Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jrhampton
    Let me jump in here for a moment.

Someone mentioned free speech. Unless the moron jumped up and yelled fire in the stadium, he is pretty much free to say what ever he wants. Racially, about his mother, ugly sister, he is pretty much fair game.

Now if the fan get up and threatens him that becomes assault in most cities. But to call him a moron without an arm that is
    another.

If the pampered overpaid athlete can not handle the verbal pressure, he should probably look into another profession , say mortician where no one talks back.
    ]

Ture, but when a security officer is grabbing you around your neck, and I can only assume telling you to calm down or shut up or otherwise trying to forcibly remove you from the situation, don't you think that you have some responsibility to say to yourself "Man, I stepped over the line too." I think so. I think in a civil case (not criminal) that anything he asks for will adversely affected because that will come into play.

I also think that his belief that its the entire organizations & MLB's fault (rather than one man) that his wife got a chair thrown at her is asinine. How is he going to prove that?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
      Ture, but when a security officer is grabbing you around your neck, and I can only assume telling you to calm down or shut up or otherwise trying to forcibly remove you from the situation, don't you think that you have some responsibility to say to yourself "Man, I stepped over the line too." I think so. I think in a civil case (not criminal) that anything he asks for will adversely affected because that will come into play.

I also think that his belief that its the entire organizations & MLB's fault (rather than one man) that his wife got a chair thrown at her is asinine. How is he going to prove that?
      I did not see the situation so not sure about the security guards role in it. If someone in authority tells you to sit down or be thrown out, I think that is the time to start getting names of those around you.

Unless he broke a law of somesort and knowing about CA's PC police, that just might be possible. I would think that you as a fan would have a good lawsuit if they denied you freedom of speech.

Again harassing someone verbally calling their Mom name does not jusitfy being thrown out. Threatening the guy physically does.

Now there is always the good taste folks, profane language should not be allowed, but it if the pansy ball player can't handle some name calling he is the wrong profession.

Comment

The fact of the matter is, some fans don't know where to draw the line, so it takes a chair for them to realize it.

Yep.
        D-BLOCK!

That's what it is!

Comment

I did not see the situation so not sure about the security guards role in it. If someone in authority tells you to sit down or be thrown out, I think that is the time to start getting names of those around you.

Unless he broke a law of somesort and knowing about CA's PC police, that just might be possible. I would think that you as a fan would have a good lawsuit if they denied you freedom of speech.

Again harassing someone verbally calling their Mom name does not jusitfy being thrown out. Threatening the guy physically does.

Now there is always the good taste folks, profane language should not be allowed, but it if the pansy ball player can't handle some name calling he is the wrong profession.
          Well, again, I agree with your last sentence, but most stadiums have patron guidelines. And they are usually just there to protect peoplr from situations just like this. And it's usually not the foul language, but teams generally try to eject fans who they receive numerous complaints about. That's just common practice.

So my point is after some of the bullpen players came over, in the clip I saw, the guy got up and starting yelling back. OK. Fine. Security comes over to the players & the dude. I don't know what is being said, but a guy in black security jacket is physically restraining one of the Texas players as more of them come over. And a security/usher guy in green jacket is trying to put the choker hold on the guy, and he is STILL screaming. My point is not that he started it, but at that exact point in time, he lost any credibility about having no fault, because clearly, he does. Now the chair thing, yes, that was uncalled for, but I maintain that maybe, just maybe, if he had listened to the usher, his wife wouldn't have gotten hit. That's speculative, I know, but at the same time, it's a pretty strong correlation. He SHOULD sue the guy, but not the Rangers. Certainly not MLB. And quite frankly, heckling should be allowed, but when people start leaving their seats, they are disturbance. I mean, if I go and pay whatever it costs to go see the A's, this guy's right to heckle is more important? We paid the same amount for a ticket.

Quite frankly, if that was me, and that happened to my wife, she'd probably kick me out of the house for being an ***hole and not walking away.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime
            The fact of the matter is, some fans don't know where to draw the line, so it takes a chair for them to realize it.

Yep.
            yep your location says it all
            Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Like its been said before, heckling has been going on for millenia. I'm sure the Spartans were talking mad trash to the Athenians at the original Olympics. Its all a part of the game, and must be delt with. Thats what makes the whole part about being on the road so difficult; different environment, different cilmate, different fans. The egos must be kept in check; you can't be royalty everywhere you go.
              Like Kirk said after the big Klingon brawl, "Who threw the first punch?" Ultimately, this is America, where freedom of speech exists. If the fan didnt touch the athlete, then they're clear in my opinion. There are no rules for what you can and can't say (well except for "Fire" in a theatre etc) and no such code of conduct at a game. But, like that CoC thread here on the board (just read it since I'm new) the fans will conduct themselves as a reflection of their beloved team. Come on, its the Fader Nation out there, with the fans reflecting the team; we've all seen it. If the A's want to be reflected as having fans with a worse mouth than John Rocker talking about NY, then so be it. Other fans can show that they have class and pride in their teams.
              I'm not saying the lady is an angel, I think its pathetic how she's pulling the sob "OMG I was so scared" story when a min before she was swearing enough to make marines cry. I think its funny what happened but ultimately, the player was wrong in my book. Role model debates aside, who threw the first punch?

