The broncos front seven is garbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    The probelm is that it all starts up-front with the NT. TO be a good 3-4 you need a great NT. And the Broncos simply don't have one. They've got a guy in Ron Fields who's a career backup and is adequate at best.

The other great 3-4 defenses? Take a look at the guys who play NT! Ravens Haloti Ngata, Chargers Jamal Williams, Steelers Casey Hampton, Patriots Vince Wilfork, etc.

Solid players. If suddenly Ron Fields starts channeling Haloti Ngata, I'll become a believer. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Denver should have traded up into the top 10 to draft their NT of the future. Right now they will have to hope Ron Fields is a better fill-in than Sam Adams or DeWayne Robertson or every other stiff they've brought in here the last 3 years.

The Broncos haven't had a pro-bowl DL since Trevor Pryce in 2001.
    Haloti ngata is a DE, the raven's NT is kelly gregg, who was a late round draft choice and essentially, a "scrub" for most of his career.

Also, I don't think its fair to say McBean sucks and always will, he's only 24 and I think this could be his breakout year.

And as for trading up for Raji? Good heavens no, I'm very thankful we didn't make that casostrophic mistake.

If Fields doesn't work out this year we can draft terrance cody or boo robinson. Or, possibly sign vince wilfork

Comment

I guess it is time for the front seven to man up!!
      Wanna play a game?? Check it out at milehighhitman7.webs.com

Comment

I don't think there were too many people to take in the draft to help fix the front 3 this past year. I was hoping for Jarron Gilbert to play DE though. Next year however...If they can get Carlos Dunlap or Vince Oghobaase as DE and then Boo Robinson for NT, they should be pretty well set there. They might even be able to get Lawrence Marsh (if he comes out) or Jared Odrick in the mid rounds to really help solidify it. It might take a couple years to get them to play well in the NFL but that is my solution to improving the front 3.

I still think Thomas will do ok at DE though. Not as confident with NT or the other DE.
        Last edited by broncos SB2010; 08-03-2009, 09:21 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by it'sjustagame View Post
          Im interested to see how Stink's comments will be welcomed here in bronco country. When Jamie Dukes basically says the same thing Dukes is a moron. Does that make Schlereth a moron also. I tend to give credence to ex-nfl players opinions about NFL football teams. Now if i wanted to get opinions of what potato chips are easiest to vacuum up off the couch id call some of the folks that post here for their expertise
          jamie dukes is obsessed with Mcdaniels and the need to lay the blame on him for all of denver's problems compared to mark schlereth critizing the dline is totally different.

since day one of the cutler trade Jamie has said denver will fail because of that trade. in honesty there could be many reasons why denver could fail but he seems to only address the cutler move as the basis of his opinions.
          also the constant name calling of josh on air is childish.
          Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by buckingbronco33 View Post
            Yeah those are good examples that I forgot about in Dallas and Miami. Seems to me that many Bronco fans are just bitter and will always be bitter about Shanahan being let go and Cutler being let go.

As a result, their minds operate like water on a smooth sidewalk. Water will always find that little crack that many dont see.

For me, I know and fully realize the change was needed. I am also looking forward to see what impact the coaching staff has. In particular Nunnely coaching that DL.

Todays news with Ayers and eventually Moreno will make things just that good.
            Mark Schlereth is on record as saying the Broncos front seven is 'garbage'.

I think that is a little harsh.

I think there are some pieces in place.

I think DJ Williams is going to excel in the 3-4. I think Aundra Davis will be a physical force in the middle at stopping the run, and I think Ronald Fields, Carlton Powell and Marcus Thomas will be better than expected on the nose.

When you add BDawk, the Broncos should be better up the middle, and as the cliche' goes, that's how you (re)build a defense: up the middle.

Step one is stopping the run and becoming more stout, which the Broncos have done, as they are much bigger now than in recent years.

Some think Kenny Peterson is a 'backup', but I will take the word of former d-lineman and NFL analyst Tim Ryan that said Peterson played well last year.

Put it this way, I think he is easily comparable to Jacques Cesaire, for example, who is projected to start at the same position for the Chargers.

Peterson is a serviceable player that certainly isn't 'garbage'.

You would think that some Broncos fans, who claim to watch the team and know something about the game could recognize the fact that Peterson played failry well last season.

But alas, some people just don't know as much as they think.

The LDE position remains a major question mark.

Ayers, Dumervil, Reid and Crowder hold the keys to the OLB positions, and are unknowns, so it is a complete assumption to call them 'garbage.' I believe the Broncos have a pretty good O-line, especiallyin pass protection, yet every day you read in camp reports that Crowder in particular is having a good camp and getting to the QB. If that is true, and if Ayers is what we hope he is, the Broncos could be suprisingly good on the outside.

I don't know, maybe it is blind homerism, but I believe the defense is going to be significantly improved, and by this time next year, with another offseason of free agent additions and draft choices, will be much better.

But, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will the Broncos defense, which was a complete disaster area to begin with.

Your just not going to get all the pieces in one offseason, and there just wasn't alot available for d-line personnel in the draft.

What the Broncos are hoping for is just for a player or two to emerge and be counted on for the future. If that happens, they can add a few more pieces in the next two years, and by that time, we could be pretty good.
            Last edited by MindField; 08-04-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
              The probelm is that it all starts up-front with the NT. TO be a good 3-4 you need a great NT. And the Broncos simply don't have one. They've got a guy in Ron Fields who's a career backup and is adequate at best.

The other great 3-4 defenses? Take a look at the guys who play NT! Ravens Haloti Ngata, Chargers Jamal Williams, Steelers Casey Hampton, Patriots Vince Wilfork, etc.

Solid players. If suddenly Ron Fields starts channeling Haloti Ngata, I'll become a believer. But, I'm not holding my breath.

Denver should have traded up into the top 10 to draft their NT of the future. Right now they will have to hope Ron Fields is a better fill-in than Sam Adams or DeWayne Robertson or every other stiff they've brought in here the last 3 years.

The Broncos haven't had a pro-bowl DL since Trevor Pryce in 2001.
              Which is why we should have drafted Ron Brace instead of Alsponso Smith...
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                Which is why we should have drafted Ron Brace instead of Alsponso Smith...
                bears fan here

smith is someone that every bear fan wanted

u might have gotten him a little high but u did good getting him, he will be much better than brace

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
                  Mark Schlereth is on record as saying the Broncos front seven is 'garbage'.

I think that is a little harsh.

I think there are some pieces in place.

I think DJ Williams is going to excel in the 3-4. I think Aundra Davis will be a physical force in the middle at stopping the run, and I think Ronald Fields, Carlton Powell and Marcus Thomas will be better than expected on the nose.
                  From what I've read, Thomas is starting to get some reps at LDE, which might be what we need there. If that's true, then Powell and/or Baker can be used in rotation with Fields, IMHO, and be serviceable. Not all-pro, but like you say downstream, Rome wasn't built in a day.

When you add BDawk, the Broncos should be better up the middle, and as the cliche' goes, that's how you (re)build a defense: up the middle.

Step one is stopping the run and becoming more stout, which the Broncos have done, as they are much bigger now than in recent years.

Some think Kenny Peterson is a 'backup', but I will take the word of former d-lineman and NFL analyst Tim Ryan that said Peterson played well last year.

Put it this way, I think he is easily comparable to Jacques Cesaire, for example, who is projected to start at the same position for the Chargers.

Peterson is a serviceable player that certainly isn't 'garbage'.

You would think that some Broncos fans, who claim to watch the team and know something about the game could recognize the fact that Peterson played failry well last season.

But alas, some people just don't know as much as they think.
                  I still can't figure why the hell Peterson didn't get more starts last year. He outplayed Robinson by 1000%, from what I saw. Talk about 'garbage'. Peterson will be one of those guys who quietly get it done up front this year. Will he start? Don't know. Will he contribute? I can't see how he wouldn't.

The LDE position remains a major question mark.
                  I've gotta hope that between Thomas, Powell, Baker, McBean (eh?), Peterson, Davis, and Pedescleax, there has to be two decent DE that can start and produce. Maybe not excel, but produce.

Ayers, Dumervil, Reid and Crowder hold the keys to the OLB positions, and are unknowns, so it is a complete assumption to call them 'garbage.' I believe the Broncos have a pretty good O-line, especiallyin pass protection, yet every day you read in camp reports that Crowder in particular is having a good camp and getting to the QB. If that is true, and if Ayers is what we hope he is, the Broncos could be suprisingly good on the outside.
                  I'm beginning to believe in these guys on the outside. If Crowder can keep it up on the field, and not just in practice; if Ayers plays in pads like he seemed to be doing in the Spring; if Doom really can come in for rushing situations, and maybe drop into zone effectively, we might surprise. That sounds like a lot of ifs, but I think they're fairly low risk from what I've seen.

I don't know, maybe it is blind homerism, but I believe the defense is going to be significantly improved, and by this time next year, with another offseason of free agent additions and draft choices, will be much better.

But, as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will the Broncos defense, which was a complete disaster area to begin with.

Your just not going to get all the pieces in one offseason, and there just wasn't alot available for d-line personnel in the draft.

What the Broncos are hoping for is just for a player or two to emerge and be counted on for the future. If that happens, they can add a few more pieces in the next two years, and by that time, we could be pretty good.
                  I'd definitely never call you a blind homer, MindField. If you are, I must be head-over-heels with stars in my eyes.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think this year our defence has to show who is good enough and what we need to improve. At the moment am not sold on the DE's. i would like to see us draft big DEs not the guys less then 6'5 and 300. i recommend: Vince Oghobaase, Lawrence Marsh, Jared Odrick, Al Woods, Kade Weston, Kellen Heard.

Comment

Working...
                    X