Alphonso Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncobuss View Post
    Wow, that is just a retarded statement, no offense. but you should never trade a 1st away straight up for a 2nd. we could have and should have gotten alot more for that, considering it could be a top 5 pick and we could use it to go get the best qb in the draft next year since we will need one
    I, for one, don't have an issue with the trade, if Smith really is worthy of first round consideration. And I didn't start the thread to bash on his chances, but I would like to know if he's impressing or struggling in comparison to expectations (which, needless to say, are pretty high).

Giving up our pick and not the Bears pick in that trade is pretty logical. It's a sign of good faith. Like going for it on 4th and inches at the goalline. If you kick a FG there, you're saying to your offense, "I really just don't have that much faith in you guys, or myself, to move the ball a few inches".

Negotiating the Bears pick is basically conceding that they're better than us, which is not the best way to show confidence in your team's ability, or yours as a coach.
    "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post
      I, for one, don't have an issue with the trade, if Smith really is worthy of first round consideration. And I didn't start the thread to bash on his chances, but I would like to know if he's impressing or struggling in comparison to expectations (which, needless to say, are pretty high).

Giving up our pick and not the Bears pick in that trade is pretty logical. It's a sign of good faith. Like going for it on 4th and inches at the goalline. If you kick a FG there, you're saying to your offense, "I really just don't have that much faith in you guys, or myself, to move the ball a few inches".

Negotiating the Bears pick is basically conceding that they're better than us, which is not the best way to show confidence in your team's ability, or yours as a coach.
      Couldnt have said it any better myself! CP's to you!

In addition, I'm sure that Pat Bowlen has no desire to pay 2 more 1st round picks next year after having to do it this year. Plus who wants to see 2 more holdouts next year like we are now! If Smith has the talent then why would we care if we got him in the 2nd round this year! He is going to learn from the best in the game and will have more time to earn a position on this team! As far as the Broncos giving up their pick and not the Bears, who cares!!! I'm worried about week 1 not the 2010 draft! Have faith Broncos fans! I think you may be in for a surprise this season!!! :go:
      sigpic

Comment

Wow, that is just a retarded statement, no offense. but you should never trade a 1st away straight up for a 2nd. we could have and should have gotten alot more for that, considering it could be a top 5 pick and we could use it to go get the best qb in the draft next year since we will need one
        Actually, it's a very logical statement. 2nd round picks give you so much more value, just about every GM covets them more. For the amount of money you have to pay a top 10 (even top 20) pick, you can pay a 2nd rounder and a solid free agent.

That said, it is rarely done that you trade a 2nd straight up for a 1st, but if you want a specific guy in this draft, and you have an extra 1st rounder down the road, you're actually coming out on top in the deal when you factor salary into it... even if it is an unconventional way to do it.
        Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Lomax View Post

Didn't Carolina trade their 1st rounder to get 2nd round DE Everette Brown? Why aren't they getting torched in the media?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
            Didn't Carolina trade their 1st rounder to get 2nd round DE Everette Brown? Why aren't they getting torched in the media?
            Because right or wrong, it is perceived the Panthers pick will be between 25-32. And the Broncos pick will be in the top ten . I'm not saying that is how it will be but that is how it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
              Actually, it's a very logical statement. 2nd round picks give you so much more value, just about every GM covets them more. For the amount of money you have to pay a top 10 (even top 20) pick, you can pay a 2nd rounder and a solid free agent.

That said, it is rarely done that you trade a 2nd straight up for a 1st, but if you want a specific guy in this draft, and you have an extra 1st rounder down the road, you're actually coming out on top in the deal when you factor salary into it... even if it is an unconventional way to do it.
              I understand what you are saying, that its easier to sign a 2nd rounder and you might not want 2 1st rounders next year with the cost. but heres the thing, you get to next years draft with 2 1st rounders doesnt mean you have to keep them. you could trade down with one of them and get a bunch of later picks not just one.

2nd, if you have 2 1st rounders, and you see a guy that you think is a must have type of guy, that is going to go higher than you are at, you now have the amunition to go up and get him.

And just think of it like this, what if in this draft that just happened, that instead of taking robert ayers with the 18th pick, we would have instead of traded it for the 40th pick in the draft, straight up.... How bad would you been yelling at mcdaniels for that trade? so whats the differance if its the next year? I dont think there is and I think if you are going to trade like that you better get more picks out of it than that.
              Last edited by broncobuss; 08-03-2009, 04:37 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

It's all guesswork ...

... until he plays a real (not preseason) game.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

to be honest, I'm startin to hate having an early 1st round pick...the rookies demand SO MUCH cash in the first 15...and let's be real, how many of them turn out to be great...there's alot of great players late in the first and the rest of the draft...

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    ... until he plays a real (not preseason) game.
                    :brick:

:doh:
                    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I understand what you are saying, that its easier to sign a 2nd rounder and you might not want 2 1st rounders next year with the cost. but heres the thing, you get to next years draft with 2 1st rounders doesnt mean you have to keep them. you could trade down with one of them and get a bunch of later picks not just one.

2nd, if you have 2 1st rounders, and you see a guy that you think is a must have type of guy, that is going to go higher than you are at, you now have the amunition to go up and get him.

And just think of it like this, what if in this draft that just happened, that instead of taking robert ayers with the 18th pick, we would have instead of traded it for the 40th pick in the draft, straight up.... How bad would you been yelling at mcdaniels for that trade? so whats the differance if its the next year? I dont think there is and I think if you are going to trade like that you better get more picks out of it than that.
                      I understand you want to save the extra 1st for next year as a bargaining chip... but if McD really wanted Alphonso Smith, then there's no point in waiting until next year to do the same thing (trade down) for a guy you might not be as high on.

Comment

Put it this way: unless you are getting a surefire All Pro (and there are only like 4-5 every draft), you're better off trading every 1st round pick you have for a 2nd rounder. Let's just say that every 1st round pick is a better player than the corresponding 2nd rounder (hypothetically), you can still get 80% of the production for 30-40% of the price. That's worth it in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradshaw3001 View Post
                          I understand you want to save the extra 1st for next year as a bargaining chip... but if McD really wanted Alphonso Smith, then there's no point in waiting until next year to do the same thing (trade down) for a guy you might not be as high on.
                          If alphonso smith was so great, he would have been a 1st rounder......Point being, I dont mind getting smith, or trading to get him, but you got to know what your doing when trading, you can still get him in the 2nd round, but you need to get proper picks back in return...

My whole thing with that trade is that I dont think you can say "well its next years pick", its still a 1 st rounder for a 2nd rounder straight up.... get the value back in return, at least get a couple more picks on top of it...
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X