Rock on Broncos, and dang let this noob say some of your sig's are awesome; I'm blown away.
              ~-_UτÖpíÆ P£ÆnÉτíÆ_-~

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
                yep your location says it all
                Yep.

Don't mess with us and we won't mess with you.
                D-BLOCK!

That's what it is!

Comment

Your the opponent so when you come into someone's Stadium or Arena it's you and your team against the other team and their Fans. You should expect that the Fans are gonna try to get rowdy and make you feel unwelcome as best as possible. Players shouldn't take anything Fans say to heart. Players should have more control over themselves because Fans are always trying to find ways to lose your cool to get you to play bad or get you kicked out of a game and suspended.

Comment

Quite frankly, if that was me, and that happened to my wife, she'd probably kick me out of the house for being an ***hole and not walking away.
                    Seems to be a female trait!

Comment

Interesting subject.... but I have a totally different question...... if some of you would be so kind as to fill me in on which side of the stadium faces the sun. I have been a die hard bronco fan all my life and I'm finally going to get to be in denver to watch a game but I don't want to buy a seat where I'll be looking into the sun. Yeah, what a wuss, I know.... but if you could help me out with some info, I'd really appreciate that. In relation to the 'open' end of the horseshoe, where would you recommend I look for available seats?

thanks, again.....

oh, and as far as the question of what 'rights' do fans have.... well, I think that just because you buy a ticket to a sporting event, that doesn't give you the 'right' to turn into an a-hole. It's not only annoying to the players, but it's even more annoying to other fans who may not want to listen to that sort of crap.

Comment

i wonder how much of this fan abuse is alcohol related.not ever being to a sporting event in the states, i can't relate or compare on what the procedures are for drinking. in england the bar shuts 15 mins before k.off, is re-opened at half time for a further 15 mins, then is closed for the day.

bearing in mind,english football(soccer), consists of 2 45 min halves. the whole event being half the time american football lasts.

is the bar open permanently throughout the game in the mile high.the course of the game will last on average, 3 hours( at a guess going on tv experience), plenty of time really for getting drunk, or getting halfway there, do a lot off people get ejected from games for drunken behaviour??

if so take the source of the problem away(alcohol) and you cut down on the few idiots who ruin peoples days.

english football games,became a no-go zone a few years back,the bar being open all day,pay at the entrance to get in, standing areas,where fans were packed in like cattle made for a very hostile atmosphere. for instance a game of intense rivalry i.e broncos v raiders would be bought forward to a morning k.off, to cut down on the number of drunks, an to make the atmosphere a lot less hostile.

on the whole sport in the states has been more civilised,and more of an event than in england. but if you can get alcohol in the stadium, in the long run it will lead to problems...

lb

Comment

I went to baltimore and cinci as a bronco fan and was treated just as I expected to be treated......poorly.........If I was making millions of dollars I would sit my happy ass right there and laugh at what they are saying then return to my high soceity life after the game.....The player had NO right No right No right to do what he did.......
                          Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Seems to be a female trait!
                            And she'd be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
                              I went to baltimore and cinci as a bronco fan and was treated just as I expected to be treated......poorly.........If I was making millions of dollars I would sit my happy ass right there and laugh at what they are saying then return to my high soceity life after the game.....The player had NO right No right No right to do what he did.......
                              I am not saying the player had a right to do it. He didn't.

I am saying that if this guy sues MLB and the whole Rangers organization, instead of JUST Francisco, then I hope the case gets thrown out. I cannot see what he can claim? Negligence? No, this has never happened before, so its not a known condition or cause and effect thing that could have been corrected. And it was in Oakland, so it would be their responsibility if it was neglect. Pain & suffering, yes. But 1 person brought that, not the whole team. Certainly not MLB.

I alos hopes that if he asks for a ridiculous amount, the judge says "um...no, you have some responsibility to your wife here too, buddy. You should have stopped when you were told to."

Comment

I am not saying the player had a right to do it. He didn't.

I am saying that if this guy sues MLB and the whole Rangers organization, instead of JUST Francisco, then I hope the case gets thrown out. I cannot see what he can claim? Negligence? No, this has never happened before, so its not a known condition or cause and effect thing that could have been corrected. And it was in Oakland, so it would be their responsibility if it was neglect. Pain & suffering, yes. But 1 person brought that, not the whole team. Certainly not MLB.

I alos hopes that if he asks for a ridiculous amount, the judge says "um...no, you have some responsibility to your wife here too, buddy. You should have stopped when you were told to."
                                Everyone has a duty to mitigate their damages - even if they dont, when it comes time for the $$$, what should have been mitigated is factored in -

Only problem I forsee is if this ends up being a civil jury trial - I have NO faith in jurors anymore - they will screw MLB, the Rangers and the pitcher, given the opportunity

Comment

Working...
                                X