No announcement yet.

Was Elway Not a Gunslinger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could "hear the footsteps" of unseen, would-be sackers. He could duck under a diving linebacker, tie his shoe, and then stand up straight and throw a touchdown bomb. He was the rush whisperer.
    "Josh has handcuffed and buried this team for the next five years if not a decade. He has no game plan."-thinkin101

"Welcome to your first losing season McD... you'll probably get a few right off the bat."-jrthefreak

"I think the season will be a bloodbath. I'm on record and stand by my prediction of a 3-13 season..."-wolverine83

Comment

I really dont know what to think about the question...

When you think of Gunslinger ... One of the things you got to consider is arm strength..Any QB list that is best of Top Ten all time .... Its hard not seeing Elway on it..You pretty much can make a case for him in all areas imo ..Elway is one of the best all time in all of sports not just football ... The generations that did not get to see him play other then highlight reels truely missed out .....
      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
        I really dont know what to think about the question...

When you think of Gunslinger ... One of the things you got to consider is arm strength..Any QB list that is best of Top Ten all time .... Its hard not seeing Elway on it..You pretty much can make a case for him in all areas imo ..Elway is one of the best all time in all of sports not just football ... The generations that did not get to see him play other then highlight reels truely missed out .....
        That is something I can definitely agree with. He was a special athlete. He possibly could have been a HOF baseball player as well.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Bronco Lover

Elway, to me, was a better quarterback than Favre. John can do more with the football than Brett. I have never seen Brett pooch-punt, but John has. I have watched him do it.

Also, I feel John had better wide receivers to throw to than Brett did.

John Elway was a gunslinger, playmaker, and magician. He retired at the top, while Brett still can't make up his mind.
          D.E

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
            10. Joe Namath
            9. Kurt Warner
            8. Warren Moon
            7. Daryle Lamonica
            6. Jim Kelly
            5. Sammy Baugh
            4. Dan Fouts
            3. Sonny Jergensen
            2. Dan Marino
            1. Brett Favre

This is the list from the NFL Networks Top Ten: Gunslingers. I dont see why Elway was left off, especially considering some of the people who are on it...
            The problem I see here is the term 'gunslinger'. It essentially discribes the QBs position- the guy that thows the ball, "fires the bullet", etc. The list is a fair collection of talented QBs throughout the NFL's history, but there isn't a consistant basis of comparison here.

If a 'gunslinger' is known for his tendency to 'shoot from the hip' then are we respecting his speed and accuracy? Farve would certainly not be the leader in that regard. So is it a recless accuracy then? If so, the term 'gunslinger' should not really apply becuase anyone who would fancy him or herself even a half-decent gunslinger was not around long if they were recless with their shots. What's more, Marino was never known for recless accuracy so it has to be something else.

One thing's for certian, what all the QBs on that list have in common is they threw the ball... A LOT, maybe more then they really needed to. It could be a lack of running support on some teams, or a certain lack of mobility- but we're talking about the kind of QB that has 3rd and inches and they drop back looking for a quick read or an unexpected strike to the endzone.

There are more then a few exceptional QBs left off that list, including Elway. In my opinion a true 'gunslinger' in the NFL is any QB who is terrifying to the opposing team when the ball is in thier hands. The list would be a whole lot more distinctive if that were the case (and Elway would have certainly made a list like that).

Considering all this, and given the fact that Farve has the top spot, one would have to conclude that the best discription for this list is really nothing more then 'QBs who were most like Brett Farve'...

but even then Dan Marino seems out of place... oh well.
            Last edited by Mile High Jedi; 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
              Me too. The term "gunslinger" has negative connotations to it in my mind. "Careless, reckless, dangerous."

For good or for bad, they air it out. "Good judgment" is not a term I'd associate with most "gunslingers" but this may be a result of the nature of the beast. A gunslinger improvises because the plan falls apart, so of course there are going to be moments of glory and moments of greatness. It does tend to create an air of irresponsibility with the ball, however. Something Elway isn't remembered for (though he was known for that once).

He evolved into something unseen before on an NFL field, however. The others... Not so much.
              I remember something Tom Jackson said about Elway, way back when they
              were both playing. (At least, I believe I recall how it went.) Jackson described
              an Elway play:

"John takes the snap. The pressure drives him out of the pocket. He runs all
              the way to the left sideline. Nobody's open. He runs all the way to the right
              sideline. Nobody's open. He runs all the way back to the left sideline and
              throws the ball 80 yards."

-----

Comment

I don't remember Elway being as reckless with the ball as the guys on that list. Elway knew he had a strong arm but he wasn't as apt to force it into triple coverage a la Favre. He would tuck it and run. I would define a gunslinger as one who will throw it no matter what. John doesn't resemble that in my opinion.

Comment

I'd say he was a gunslinger.
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

wow some of you guys amaze me. trying to define gunslinger....its not that hard guys. from what some of you guys say its obvious you have never really seen elway play.
                    Elway should be on top of the list. he was the defenition of the guy that could make a play out of nothing. and the other big thing was that he could and would make any throw at any time from anyware. He would take all kind of chances with the ball and try to fit in the throws into tight spots..
                    Do you not remember all the times he would roll out to the left and throw the ball all the way back across the feild and hear the anouncer say "your not suposed to get away with that, but John can"
                    Or him throwing a 50 yard bomb on 4th and 10. All the comebacks... thats the definition of gunslinger...
                    He was not a pocket passer.. yes he could do it but he put the fear of God in teams when he left the pocket...
                    Its what made him the best of all time in my opinion.. and trust me, Ive seen every game he played in the pros, ( it also makes me a little bias). but his gunslinger mentality was what made him

Now why hes not on that list, and not number 1.. I have no clue...
                    sigpic

Comment

I won't chime in on whether Elway was a gunslinger or not, what gets me is he is not on the NFL.coms top ten MOBILE qb's of all time... Now that is is an undebatable screw up of Ginormous magnitude! Marino make the list on a stretch argument of slight movement in the pocket but John "run for the first down on third and eleven" Elway is ommited?

Not to mention his scrambling a la Fran Tarkington and making a play 40 yrds downfiel throwing across his body...

sigpic
                      \

Comment

I would say Elway was one of the last great gunslingers. The game has changed now and gunslingers aren't suited to the new NFL. Marino (who I would not consider a gunslinger) would own the league now. But Elway was the best gunslinger in the era of gunslingers.

Comment

Originally posted by j3phr3y View Post
                          Elway was one of the last great gunslingers. But Elway was the best gunslinger in the era of gunslingers.
                          I don't know ... I was thinking more William Bonney or Doc Holliday ... in the era of gunslingers, that is.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                          X