Fans' Behavior at Games vs Players' Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans' Behavior at Games vs Players' Behavior

I want to know how people on here feel about this subject. I was watching ESPN and saw that high(low)light of the Texas Ranger player throwing a chair in the stands and breaking that lady's nose. I then heard the comments made by the man to some reporters at his home while he was on his way to work. And here is what I think...
    Fans need to calm the (explecitive) down. Why do some people feel that they can harass people just because they wear a jersey, uniform, etc.? I mean, I definitely feel sorry for the lady who got her nose broken, but if I was her, I would be pissed at my spouse for contributing to my broken nose. If her husband would have just kept his damn mouth shut, the TR player wouldn't have threw the chair into the stands. I agree that the player should be fined/suspended for his actions, but they should also ban that lady's husband from the stadium from now on as well. Some of the ex-players made a good point in saying that the fans would never say the same negative things to the players faces if they met in the street or at McDonalds or something like that. It is to the point that some fans feel that by purchasing a ticket to a game gives them the right to act like a total jackass. Maybe they should make a rule that says if a fan states something personal about a player, the player then has the right to climb into the stands and either a) receive an apology from the scared crapless fan, or b) one free punch in the nads or face. That would be a real highlight. Anyways, what do ya'll think? Do fans have the right to talk smack to every player they want with no fear of retribution, or should the above propsal be accepted by all leagues?
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

I guess my topic doesn't deserve an answer. At least some of you read it, so thanks.

Comment

good subject. i think the fan who works all week,pays his/her hard earned to buy a season ticket is entitled to a verbal opinion,wether it's positive or negative the players have to accept that they are being paid a fortune in wages, and it comes with the territory of playing in the public eye.

harsh as it may be,that some comments are not always gonna be on the good side from fans,but we work all week an need to let off our own steam,for some people matchday is an outlet an escape from the stress and pressures of life.the players have to accept it ,and just jog on.......

Comment

Originally posted by londonbronco
        good subject. i think the fan who works all week,pays his/her hard earned to buy a season ticket is entitled to a verbal opinion,wether it's positive or negative the players have to accept that they are being paid a fortune in wages, and it comes with the territory of playing in the public eye.

harsh as it may be,that some comments are not always gonna be on the good side from fans,but we work all week an need to let off our own steam,for some people matchday is an outlet an escape from the stress and pressures of life.the players have to accept it ,and just jog on.......
        I think that it is a fan's right to criticise his team, with all due respect, but if that guy in the stands had sad what he said to some stranger in the street, he would have become part of the sidewalk.

I don't blame the player at all, but you shouldn't be able to be provoked into that kind of situation.

I can't believe that Oakland's management says that the fan was no way in the wrong, and the player just lost it. This isn't the first time something like this has happened because of a intolerable fan.

Not to mention the fact that the Rangers dugout had ALREADY contacted security about the guy earlier in the game. The guy should have been removed a long time before any of that mess happened, so I actually blame the Oakland organization, and the entire area around Oakland for being so ghetto.

Comment

the "one free punch " for the player made me laugh, could you imagine time out on the field as warren sapp climbs up to row d seat no 32 to give mr mouth piece , whose just abused him a right hander, cut to a scene then of the fan on the cart being driven off down the tunnel to the treatment area, all this on the giant screen while the crowd cheer in the background......

Comment

now there is a response....
            Yea we work all week and players do get paid a fortune, but still where does the being asnine stop. If you have to release stress, exercise(punching bags are good), but don't take it out on others. Part of being an adult is having self control. Anyways, thanks for a response.

Comment

Heckling other players is completely normal and fine. It's been going on for millenia. I remember one game the Bronco-fans were throwing snowballs at the Raiders and a member of their team went after a person who'd hit him in the face. That's not good. Professional, note that word, players are paid to play the game; rowdy fans or not. Now if it is something blatant as someone taking a piece of crap and throwing it at you, then yes the player has a right to get pissed off. Words, however, no.

