Broncos fined and punished for Salary Cap Misques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos fined and punished for Salary Cap Misques

Has anyone seen any more about this or heard about this (in the denver area?) This may not seem like a big deal (the fine really isn't), but the loss of our third round pick is! Espeacially sense Shanny seems to be a genuis at picking great talent in low rounds.

Here is a link to the story I read about it.
    Salary Cap punishment link

Thats weak, a few years ago the Ravens got fined for that but they didn't get a pick taken away (as far as I remember).
    Smith's First Catch
    "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

Re: Broncos fined and punished for Salary Cap Misques

Originally posted by OBF
      Has anyone seen any more about this or heard about this (in the denver area?) This may not seem like a big deal (the fine really isn't), but the loss of our third round pick is! Espeacially sense Shanny seems to be a genuis at picking great talent in low rounds.

Here is a link to the story I read about it.
      Salary Cap punishment link
      I am not sure what the date a player gets waived does to the salary cap, but don't players defer salary all the time? I am not saying the Broncos didn't do this, but I need a clearer explanation as to why this was a violation. And I know the cap rules are complex, so anyone want to help a math defecient mod out?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Is it my imagination or didn't we already get fined and lose a draft pick for that a few years back? Check out the following article date back in 2001:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/1205/1290495.html
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

The story wasn't very specific, so it is hard to tell what the broncos actually did, but teams are always trying to find ways to squeeze more out of the salary cap. To me it is just another extension of compitetion except it is the competition between the Font offices and the lawyers of the teams instead of just the players. I wonder if the league is just trying to make an example out of the broncs, because I am sure that other teams do whatever they can to egt around the cap.

Also it says that the cap stuff happen during our super bowl years....interesting!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
            Is it my imagination or didn't we already get fined and lose a draft pick for that a few years back? Check out the following article date back in 2001:

Hmm. Again, I am lost on the specifics, because if a player agrees to defer money, how can the league order it to be paid? And if it was paid when the league asked, how is it a violation? Apparently its either a loophole that the teams know won't get caught for a few years, or there is some kind of confusion as to what the league says should be done and teams' accountant say can be done.

And it seems like the fine amount was the same. Odd. How old is the first story in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

This is BOGUS! They must have found another violation. Two 3rd round picks taken for virtually nothing! Plus if smart men like Shanny and Bowlen can't figure out what they did wrong, well then something smells fishy in demark! That just goes to show how the heavy handed, control-freak nfl head offices are a tyranical dictatorship! However that being said the nfls head offices are one million percent better than the other major sports (NBA, MLB, and NHL!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jared

And it seems like the fine amount was the same. Odd. How old is the first story in this thread?
                It is from today (sept 16 2004)

Comment

Originally posted by OBF
                  This is BOGUS! They must have found another violation. Two 3rd round picks taken for virtually nothing! Plus if smart men like Shanny and Bowlen can't figure out what they did wrong, well then something smells fishy in demark! That just goes to show how the heavy handed, control-freak nfl head offices are a tyranical dictatorship! However that being said the nfls head offices are one million percent better than the other major sports (NBA, MLB, and NHL!)
                  Nah. I think the cap is so screwy, that people mess up.

Like I asked, if I work for an employer, and I have made millins and millions, and I have money in the bank, and my boss says, "We need to pay some young talent, I'd like to re-structure or backload your current contract, because I can only spend $X this year," and I agree, as many other people do, why is it suddenly a violation. I want to know why this is different? Even if it is somehow a mistake, if my boss's boss says "You can't do that, you need to pay him what his contract says" and they say..."oh, ok..sorry", they still get screwed? I hear about deferrments and re-structuring all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                    Nah. I think the cap is so screwy, that people mess up.

Like I asked, if I work for an employer, and I have made millins and millions, and I have money in the bank, and my boss says, "We need to pay some young talent, I'd like to re-structure or backload your current contract, because I can only spend $X this year," and I agree, as many other people do, why is it suddenly a violation. I want to know why this is different? Even if it is somehow a mistake, if my boss's boss says "You can't do that, you need to pay him what his contract says" and they say..."oh, ok..sorry", they still get screwed? I hear about deferrments and re-structuring all the time.
                    I don't think that the problem came in the fact that the broncos we deffering payment. It is that the NFL requires that 75% of the salary being deffered need to be held on to (for safe keeping) by the nfl, but it still doesn't effect the cap. The reason we are being fined is because we either didn't pay the whole 75% or we were late. Which is weird because (in the espn article) Shanny says that they paid it immeadiately and is confused as to why they were being punished as well. So I guess we are all in the same boat.

Comment

The loss of a third round pick is bullsht by this league....why dont they invest their time and money into finding out how Ray Lewis got away with murder....
                      Rod Smith's response to Clinton Portis about being traded to Washington...

"Why the %^&! did we do that?"

Comment

*whisper*
                        its a conspiracy, and I have Mulder checking into it

Gotta love her
                        Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                        .... i wanted to offend nobody besides rushmore.
                        Originally Posted by Alastor
                        ......Intelligence isn't anything on wisdom or character

Comment

Yeah I saw the scroll today, but no specifics either, pretty lame for them to go after it over 5 years later... nice going NFL.
                          The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Slam

Takmart, you hit a nail on the head that the NFL does not want to remember. Keep your blinds drawn, and check under your truck for a pool of brakefluid in the morning! It was nice knowing such a brave man. Hey, isn't that Ray Lewis playing golf with OJ Simpson over there?
                            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

That SUCKS. That 3rd round draft choice is gonna prove to be huge in the 05 draft. Even without any early entries it ALREADY looks strong. You'll read from some draft "wonk" that there's no clear-cut choice for the first overall spot. So what? The offensive side of the ball is LOADED. There could be as many as 6 OL taken in the first round alone (with another quickly emerging-Utah's Chris Kemoeatu). There's 3 FOR SURE first round quality players at QB and any draft that includes Braylon Edwards, Mark Clayton and Mike Williams is strong enough up top to push other first round quality players into later in the first day, a-la Darious Watts. And don't kid yourself, that guy was no sleeper. The only reason he was taken outside the top 50 (and he was taken JUST outside the top 50) was becasue he wasn't as "big" or as "fast" as the Reggie Williams of the world. But he's proved to be more ATHLETIC, both at Marshall and in the NFL. The defensive side is pretty solid, with real strenth at corner and end. Antonio Perkins is a PLAYER, but everywhere I look he's behind 3 or 4 other guys who aren't as athletic. At end everyone talks about that kid from LSU (I can't remember his name right now) and David Pollack, but another guy from Oklahoma is an absolute jaw dropper and that's Dan Cody. He has Unique speed and quickness for his position. If Denver tries to move up to get an elite talent, that 3rd rounder could have given them ammunition to move up or at least have another pick on the first day. Without it, it's gonna hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X