Alphonso Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphonso Smith

Reading McDaniels' language, it's tough to say whether or not he likes the kid. If he likes a guy he'll sometimes say that he's "really good at a lot of things and he will be a big part of our offense/defense". What he's said about Smith is (and I'm paraphrasing): "he's made a lot of rookie mistakes...spent a lot of time here in the summer...starting to make some plays on the ball".

Dawkins also said that he made a lot of mistakes, but you can see that he has some ability.

Are these sorts of statements just sort of to be expected for any rookie, or can we read anything (at all) into them?
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

I think, and I'm no coach, but he doesn't want to give him too much praise. I think he's saying that to let him know that he still has a long way to go before he's a legit player. He may be trying to make him work harder, so Smith will want to prove the coach wrong.

"starting to make some plays on the ball" is about all the praise he is going to hear. And any praise is good.

I wouldn't look too deep into this. He's just trying to push him harder.
    Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

Team Tebow #16

Comment

Originally posted by DenverSpark View Post
      I think, and I'm no coach, but he doesn't want to give him too much praise. I think he's saying that to let him know that he still has a long way to go before he's a legit player. He may be trying to make him work harder, so Smith will want to prove the coach wrong.

"starting to make some plays on the ball" is about all the praise he is going to hear. And any praise is good.

I wouldn't look too deep into this. He's just trying to push him harder.
      +1 Don't read too much into what McDaniels says. The coaches will be doing some phycological coaching this year, you can be assured. Everyone needs just the right form and amount of motivation.

He's a rookie, but he's made some pretty damned nice plays, by the accounts I've read.

Edit: I just found the source of your quotes. I think you cherry-picked a bit, with all due respect. Here's the block:

Smith's collegiate success has been well-documented -- an ACC-best 21 career interceptions, four returned for touchdowns, five blocked punts and numerous All-America honors. But now he's no longer the big man on campus. He's a rookie at Dove Valley, and McDaniels said Smith has made some typical rookie mistakes.

"But he is also making some plays on the ball," he said. "He is fixing things. He was here quite a little bit in the summer, and that is quite a credit to him."

"He is competing every day, he is working on the little things and he has definitely showed up," McDaniels continued. "He is around the ball -- he made an interception today and got his hands on a few balls the last couple days. He had a lot of ball production coming out (of college). That is one of the things that we really liked about him, and it is starting to show its face here in training camp."
      Sounds to me like Coach is praising his learning ability and his natural physical talents, while tempering it with the fact that he's still a rookie and has made rookie mistakes. I think that the staff thinks they've got a potential future starter, and are happy with his progress. It doesn't hurt that he's got damned solid veteran starters to take most of the heat and show him the ropes.
      Last edited by Broncos Bassist; 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM. Reason: Added block quote and commentary.
      sigpic

Comment

Smith was a ballhawk in college, which means he was a successful risk-taker. New game, new speed, he's probably getting burned a bit now taking the same risks. He'll learn when to pick his spots. I assume that he's in a lot of zone coverages in camp, because he's not up on the depth chart yet... and he's used to playing man-up on the outside at Wake. The guy's got great instincts, so I'm sure he'll learn quickly.
        Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
          Smith was a ballhawk in college, which means he was a successful risk-taker. New game, new speed, he's probably getting burned a bit now taking the same risks. He'll learn when to pick his spots. I assume that he's in a lot of zone coverages in camp, because he's not up on the depth chart yet... and he's used to playing man-up on the outside at Wake. The guy's got great instincts, so I'm sure he'll learn quickly.
          That's exactly what I was thinking. It seems to be the signature of gambling DBs. Like with risk-taking QBs, there is an inflection point after which they make more plays than risks. I'm expecting the same transition with Smith. It won't be long before he cuts out the mistakes and starts guessing correctly more often.
          Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

He liked him enough to trade a 1st round pick for him (a probable top 10 pick if you ask me).

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
              He liked him enough to trade a 1st round pick for him (a probable top 10 pick if you ask me).
              Remember, 2nd round picks are more valuable than 1st rounders to EVERY GM in the league. It's the best talent for your dollar. Always. So don't worry that we traded a 1st to get a 2nd. 2nd round picks are better for building a team.
              Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
                Reading McDaniels' language, it's tough to say whether or not he likes the kid. If he likes a guy he'll sometimes say that he's "really good at a lot of things and he will be a big part of our offense/defense". What he's said about Smith is (and I'm paraphrasing): "he's made a lot of rookie mistakes...spent a lot of time here in the summer...starting to make some plays on the ball".

Dawkins also said that he made a lot of mistakes, but you can see that he has some ability.

Are these sorts of statements just sort of to be expected for any rookie, or can we read anything (at all) into them?

PLAYMAKING POTENTIAL

When the Broncos selected Alphonso Smith in the second round of this year's draft, they knew they were getting a playmaker.

