Broncos change priority from Ayers to Knowshon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/training-camp/

The real pressure point of the first round is coming in the second quarter, with picks 8 through 12 all unsigned to this point. That span includes the player who has been absent from his camp the longest thus far — DE Aaron Maybin has missed the Bills’ first week of practice. It also includes a wide receiver who many believed would go in the top five (Michael Crabtree of the 49ers) and the first running back selected in the draft (Knowshon Moreno of the Broncos).

So there’s a lot of inherent drama given the way those picks came down. And pick No. 14, Saints CB Malcolm Jenkins, is in an interesting position, too. The picks on either side of him already are signed, and the deals were done by CAA, the agency that also represents him. I’m hearing that the Broncos and DE/LB Robert Ayers (pick No. 18) have a gulf they still must bridge, and that some agents wouldn’t surprised if pick No. 19, Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin, is done at some point tonight.

With so many signing and holdouts going on this week, and Brett Favre and Michael Vick in the news, a few things slipped through the cracks. So I got caught up on a few contract details and figured I’d post them now.

Center Alex Mack’s deal with the Browns is worth a maximum of $15 million over five years, with $8.3 million guaranteed, according to sources. Agent Marv Demoff wasn’t afraid to wade in early despite his client being at pick 21, and he received a strong contract regardless. Pick No. 24, Falcons DT Peria Jerry, landed a max of $13.25 million over five years, with $7.55 million guaranteed, according to sources. Chris “Beanie” Wells, at pick No. 31, received $11.8 million max and $6.345 guaranteed over his five-year deal with the Cardinals.

Later in the week, I’ll break down some of these deals in detail — on the blog and NFL Total Access -- as to what part is comprised of inflated filler and which have some potentially rich meat tucked away in escalators and bonuses that aren’t included as guaranteed money but are easily within reach should the rookie develop.

I’ll be bopping around the camps as well, and I’m very pumped. I’m starting right down the road with the Ravens and Redskins, hitting Cleveland on Wednesday and then working the rest of the week from Canton, Ohio, where Hall of Fame festivities will take place.
    and more

Someone please... Do something!! Bring the kids to camp!!!
    sigpic

Comment

I'm convinced it's the agents causing this stuff. Think about it, the more money their clients get, the bigger their commission is, so there trying to squeeze in an extra couple mill for their clients so they can get a couple extra hundred thousand. I read former Panther's DT Jason Peter's book and he talks about this. He was like the 11th or 17th pick and when training camp came along his agent hadn't got the deal done and he started freaking out because the media was portraying him as a hold out and his agent just kept telling him "its just the business don't worry about it, these things take time. Besides, by the time the season gets underway no one will remember you missing training camp." He ended up missing all of camp even though all he wanted to do was get out there, all because his agent and the FO were taking forever coming to an agreement.

Comment

u don't like Shefter because he blew the Cutler thing up... and this all comes from the pats...they never guarentee alot of money but people still sign because they want to play for 'em...that's not gonna happen here right now..but i agree this rookies are greedy

Comment

Didn't I read somewhere that the same agency that represents Heyward-Bey and negotiated that ridiculous contract with the undead also represents one of our 1st rounders? How much is that playing into this crap?
          sigpic

Comment

this is something that the people in denver get themselves into, with all the cutler, marshall and mcD drama, agents know they have leverage to preassure the FO because Xanders probably cannot afford another drama, so they are asking something "raider-like" just because they know, pressure is in the FO side
            sigpicI am from BRONCOLOMBIA

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
              This is really getting ridiculous.

Xanders and McDaniels' inexperience and "n00bness" is showing
              Xanders is no 'n00b.' He did this in Atlanta for 14 years. I think he knows what he's doing.

But this many guys being unsigned at this point is not exclusive to the Broncos. It's league wide. People need to calm down a bit and stop blaming everything on the new regime.

It's just plain silly to think that because Xanders is 'new' to the Broncos, that he must not know what he's doing, or that we're the only ones having this trouble.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                Xanders is no 'n00b.' He did this in Atlanta for 14 years. I think he knows what he's doing.

But this many guys being unsigned at this point is not exclusive to the Broncos. It's league wide. People need to calm down a bit and stop blaming everything on the new regime.

It's just plain silly to think that because Xanders is 'new' to the Broncos, that he must not know what he's doing, or that we're the only ones having this trouble.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, folks.
                I agree. There are a lot of unsigned players, not just with the Broncos. It seems like more because, well, we have 2 first round picks.

If the Broncos are closer to signing Moreno than Ayers...then sign Mareno first.

Maybe the 2nd first round pick will feel more pressure to get on the field when the 1st gets there.

But to blame the FO for a league wide problem...I dont agree with that.
                sigpic
                Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                -Sean Payton

Comment

Working...
                X