8. Warren Moon
    7. Daryle Lamonica
    6. Jim Kelly
    5. Sammy Baugh
    4. Dan Fouts
    3. Sonny Jergensen
    2. Dan Marino
    1. Brett Favre

This is the list from the NFL Networks Top Ten: Gunslingers. I dont see why Elway was left off, especially considering some of the people who are on it.

I mean, yeah, Elway wasnt JUST a gunslinger, he was a playmaker; able to beat you from the pocket or on the run, but he still had one of the strongest arms in the history of the NFL-that alone should constitute a spot on the list.
    sigpic

No, honestly.

When left to his own devices, he chose to stay in the pocket and hit receivers in stride as the play intended. He could improvise when he needed to.

He didn't choose to, however.

He was a miracle in that he had the running ability that was on par with any QB I've ever seen, but he was absolutely, positively, 100% capable of being a precision quarterback who put the ball exactly where it needed to be at exactly the moment it needed to be there.

No, I'd not call him a gunslinger. Had he chosen to be I believe he'd be the greatest gunslinger in the history of the NFL, because he certainly had that ability.

But when left to his own devices he did what a quarterback is supposed to do; dissect the defense from inside the pocket; and I believe he was better at that than anyone who ever played before him or after him.

Comment

I would say that he was left off due to us having too much success with the run. Most appear to be Run and Shoot QB's not ones who had well balanced attacks.

I would personally call him a gunslinger though. Just not as many 50 pass games as the one's mentioned above.
      2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
        10. Joe Namath
        9. Kurt Warner
        8. Warren Moon
        7. Daryle Lamonica
        6. Jim Kelly
        5. Sammy Baugh
        4. Dan Fouts
        3. Sonny Jergensen
        2. Dan Marino
        1. Brett Favre

This is the list from the NFL Networks Top Ten: Gunslingers. I dont see why Elway was left off, especially considering some of the people who are on it.

I mean, yeah, Elway wasnt JUST a gunslinger, he was a playmaker; able to beat you from the pocket or on the run, but he still had one of the strongest arms in the history of the NFL-that alone should constitute a spot on the list.
        if the INT stat played a part in this list, then i can see why fouts is on it and not elway

fouts threw a TON of ints compared to his tds
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
          10. Joe Namath
          9. Kurt Warner
          8. Warren Moon
          7. Daryle Lamonica
          6. Jim Kelly
          5. Sammy Baugh
          4. Dan Fouts
          3. Sonny Jergensen
          2. Dan Marino
          1. Brett Favre

Back when Jay Cutler said he had a stronger arm than John Elway, it made me wonder what point in Elway's career he was referencing.

There was a time when Elway's passes could knock receivers down.

The "Elway Cross" was the bruise made when receivers let one of his passes hit an unprotected part of their body.

Who was is who said, "Elway could throw a ball through a carwash and it would come out the other end dry."?

There are some crazy stories from his college days. Like the time Ronnie Lott was having a conversation in the EZ with a Stanford receiver, saying "John can't throw it that far." about the time the ball arrived.

Maybe Jay just wasn't old enough to remember.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
            No, honestly.

When left to his own devices, he chose to stay in the pocket and hit receivers in stride as the play intended. He could improvise when he needed to.

He was a miracle in that he had the running ability that was on par with any QB I've ever seen, but he was absolutely, positively, 100% capable of being a precision quarterback who put the ball exactly where it needed to be at exactly the moment it needed to be there.

No, I'd not call him a gunslinger. Had he chosen to be I believe he'd be the greatest gunslinger in the history of the NFL, because he certainly had that ability.

But when left to his own devices he did what a quarterback is supposed to do; dissect the defense from inside the pocket; and I believe he was better at that than anyone who ever played before him or after him.
            I would have to agree with you: Elway was not a gunslinger. He preferred to
            manage a game unless and until it came time to take over and win it. But of
            course, when that time came, he did it with aplomb.

Still, if some of these guys, whom I would not consider "gunslingers," are on
            that list, then Elway belongs there above most of them.

But I'm not worried about it: Elway is what he is. How can one take perhaps
            the best all-around QB to play the game and limit him to one category?

-----

Comment

Elway was definitely a gunslinger for most of his career. As he got older he did it a little less, but he still showed his inner gunslinger occasionally. I personally would have put him on the list.

Comment

No, honestly.

Good points..but I still have to refer to the strength of his arm. As sam stated below me, Elway may have had the strongest arm in the history of the league, and if not the strongest then definitely in the top 5. I just think that that is good enough to be on that list, especially after seeing Jim Kelley on it lol

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Back when Jay Cutler said he had a stronger arm than John Elway, it made me wonder what point in Elway's career he was referencing.

There was a time when Elway's passes could knock receivers down.

The "Elway Cross" was the bruise made when receivers let one of his passes hit an unprotected part of their body.

Who was is who said, "Elway could throw a ball through a carwash and it would come out the other end dry."?

There are some crazy stories from his college days. Like the time Ronnie Lott was having a conversation in the EZ with a Stanford receiver, saying "John can't throw it that far." about the time the ball arrived.

Maybe Jay just wasn't old enough to remember.
                :salute!: :go:
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'N Chronic View Post
                  Elway was definitely a gunslinger for most of his career. As he got older he did it a little less, but he still showed his inner gunslinger occasionally. I personally would have put him on the list.
                  Just glancing at that list I would put Elway ahead of at least 5 of those guys. Throwing interceptions does not make you a gunslinger. Slinging the ball around the field with you gun does.

Comment

Originally posted by Chitown View Post
                    Just glancing at that list I would put Elway ahead of at least 5 of those guys. Throwing interceptions does not make you a gunslinger. Slinging the ball around the field with you gun does.
                    really? when i think gunslinger i think guys who take chances and just don't care, ala favre and fouts
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                      really? when i think gunslinger i think guys who take chances and just don't care, ala favre and fouts
                      Me too. The term "gunslinger" has negative connotations to it in my mind. "Careless, reckless, dangerous."

For good or for bad, they air it out. "Good judgment" is not a term I'd associate with most "gunslingers" but this may be a result of the nature of the beast. A gunslinger improvises because the plan falls apart, so of course there are going to be moments of glory and moments of greatness. It does tend to create an air of irresponsibility with the ball, however. Something Elway isn't remembered for (though he was known for that once).

He evolved into something unseen before on an NFL field, however. The others... Not so much.

Comment

Me too. The term "gunslinger" has negative connotations to it in my mind. "Careless, reckless, dangerous."

For good or for bad, they air it out. "Good judgment" is not a term I'd associate with most "gunslingers" but this may be a result of the nature of the beast. A gunslinger improvises because the plan falls apart, so of course there are going to be moments of glory and moments of greatness. It does tend to create an air of irresponsibility with the ball, however. Something Elway isn't remembered for (though he was known for that once).

He evolved into something unseen before on an NFL field, however. The others... Not so much.
                        ^^^This.

Gunslingers have the attitude of, "hope this works!" whereas Elway had the attitude of "this is GOING to work, and you can't stop it."
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Or maybe he was a gunslinger who was just so good that it often did work?

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            Or maybe he was a gunslinger who was just so good that it often did work?

Like William Bonney?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Welcome to random reference day on Broncomania!

Comment

Working...
                              X