbacks to separate them from lesser quarterbacks. It keeps fans entertained and engaged. Those that root for teams that have "franchise" quarterbacks have something to brag about. Those that root for a team that doesn't have one, have something to complain about. It's a distraction from the reality that football is a team sport. It's easier for the NFL and the networks to market personalities/individuals than it is to market the team concept. Fans become attached to individuals and therefore it becomes necessary to market individual players.

                    Cutler gets traded and fans react like they've been victimized. Why? Because they've been made to believe that one individual is the difference between success and failure. They've been made to believe that Cutler is this mythical franchise quarterback, without whom, the Broncos will slump into the abysmal cellar of the NFL. To them, Kyle Orton is this inept goof who couldn't even hope to achieve what Cutler could achieve, only if Cutler had the support of a decent defense as Kyle Orton did in Chicago. In that, they still don't realize that this claim is an admission that football is a team sport and that it necessarily means that the Broncos can achieve success without Jay Cutler.

                    The difference between a franchise quarterback and a non franchise quarterback is that the franchise quarterback is the guy everyone loves for one reason or another and the non franchise quarterback is the guy that everyone either hates or, at the very least, could do without and wants to see that guy cut or traded. Trent Dilfer helps the Ravens win a Super Bowl but yet, they didn't like him enough to keep him around.
                    I second this post.

                    A franchise QB sells more jerseys than an ordinary QB. He also gets more airtime and endorsements. The league loves franchise QBs because it generates more interest, and Peyton can't be the poster-boy for the NFL forever. By extension, the media loves franchise QBs because more league interest equals higher ratings.

                    Cutler certainly fits the mold in Chicago. They're practically naming streets after him. If he stinks or is even just average, it will be embarrassing to the Nth degree for them, because he is their franchise QB without having thrown a pass for them.
                    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by 100%Broncoholic View Post
                      Look no further for the definition
                      YES!!! the true Franchise QB
                      sigpic

                      2011 Adopt-A-Bronco Quinton Carter

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        More Crazy Talk

                        Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                        A franchise QB is someone who has the cognitive ability to quickly take what he sees from a defense, process it very quickly, and has the arm and the accuracy to exploit what he sees. A franchise QB also has the discipline to take what a defense gives and does not try to do too much. A QB who does this more times than not will help a team win consistently. That's what makes Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana who they are, and makes Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, who they are.

                        Too many people get caught up in the big arm, and the accuracy (can hit an exit sign from 60 yards away from one knee). But it's the brain, or more accurately, cognitive speed and ability that makes a franchise QB.

                        I almost forgot. A franchise QB is someone who works around the clock on mechanics, breaking down defenses, and in their own playbook, as well as timing with WRs. A QB has to be the hardest working guy in the locker room. Franchise QB or not.
                        You and the other Kool-Aid drinkers who are trying to absorb the shock of losing our franchise QB to the Bears are now trying to redefine what a franchise QB is all about. How could you possibly put Ryan Leaf in the same sentence as Peyton Manning? This clearly shows your lack of football knowledge.

                        A franchise QB is one that can go out every year and win two or three games just with his arm. A QB that scares opposing defenses is another criteria.
                        Elway was the prototype for a franchise QB. During the Dan Reeves era there were many years that Denver did not have a lot of talent. Yet Elway would drag them into the playoffs just by his ability. He was a big game QB that could make all the throws and change the course of a game all by himself.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Franchise? A selfless player and leader that elevates the game to higher levels, and makes those who play around him better. SB and MVP wins help. This can be in any position, I consider Bailey a franchise CB, and Clady a franchise LT.

                          I'd say very few QBs in the ratio of how many have played the game, at least since 1960: Starr. Stabler. Tarkenton. Bradshaw. Staubach. Aikman. Montana. Young. Marino. Kelly. Elway. Brady. P Manning. Favre. Warner.

                          All the others? "potential" franchise QBs. Yes JC that includes you.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Wow..all these long winded answers when it can easily be answered in a sentence. A QB that helps his team win and win consistenly when it matters!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X