Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Breakdown of What's Truly Better: A Top Offense or Top Defense? (1990-2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    In the case of Colts and Bears, the Bears could not overcome Rex Grossman LOL
    Originally posted by Cap'N Chronic View Post
    The Bears didn't have Tommie Harris or Mike Brown. They were also very inconsistent from the 2nd half on. The defense in the SB was not the real 06 D. Then you have to factor in Grossman did really, really bad in the 2nd half.
    Noted on both counts. However, I'm not talking about that one game in particular. That game was used as an example of why a comparison between what the winner had versus what the loser had in all the games needs to take place.

If I go into a game with the number 9 offense and the number 1 defense and I win, we're likely to say "the defense won it."

If I played against the number 8 offense especially.

But if I also played against the number 9 defense, then that's really where the key probably is even though someone using just my team's rankings would be apt to say my strong defense won it.

Comment

I'll look at each SB game later and determine the results.
      http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=30412676
      MMO Football Game

I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

Comment

I think the most balanced SB we've seen in a while was NE vs Carolina
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The Green Bay Denver game was pretty close in terms of relative skill of both units (offense and defense) and among both teams as well.

Comment

Just flipping through my data and I found a couple interesting matchups.

1990 season, Giants (#15 O and #1 D) Vs Ravens (#1 O and #6 D). The Giants won that game 20 to 19.

2002 season, Raiders (#2 O and #6 D) Vs Bucs (#18 O and #1 D). The Bucs won 48 to 21.

2005 season, Seahawks (#1 O and #7 D) Vs Steelers (#9 O and #3 D). The Steelers won 21 to 10.

The 2006 season was the only one to see a SB champ win with a mediocre D when playing against an elite D. The Colts (#2 O and #23 D) beat the Bears (#2 O and #3 D) 29 to 17.

2007 was another strange season with the Giants (#14 O and #17 D) beating the unbeaten Patriots (#1 O and #4 D) despite having a much worse O and D. They won the game 17 to 14.

2008 saw two teams who were strong in one aspect and weak in another. Defense prevailed however, with the Steelers (#20 O and #1 D) beating the Cardinals (#3 O and #28 D) 27 to 23.
            MMO Football Game

I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
              I think the most balanced SB we've seen in a while was NE vs Carolina
              Actually, not particularly. The Panthers were 15th in offense and 10th in defense, compared with the Pats who were 12th in offense and 1st in defense.
              MMO Football Game

Comment

Originally posted by MJA View Post
                Just flipping through my data and I found a couple interesting matchups.

1990 season, Giants (#15 O and #1 D) Vs Ravens (#1 O and #6 D). The Giants won that game 20 to 19.

2002 season, Raiders (#2 O and #6 D) Vs Bucs (#18 O and #1 D). The Bucs won 48 to 21.

2005 season, Seahawks (#1 O and #7 D) Vs Steelers (#9 O and #3 D). The Steelers won 21 to 10.

The 2006 season was the only one to see a SB champ win with a mediocre D when playing against an elite D. The Colts (#2 O and #23 D) beat the Bears (#2 O and #3 D) 29 to 17.

2007 was another strange season with the Giants (#14 O and #17 D) beating the unbeaten Patriots (#1 O and #4 D) despite having a much worse O and D. They won the game 17 to 14.

2008 saw two teams who were strong in one aspect and weak in another. Defense prevailed however, with the Steelers (#20 O and #1 D) beating the Cardinals (#3 O and #28 D) 27 to 23.
                Interesting these games seem to hold to the statement that most all coaches make, D wins you championships.
                People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

sigpic

Comment

Overall I think you can win top offense/average defense but from my experience teams who can make the clutch stops on defense are the ones who can take control of a game and win

Remember the Colt's superbowl run through postseason where their defense played inspired ball and made a TON of clutch stops. Noone expected that kind of play from those guys. Their stats kinda sucked but not during the postseason

I guess the other argument would be someone like Kurt Warner who is imho clutch for the offense side. Chicken or Egg?

I'd rather have a top defense/average offense any day -as long as they could make the clutch stop. It's frustrating either way though for a fan.

Stats and clutch dont work together so, imo the answer is not in the stats. Postseason is about clutch.
                  The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

You guys really must not be able to read . My stats do say that defense does win championships.
                    MMO Football Game

Comment

MJA thanks for posting appreciate all the effort!

At the end of the day, I know we all want to make blanket statements like "defense wins championships", but the fact is, what matters at the end of the day is a BALANCED team, THAT is what it takes to win championships, and I think your stats support that perfectly. When you also account for the variability of "any given sunday", then it makes it even harder to say using statistics what really gives you the best chance to win if you have an unbalanced team.

Look at the extreme cases: a team that is #1 on defense and #32 on offense.....I promise you they WILL NOT be winning any championships if they can't put any points on the board. Likewise, what about a team that is #1 offensively and #32 defensively.....well we all know how that little expiriment turned out....

Comment

definatly deserves a cp.

when it comes down to it, i just think that the simple answer is that having a good defense is much more consistent then a good offense. an offense haves on and off days; days where they'll put up 40 points and days where they just can't get rolling. on the other hand, it seems like a top defense will consistently keep the game at a manageable rate. which is, of course, the most important thing in the playoffs seeing as your expected to win 3-4 games in a row.

i have no idea why this is, but to me defense is a bit more of a team sport as oppose to offense which seems more specialized. if an RB has an off day, then there goes your running game. if a dominant reciever goes down, there goes the all important double team.
                        disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Working...
                        X