Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Royal: The Next Wes Welker?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eddie Royal: The Next Wes Welker?

    If you ask somebody who the best slot receiver is in the NFL, they'll tell you that it's Wes Welker. He is a great player whose potential wasn't realized until he got a great quarterback. The more I think about Eddie Royal, the more Wes Welker I see in him. Both are small receivers who are fast and hard to take down. Both are great route runners. What separates Welker from every other slot receiver is his amazing quickness. Royal isn't quite as quick as Welker, but he does have great quickness. In our new offense, Royal will be used in the way Welker was in New England. I expect a huge year out of Royal. About 90 catches 1000 yards and 8 touchdowns is a realistic year with solid quarterback play.
    Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

  • #2
    IF we are running the same system as NE I would say that Royal would prob be playing the Moss role. Streching the field and forcing the D to be honest. I think we'd see alot of Stokley in the slot (he is a better slot that Royal) and often relieved by McKinley. Stokley was winded at the end of the 07 season as the #2 reciever and said he feels better playing 40% - 60% of the snaps. IF the O is the same as NE then the slot would be on the field most every play. McKinley will get his chance to shine this year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
      If you ask somebody who the best slot receiver is in the NFL, they'll tell you that it's Wes Welker. He is a great player whose potential wasn't realized until he got a great quarterback. The more I think about Eddie Royal, the more Wes Welker I see in him. Both are small receivers who are fast and hard to take down. Both are great route runners. What separates Welker from every other slot receiver is his amazing quickness. Royal isn't quite as quick as Welker, but he does have great quickness. In our new offense, Royal will be used in the way Welker was in New England. I expect a huge year out of Royal. About 90 catches 1000 yards and 8 touchdowns is a realistic year with solid quarterback play.
      Im hoping for the next 'Marvin Harrison' .......uh, without the gun play in the bar parking lot of course.
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by theshiverman View Post
        Im hoping for the next 'Marvin Harrison' .......uh, without the gun play in the bar parking lot of course.
        I agree. Harrison is a much better comparison than Welker.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Zanders76 View Post
          IF we are running the same system as NE I would say that Royal would prob be playing the Moss role. Streching the field and forcing the D to be honest. I think we'd see alot of Stokley in the slot (he is a better slot that Royal) and often relieved by McKinley. Stokley was winded at the end of the 07 season as the #2 reciever and said he feels better playing 40% - 60% of the snaps. IF the O is the same as NE then the slot would be on the field most every play. McKinley will get his chance to shine this year.
          I highly doubt we would use Royal in a Moss mold.

          If anyone plays moss, it will be Marshall

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
            I highly doubt we would use Royal in a Moss mold.

            If anyone plays moss, it will be Marshall
            Marshall lacks the speed to strech the field or the ability to gain the type of seperation Moss got. Marshall is more of a posession reciever.

            Comment


            • #7
              They're going to use Marshall like Moss as a vertical threat. They'll use Royal out wide and in the slot, but mostly in the slot. They'll use Gaffney out wide and move Royal to the slot. Stokely will be used in the other slot in 4 receiver sets and will be used in the slot to keep Royal fresh. Harrison isn't a good comparison.
              Last edited by Iron Clady; 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM.
              Go Broncos!!!:thumb:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iron Clady View Post
                They're going to use Marshall like Moss as a vertical threat. They'll use Royal out wide and in the slot, but mostly in the slot. They'll use Gaffney out wide and move Royal to the slot. Stokely will be used in the other slot in 4 receiver sets and will be used in the slot to keep Royal fresh. Harrison isn't a good comparison.
                lol to be honest this is exactly what I was thinkin'...buttttt that guy does have a good point...do u put Royal in Moss's Role because of Speed or Marshall because of size hah...i didn't think bout that....but I still think it'll be this way...because Royal is so shifty and fast like Welker

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why put gaffney at number two when Royal has proven he can play on the other side quite competently infact, above average, and Stokely is the man in the slot position. I honestly don't understand why we'd change the Receiving corps, unless we lose Marshall. Do you guys really see Gaffney as an upgrade? Just wondering no offense to anyone. Well that's just my opinion.
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Right now, Eddie Royal reminds me of a poor man's Steve Smith. He is small but very strong and tough on the field, and a nightmare to cover 1 on 1. I think Gaffney was a great addition. Marshall, Royal, Stokley and Gaffney on the field will be too much to handle. And don't forget Moreno and Hillis catching the ball.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      Right now, Eddie Royal reminds me of a poor man's Steve Smith. He is small but very strong and tough on the field, and a nightmare to cover 1 on 1. I think Gaffney was a great addition. Marshall, Royal, Stokley and Gaffney on the field will be too much to handle. And don't forget Moreno and Hillis catching the ball.
                      Good point, I've always said Royal reminds me alot of Steve Smith, which is not a bad thing
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                        Why put gaffney at number two when Royal has proven he can play on the other side quite competently infact, above average, and Stokely is the man in the slot position. I honestly don't understand why we'd change the Receiving corps, unless we lose Marshall. Do you guys really see Gaffney as an upgrade? Just wondering no offense to anyone. Well that's just my opinion.
                        bro u really must JakenBake alot...we're running the Spread...Wes Welker is the TRUE #2 WR in the NE offense...but he's in the slot... that's what Royal will be....and to the comment above me??..the Poor man's Smith??? that's rediculous, Smith isn't that much better than royal if any

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Marshall can spread the field. He's alot faster than many believe. His size helps too.
                          Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

                          Team Tebow #16

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                            bro u really must JakenBake alot...we're running the Spread...Wes Welker is the TRUE #2 WR in the NE offense...but he's in the slot... that's what Royal will be....and to the comment above me??..the Poor man's Smith??? that's rediculous, Smith isn't that much better than royal if any
                            I never said poor mans I just said he reminds me alot of Steve Smith. And I know we're running the Spread But Royal is a lot faster than Welker. And thanks for insulting me, but my name has nothing to do with what you are reffering to. It's sort of like ShakeNbake. And to say Smith isn't much better than Royal is kind of strange being as this is only Royal's 2nd season. Yes I'm impressed by him and love every aspect of his game. But to name his as good as Steve Smith who is one of the best receivers in the game already, is kind of ludicrous.
                            sigpic
                            2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                              bro u really must JakenBake alot...we're running the Spread...Wes Welker is the TRUE #2 WR in the NE offense...but he's in the slot... that's what Royal will be....and to the comment above me??..the Poor man's Smith??? that's rediculous, Smith isn't that much better than royal if any
                              Yes, we all know how good Royal is how great he might become, but one thing at a time. Royal had an impressive rookie season, and now he is just entering his second year. Steve Smith has years and years of domination as a WR, making catches and breaking tackles that leave me speechless.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X