Only problem I have with Orton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
    I have said from the day he was drafted...

Brandstater will be the starter before the end of this season...
    and he will be the QB of the future.

MCD drafted him.

The pats had drafted Brady under Bledsoe...(6th round even)
    and Cassel under Brady....
    there is a history here.

McD likes him. He is big, tall, and tough with a good arm
    He is very smart. Earned his degree as a junior, while playing QB!
    He played very well when called upon.
    He has already learned the system.

Brandstater is gonna be the man...

sooner or later.

Just watch... if these teams in front of us are so tough...
    Orton gets hurt... Simms always gets hurt...
    Brandstater is gonna finish this season.
    Seriously, I'm not baggin' on the rook - but just what are you basing that on?

Sure, it's TB's job to step in IF neither Orton or Simms are able to play. And that COULD happen. In today's NFL there's a lot of QBs who don't make it thru a complete season. But that doesn't mean that it WILL happen to the Broncos. Orton has one of the best o-lines in the League protecting him.

And your logic that he HAS TO play because "McD" likes him is suspect at best.

McD ALSO chose to trade away a "franchise QB" that he could have commanded a king's ransom for and took Orton in exchange. Not other QBs who were also offered up like Jason Campbell. Not a star defensive player like Lance Briggs. McD could have traded up to try and get Sanchez - he didn't.

Instead McD took KO "because he liked him." Because he saw Orton as a smart QB who could handle his Offensive scheme. And at 3-0 with Orton's passer rating @ 91.2, it's kind of hard to see where McD was wrong about Kyle or why he wouldn't see KO as a long-term answer @ the QB position...
    "That's a crap question."
    - Kyle Orton

Comment

Originally posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
      Is the fact that he can't make the tough throws. I like the fact that he is playing error free football, but there will be a point and time where we will have to turn it up on offense a notch. Some throws require that the pass be thrown on a rope and he can't do that. I hear them talking about the glove been on his hands,honestly, I don't think it will make much of a difference when it comes out.

With that being said I know people will say there rather him dink and donk up and down the field to avoid interceptions. My theory is that if we really have a top defense will should be able to overcome a mistake.
      I don't really think it's fair to say that Orton can't make the tough throw. He made a few tough throws during the game yesterday.

I think Orton is taking risks based on the situation. If you notice, earlier in the game, he was picking the Raiders apart, and it wasn't close. If the game is in question, then he'll take a few more risks than if we're ahead by a few TDs. I think that's smart, because why do something stupid to let the other team back in the game? That's situational football, and it's what's winning football games for us.

What worries me just a bit is the fact that Orton has to throw the ball away so much. The system being what the system is, I would think there would be more open receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
        Orton has a weakness, but it isn't being able to make the throws. What throws do you think he didn't make today because of his "noodlyarmishness"? That has become a ridiculous assertion.

From your statement about a defense overcoming a mistake, I'm assuming you are one of those fans that like the 'air-it-out-at-all-costs' offensive theory. More often than not, that doesn't work. Sorry.

His weakness is not being able to run when a QB run is the best option. Several times at the goal line, I thought that with the defensive alignment keyed to stop the middle run, a naked bootleg would have been a freebie. For some of his throwaways, I think a run was a possiblity.

If you are going to rag on Orton, at least use reasonable assertions. Noodlyarmishness is foolishness.
        Not being able to throw on a rope =/= Noodlyarmishness. It's more about his control than arm strength. He cannot throw a deep pass that is highly accurate. Yes, he can push the ball down the field. So could Plummer. But you never know who's going to catch it, if it's catchable.
        Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
          Not being able to throw on a rope =/= Noodlyarmishness. It's more about his control than arm strength. He cannot throw a deep pass that is highly accurate. Yes, he can push the ball down the field. So could Plummer. But you never know who's going to catch it, if it's catchable.

Peoples obsession with the deep ball is ridiculous. Kyle makes good decisions, if he doesn't think someone isn't open he's not going to try and force the ball there, that would be a Cutler move.

What are you expecting an 80 yard TD every game? It just doesn't happen, and it doesn't need to. Stop obsessing over the deep ball, a QB doesn't need to be able to throw an accurate deep ball to be a good QB, absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Changeisgood View Post
            Peoples obsession with the deep ball is ridiculous. Kyle makes good decisions, if he doesn't think someone isn't open he's not going to try and force the ball there, that would be a Cutler move.

What are you expecting an 80 yard TD every game? It just doesn't happen, and it doesn't need to. Stop obsessing over the deep ball, a QB doesn't need to be able to throw an accurate deep ball to be a good QB, absolutely ridiculous.
            Wholeheartedly agree here. It's great to see the long TD pass and we might get to see another one, but the focus will always be on getting a first down rather than any attempt at burning the secondary for a long gain.
            Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thatkidhunt View Post
              Once we start playing teams with a little more to offer on Defense you will see the throws that Orton can't make becoming detrimental to the team. I am stoked about the error free ball he has played so far, he will be gone next year, or should be gone next year, there is a better guy out there for the job.

Till then.......Go:orton:
              Raiders have a very good defense,,, its just our O line was better so we exploited that - besides most of us here thought Orton was going to be a bad player this year,,, that he was going to freak out in the pocket and throw turnover and get sacked... Orton turns into a different animal on the field,,, He himself said he can put the ball where he need to,,, be it a five yard pass to a back to a long bomb down the side line...
              We are winning so why the heck are you complaining?
              sigpic

Comment

Problems I have with Orton:

Inability to throw accurately over ~20 yards
                Poor pocket presence - often leaves the pocket too early and doesn't keep his eyes downfield
                Inability to make plays with his legs - Plummer and Cutler could

Comment

Is the fact that he can't make the tough throws. I like the fact that he is playing error free football, but there will be a point and time where we will have to turn it up on offense a notch. Some throws require that the pass be thrown on a rope and he can't do that. I hear them talking about the glove been on his hands,honestly, I don't think it will make much of a difference when it comes out.