Remember the old saying: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" ? That should definitely ring true when you're being payed thousands and millions to play the game you love.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
              - Carl Sagan

Comment

Diesel - have you ever met Stan the Joke man form Khits - he lives in Henryetta

Anyways from what ive heard since this started is that the fan made a comment like which of you will blow this game - and the pitcher said something about the guys wife - so IMO the pitcher was wrong, way wrong - had the fan said something about the players family the shoe then goes on the other foot - fans CAN go overboard - and some of them deserve to get their ass kicked - they only say shyt cause they know they are protected - if they dont have the balls to say it on the street to the guys face they shouldnt be allowed to say it in the stands -

The chair throwing was unacceptable under ANY circumstance - there is NO excuse and I hope he pays out the ass for it - in fact that ladies husb/father/brother/son should be allowed some time alone with that guy - he deserves a good ass whoopin for that

Comment

at the end of the day it's the level of abuse, if aimed at race religion etc (in england any of this abuse and you are thrown out of the stadium) personal stuff, then this isn't tolerable.

but is it tolerable to let the sports stars of today to climb into the fans and have a free punch. wouldn't this sort of behaviour spark a mini riot??

Comment

wouldn't this sort of behaviour spark a mini riot??
                    Yea it probably would. But like you said I would love to see some of these fans face off with lets say, Ray Lewis or Roy Williams. I would be laughing my ass off. You think that Lynch hit on Hall was good, I would love to hear Irvin, Jackson, Berman, and the others say as the highlight rolls with Ray Ray giving an elbow to some drunk's face..."He got JACKED UP!"

Comment

as a Bronco fan I can say that we fans of the orange and blue are QUICK to boo our team when they screw up.

Players get paid alot of money...they should get booed when they royaly screw up. Sports stars make too much money to jump into the stands and punch a fan.

The problem is players forgot a long time ago that the game is about the fans, not their ego.

Comment

diesel,

it would probably more entertaining to embarass the abusive fan, by letting someone like sapp climb into the crowd and shove an ice cream on fans head(like the gene wilder richard pryor movie can't remember what film) and then flash the incident up on the big screen during every time-out,not only would the fan be quiet but he'd probably be home by the end of the 3rd quarter.

this would also prevent any drunks or abusive fans, from acting in the same manner..

would add a bit of extra entertainment to the day,

Comment

"He Got JACKED UP!!!"

Comment

The Fans have a right to attend sporting events and with that right yes i think they are allowed to do some reasonable heckling.Shouting at the players is not exactly uncommon i hear it almost every time i watch a baseball or football game. Its knowing what is going to far and where to draw the line. For example in the chair incident i do believe the fan said something about franciscos mother dying or something in that area. That is just uncalled for. Freedom of speach does allow heckling but not to that magnitude.

The players know they are going to get heckled its just part of the game. They need to (and most do) know to just let it slide and ignore the fans. Now this is a serious incident but most incidents like these get blown out of proportion. Its not like it happens 3 times a month it happens maybe twice a year if that. If the fan and player learn and respect the boundries of each other that it will be fine.

Comment

I believe that fans should be fans. That does NOT include hurling explicatives at the opposing team or their fans.

I agree the reaction was extreme and should entail a criminal investigation. On the other hand, however, I am certain that home teams should control their crowds.

I still remember the Jags having to wear helmets leaving a Cleveland game because or thrown bottles, many still full. There is no reason for that. Several fans were injured, one or two severely, by the actions of other fans.

There is no reason for that, nor is there any reason for itimidating and threatining another tam's fan.

Remember, this is supposed to be a game. Despite the military alliterations used to desribe a game, i.e., "the bullets are flying", "the war in the trenches". "he's a warrior," etc., this is only a game.

Ask the military in Afghanistan and Iraq. They'll tell you.

Comment

Working...
                              X