Smith's collegiate success has been well-documented -- an ACC-best 21 career interceptions, four returned for touchdowns, five blocked punts and numerous All-America honors. But now he's no longer the big man on campus. He's a rookie at Dove Valley, and McDaniels said Smith has made some typical rookie mistakes.

"But he is also making some plays on the ball," he said. "He is fixing things. He was here quite a little bit in the summer, and that is quite a credit to him."

"He is competing every day, he is working on the little things and he has definitely showed up," McDaniels continued. "He is around the ball -- he made an interception today and got his hands on a few balls the last couple days. He had a lot of ball production coming out (of college). That is one of the things that we really liked about him, and it is starting to show its face here in training camp."

Brian Dawkins has noticed some of those flashes. But the veteran safety said the rookie has a ways to go.

"He definitely has some learning to do, but you can see the playmaking potential that he has," he said. "It's all about him learning his role, learning the scheme and understanding 100 percent what he has to do so he can let his athletic ability shine through."
                Go Broncos!!!

Comment

I don't think McDaniels is going to give Smith gushing praise until Smith locks down the nickelback position and does it convincingly. Right now, as I understand it, he and Jack Williams are pretty close. That's not going to inspire a whole lot of praise from a coach who took a pretty big risk in selecting the guy by trading a future first round pick for a 2nd round pick.

Let's just be happy that Smith is apparently learning from his mistakes and making progress. He showed enough potential in college to warrant being drafted. He is apparently doing well in training camp. There's not a whole lot more we could ask for from him at this point.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos Bassist View Post
                    Edit: I just found the source of your quotes. I think you cherry-picked a bit, with all due respect. Here's the block:

Sounds to me like Coach is praising his learning ability and his natural physical talents, while tempering it with the fact that he's still a rookie and has made rookie mistakes. I think that the staff thinks they've got a potential future starter, and are happy with his progress. It doesn't hurt that he's got damned solid veteran starters to take most of the heat and show him the ropes.
                    I did cherry-pick. But my paraphrases were more about tone than content. It's not as though McDaniels said "I really like the kid. He's doing some great stuff...just needs to work on the mistakes". Instead one could read it as: "He's making a lot of mistakes, but really trying hard and showing some improvement". You'll never see coaches or players say only negative stuff about other players, even guys who are about to get cut. So saying he's "around the ball" doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies. Compare it to what McDaniels says about other players and you'll see what I mean (hopefully).

You can tell that he has been impressed with Hillis, Stokley, Scheffler, and Orton for example. But Smith just now started making plays. If it's the rookie thing, we'll just have to see if his tone is any different about the other rookies. I think it's safe to say that if Smith was impressing off the bat, McDaniels would mention how impressed he was.
                    Last edited by Lomax; 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      I don't think McDaniels is going to give Smith gushing praise until Smith locks down the nickelback position and does it convincingly. Right now, as I understand it, he and Jack Williams are pretty close. That's not going to inspire a whole lot of praise from a coach who took a pretty big risk in selecting the guy by trading a future first round pick for a 2nd round pick.

Let's just be happy that Smith is apparently learning from his mistakes and making progress. He showed enough potential in college to warrant being drafted. He is apparently doing well in training camp. There's not a whole lot more we could ask for from him at this point.
                      Yeah I mean, getting scouted as a 1st round talent, I think the expectation would be that you can win a starting spot in your rookie year, unless you're a QB. If he can't beat out Jack Williams by September, one has to say that he would be a disappointment, even if Jack is vastly improved over last year.

sigpic

Comment

It'll be a few years before we can really assess the decisions from the front office this off season.

Comment

Remember, 2nd round picks are more valuable than 1st rounders to EVERY GM in the league. It's the best talent for your dollar. Always. So don't worry that we traded a 1st to get a 2nd. 2nd round picks are better for building a team.
                          We traded one for one. Look at what the Jets gave up for the # 5 pick this year. The smart ones like Parcells and Bellichick keep trading down getting more picks. Trading down would be easier in a strong draft class like the 2010 class is reported to be. Our "genius" front office decided to eschew the potential of more draft picks to trade 1 for 1. P. T. Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute". Thank our lucky stars for the Dove Valley Circus
                          Last edited by it'sjustagame; 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM.
                          My friends over at Sports Radio Interviews sent me a link to an interview Pat Bowlen did with a Chicago-area radio station. While there is nothing earth-shattering here. Below is a segment of the transcript -

What are the Bears getting in Jay Cutler?

“They’re getting an extremely talented young quarterback.”

Some one Please name me the last successful NFL QB that had to be taught how to throw the ball correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post

He better like him, and like him a lot since that pick is now a guaranteed Top 5.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

Wow, that is just a retarded statement, no offense. but you should never trade a 1st away straight up for a 2nd. we could have and should have gotten alot more for that, considering it could be a top 5 pick and we could use it to go get the best qb in the draft next year since we will need one
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X