With that being said I know people will say there rather him dink and donk up and down the field to avoid interceptions. My theory is that if we really have a top defense will should be able to overcome a mistake.
                  Come on man what are you talking about? He can put the ball on a rope anywhere on the field. The only throws you should be concerned with are the lofty passes thrown down the field.
                  Thank you Mr. B for making the tough decision you knew was needed for the better of the organization.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
                  Josh McDaniels is the single most impressive young coach I've ever seen in pro footballAnd kudos to both of you for seeing the true value of Kyle Orton. Now pay the man!:orton:[/FONT]

Comment

i don't think orton is the long term answer. but, as we have all witnessed, he is a pretty good stopgap until we can get a better qb. ko is smart and playing great football right now. this offense isn't about flashy 50+ yard bombs. it's about spreading the d, hitting open receivers and controlling the clock. at one point during yesterdays game i heard the announcers start talking about how tired the offensive line looked. any coach in the league would much rather have a tired offense rather than a tired defense any day.

Comment

I see all the posts complaining about Orton not being able to throw the deep ball down field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Broncos just beat the franchise/owner obsessed with throwing the deep ball? There is more to the offense than just throwng it deep. Once we start dominating in the run game, you'll see the play action open up, THEN we'll see how good our deep game is.
                      sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                      Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                      Adopted By:
                      Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                      Broncbeat

Comment

Originally posted by JohnShaft View Post
                        I think there's a very real chance of that happening.

I've seen Cutler lead come-from-behind each of the first 3 weeks of the season. It really is a thing of beauty to believe not only that your Quarterback can do that but that he WILL.

Getting down to the Broncos situation though:
                        You are beating the teams put in front of you (even given the Bengals was by a fluke play).

You have a tough stretch now, Kyle and the rest of the team deserves the benefit of the doubt until they come up short. And perhaps even the, depending on the manner.

I really would wait until you have games were Kyle just does not seem capable of leading his team to a win before I start thinking beyond him.

You're 3-0. When that changes negatively then you can start to analyse why. Kyle has flaws in his game, but if they aren't exposed in your type of Offence then it really doesn't matter much.

All depends on how you do, and how you play, against the better half of teams in the league.

You've got the W's atm.

Did you forget that you are on the Broncos MB? We know that Cutler has the potential to come from behind, And we also know he can lose it at the last minute turning it over in the Red Zone! Look up Cutlers Turnovers the last 3 years and count how many of them are in the Red Zone! Including the one last year that was missed by Hochuli! You guys in Chicago are blinded by his arm strength and being mislead in his maturity level!

Do you honestly think the bears would've won yesterday if Matt Hasselback was in the game? Your Defense barely beat a Back up QB so before you come to our boards bashing our QB you might want to look into your own Backyard because I guarantee you Kyle Orton is a more self disciplined QB than Cutler is this point in their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnShaft View Post
                          I think there's a very real chance of that happening.

I've seen Cutler lead come-from-behind each of the first 3 weeks of the season.
                          And I've seen him throw four picks in a division game that the Bears could have won if not for his bad choices and sheer panic.

The Bears are 2-1, and they've lost a game to a division rival that really, they should have and could have won. Enjoy the highlight reel.

Comment

I want to see his completion % rise up to around 60% and see him become more effective in the red zone so those FGs become TDs. As long as he and the offense continue to improve I'll have no problem with him.
                            \

Comment

Where has he shown that he cant make the tougher throws ? Hes not dinking and dunking up the field TO AVOID INT's. THAT IS THE OFFENSE and these first three games whether some of you want to believe it or not is preparing the team to play tougher teams by emphasizing no penalties ,turnovers and controlling the clock.

I dont see how these next games can be considered tougher opponents and yet some of you think the way to victory will be by airing it out.

Orton has made every throw hes needed to make when hes needed to make it . McDaniels is not calling the game with the purpose of making some of you feel better .hes calling it to win it because WINNING should make you feel better .

McDaniels has already said that every game will be scouted and prepared for differently so when we face a team where we can exploit them deep I would put money down that we will do so with no problems whatsoever.When we face a matchup in the secondary we know we can exploit we will do so but when we are able to run for 200 yards I dont see the point of stat padding with uneeded passes .
                              "(Touchdowns) are the goal," Orton said. "You can run for as many yards as you want, throw for as many yards as you want, but you have to convert to seven points. I think we're going to be explosive, be dynamic, be versatile."

"Perception is everything in this league, and a lot of times, unless you're a self-promoter, it can become negative," - Kyle Orton

Kyle Orton Army member #83 :logo: :smug:

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                                I don't really think it's fair to say that Orton can't make the tough throw. He made a few tough throws during the game yesterday.

I think Orton is taking risks based on the situation. If you notice, earlier in the game, he was picking the Raiders apart, and it wasn't close. If the game is in question, then he'll take a few more risks than if we're ahead by a few TDs. I think that's smart, because why do something stupid to let the other team back in the game? That's situational football, and it's what's winning football games for us.

What worries me just a bit is the fact that Orton has to throw the ball away so much. The system being what the system is, I would think there would be more open receivers.
                                This is my point. Im pretty sure there are guys open out there. Either he is scared or can't make the throw. Now you going to tell me Eddie Royal can't get open next. No reason why doesnt have more than enough catches by now.
                                Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

Working...
                                X