Ryan Clady fined $5000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Clady fined $5000

For the second time in two preseason games, the Broncos did not escape without getting a player fined.

Left tackle Ryan Clady was fined $5,000 by the NFL for a clipping penalty on a 30-yard run by Peyton Hillis in last Saturday's loss to the Seahawks. The league said Clady was fined for hitting a defender from behind,

sigpic

It is interesting that this is happening. Will the Players' Union begin to argue that players should then be eligible for some of their pay during preseason if they are eligible to be fined? Will players refuse to play in the preseason for fear of fines while playing?

I believe Clady is guilty of a what would be called a new penalty. That is it would not have been a penalty last year. I think most who saw it would not call it an itentional act, but rather something that happened out of reaction to a play. This is one of those catch 22 situations.

Comment

trade him he is clearly of low moral character lets cut our losses and get what we can now.
      if man is 5 and jay cutler is 6 then that must make john elway 7

Comment

Bust. Cut him.
        This space for rent

Comment

Best part about that "cut block" was that he fell. It hardly looked intentional.

Comment

anyone got a link to a video of this "clipping"?
            I would like to see.

Comment

the fact that they get fined at all disgusts me. i thought that's what penalties during the game were for, to punish the team/player committing the offense?

then they come in and get away with double-jeopardy by fining a player.

not only does the team lose 10-15 yards, the player gets punished again by owing the league money for something the team already got backlash for in-game.

a penalty can cost a team a game. it shouldn't cost the player income.
              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Damn. I was hoping the team fined him for punching out Marshall. Wishful thinking.
                Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire
                Leaning out to catch the sun's rays. A lesson to be applied.
                Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?
                -
                Pearl Jam

Comment

i still dont see why players are getting penalized during the game, with the loss of yardage, and then outside the game with the fine, either pick one or the other, but both is stupid

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                    the fact that they get fined at all disgusts me. i thought that's what penalties during the game were for, to punish the team/player committing the offense?

then they come in and get away with double-jeopardy by fining a player.

not only does the team lose 10-15 yards, the player gets punished again by owing the league money for something the team already got backlash for in-game.

a penalty can cost a team a game. it shouldn't cost the player income.
                    Originally posted by cutler4thewin View Post
                    i still dont see why players are getting penalized during the game, with the loss of yardage, and then outside the game with the fine, either pick one or the other, but both is stupid

I think fining players is a catch-all. It certainly doesn't mean ALL players need to be fined cash to get a point across, but how would you separate the ones that needed to be hit in the wallet to learn a lesson from those that don't?

It's easier just to fine everyone, IMO.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

There is an emphasis on player safety this year and preseason penalties will likely be called in a way to make sure teams know that and discourage injury causing plays.

Clady is not a dirty player and if I recall the play, the guy he hit was turning while Clady was making his move and it ended up being a clip but didnt start out that way. I could be wrong on that but regardless, Clady is a guy who only had like 2-4 penalties all of last season as a rookie, so I wouldn't be alarmed
                      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Hopefully the ole fall-and-clip move isn't a significant part of Clady's repertoire, or we might see a bit of a performance drop-off this season. I can't recall seeing him do that at all last season, but I wasn't watching him much of the time.
                        "Josh has handcuffed and buried this team for the next five years if not a decade. He has no game plan."-thinkin101

"Welcome to your first losing season McD... you'll probably get a few right off the bat."-jrthefreak

"I think the season will be a bloodbath. I'm on record and stand by my prediction of a 3-13 season..."-wolverine83

Comment

I agree. Clady is a bust. We best trade him now while his value is high. We should be able to get at least a 5th rounder for him. I mean going into preseason a #1 plus more compensation but with the fine proving him to be completely dirty...Oh wait

Most fines are non sense anyway. I am all for protecting players from intentional injury but football has become a different sport than it was in years past. Heck if I was bigger, stronger, faster, could catch, hit, tackle, and kick I would play. In 10 years I may be able to anyway. The rules will negate being fast as there will be a fine for running full speed and hitting someone.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                            There is an emphasis on player safety this year and preseason penalties will likely be called in a way to make sure teams know that and discourage injury causing plays.

Clady is not a dirty player and if I recall the play, the guy he hit was turning while Clady was making his move and it ended up being a clip but didnt start out that way. I could be wrong on that but regardless, Clady is a guy who only had like 2-4 penalties all of last season as a rookie, so I wouldn't be alarmed
                            they've had an emphasis on player safety for a few years now, which explained the ridiculous amount of fines last season. i understand why they are there...

but that's also why the players get penalized in-game. to discourage these types of actions.
                            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I hope he rubs the check in his sweaty butt crack before sending it in to the league office.

Comment

Working...
                              X