Shanahan call was good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan call was good.

He was simply running down the clock, like any good coach does. Griffith isn't paid to drop the ball, Plumber is paid to make sure the hand off is clean.

Denver has done the same thing hundreds of times and except for rare blunders like today's, it has worked out well.

SB32. Elway says to Tommy Nalen, "Tommy make sure I get this ball." He got it and ran down the clock.

Today, whatever the reson, Jake should have had the ball to Q regardless of weather Shanny should have had them kick on 3rd down.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

this was a really hard loss but I agree it was a solid call...
      My Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey

Comment

and if Jacksonville had gotten another good kick return ( like they had been all game) and then got into FG range and beat us by one (similar to Florida losing to TN last night) then you guys would have been crying about Shanny not taking enough time off the clock.... you trust your players period. if you don't then you shouldn't be a coach.

Comment

So they go for it and the fieldgoal is wide right by 6 inches. Then that would be the bonehead call of the year. It was a solid call and a fluke fumble.

Comment

Re: Shanahan call was good.

Originally posted by Cestlavie
            He was simply running down the clock, like any good coach does. Griffith isn't paid to drop the ball, Plumber is paid to make sure the hand off is clean.

Denver has done the same thing hundreds of times and except for rare blunders like today's, it has worked out well.
            its griffen

and plumMer

Comment

yeah blame the guys...

you are a terrible fan.

Comment

why would we not have an argument?

your argument is basically that you an (i'm assuming ) arm chair quarterback like the rest of us would have made decision that was much smarter than one of the best coaches in the NFL...

um ok... just let Broncos management know so they can hurry up and hire you

Comment

Originally posted by PrimeTime2479
                  If that happens then good for them and good for us too. Its better that they beat us than having our coach take it away from us! You guys have no argument, it was a bad call plain and simple.
                  It's 3rd down, the Jags have a timeout, and there's enough time on the clock for them to do something with it. Leftwich showed last week that he plays much better with time running down.

If Quentin doesn't fumble the ball and Elam makes the kick, the Jaguars can NOT attempt a single pass down the middle of the field because they would NOT have a timeout. That greatly increases the defense's chances in final few seconds.

When in a situation like this, Shanny would have been a ***** to kick it on third down and 30 seconds left instead of forcing the Jags to use their last timeout. We fumbled. Get over it. It was the right call.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

If the jags offense would have made a dent against our defense all day I would probably agree with your hypothesis, but that never happened. With our defense playing that solid, and a fumble by Griffin in the red zone a week earlier. I say let them take their shot. I don't see any QB resembling John Elway on their team.
                    I eat Crow today 12/19/04. The Chefs had alot better recipe obviously!

Comment

i think jake should of just kneeled down and lose a yard instead taking a chance.we still would of been in elam's range

Comment

Originally posted by fishingeek
                        So they go for it and the fieldgoal is wide right by 6 inches. Then that would be the bonehead call of the year. It was a solid call and a fluke fumble.
                        Hello - they are gonna go for the FG regardless - even if Q had lost yards or jake got sacked - two other possible scenarios Shanny should have thought of - when you RUN that play you are hoping to get yards and run down the clock a bit, best case scenario, right - next, you get zero yds run down the clock and still make a 39 yd FG attempt - next scenario - lose yds cause your RB got stuffed behind the line or your QB gets sacked, attempt longer ydg FG, RIGHT???????? - next and worst YOU LOSE THE BALL - hmm YOU MAKE THE CALL

Comment

Re: Shanahan call was good.

Originally posted by Cestlavie

More then likely he asked Elam what part of the field he wanted to kick from, and thats probly part of the reason they ran it too . i mean under normal situations a simple handoff for a little run is as safe a call as you can make....but **** happens.....i mean if Q had taken it up the gut and scored a t.d then nowbody would be saying it was a bad call to run it instead of kick it right then on 3rd down.
                          "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

I think Shanny made a good call. But good or bad call we shouldnt have fumbled. The coach cant protect the players from the basics(handoffs). The coach cant operate out of the fear of "what if". Shanny might have made some bad decisions earlier in the game.

Comment

3rd down...kick the field goal. To be honest I was wanting them to kick the fiield goal on 2nd down & let our defense handle it from there. It's over now & we can't change it by arguing good or bad call, so let's get ready to lay it on the bolts next week! YEAH!!!
                              I eat Crow today 12/19/04. The Chefs had alot better recipe obviously!

Comment

Working...
                              X