Shanahan's fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan's fault?

I believe the loss to Jacksonville is partly to be blamed on Mike Shanahan. For Being such a tactical genius, it seems that when he messes up he does it in the stupidest way imaginable. He has Jason Elam ( a kicker I have dubbed "Automatic"), he should have took the field goal instead of the fumble, rather than to try and create an offensive drive that would perfectly vanquish the remaining thirty seconds. Kick the field goal and let the defense finish the game Mike.

I can understand why he ran the ball one more time: to run some time off the clock and get a little closer. But if that's the case, why did Jake spike the ball to stop the clock the play before? WTF???

Comment

Why run the ball on that last play?

1) To get a few yards closer (least important)
      2) To position the ball for Elam's preferred kicking angle
      3) To use a little more time off the clock which means less time for the Jags to respond (Leftwich showed last week that he performs well in the closing seconds of the game)
      4) To force the Jags to use their final timeout which would not allow them the option of throwing down the middle of the field or any surprise draw plays (most important)

Hindsight is 20-20. If Shanahan had thought we'd lose the ball, obviously he would have kicked. But assuming we hang onto the football, running the ball was the right call.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Well said Javalon...

And to add to it:

5) Q rarely fumbles
        6) The Jags' kick returner is a monster and extremely dangerous. He'd have had a TD had he not stumbled after high-hurdling Knorr earlier in the game.

And by the way StevenW...ESPN beat you to the dubbing of Elam as "Automatic".

Comment

Unfortunately, the game wasn't available for viewing in my area. From what I understand though, Elam missed two field goal attempts earlier in the game. If this is true, why should Shanahan be bashed for trying to get him a bit closer on this attempt? Call it what it was.. a fluke that shouldn't have happened. We out played them in nearly every category of the game, but the bottom line, we lost.... they won. I still say we are the team to beat in the AFC West.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
          ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
            Unfortunately, the game wasn't available for viewing in my area. From what I understand though, Elam missed two field goal attempts earlier in the game. If this is true, why should Shanahan be bashed for trying to get him a bit closer on this attempt? Call it what it was.. a fluke that shouldn't have happened. We out played them in nearly every category of the game, but the bottom line, we lost.... they won. I still say we are the team to beat in the AFC West.

Nuff said...
            he only missed 1 FG 51 yds. it died a couple yards short...b4 they fumbled it would been 40 yds w/ wind at his back oh welll...

Comment

mayb 3rd time will b charm for shanny n these late 3rd down situations....

browns last yr good hand off but injury, sunday muffed hand off. next time im thinkin he'll go FG...but u never know..

Comment

It wasnt Shanny's fault at all. Not at that point. He may have screwed things up early. I think we see why MA was important to the team. We should have scored a touchdown before half. MA may have caused Shanny to do what he wanted. He ran Q up the middle a little to much. But he had to see if Q can get it done. He also has to be able to trust Plummer and Q to not turn that ball over on that play.

Comment

The missed field goal was bizarre to say the least. Like the announcers said, it appeared that it was pushed down right before the goal post. Wind gust? Who knows but the ball literally "died" and fell to the ground.

The question of running the ball one more time crossed my mind immediately seeing Jake go up to the line before the snap even occurred. I was watching the clock tick down: 35 seconds, 34, 33, 32 FUMBLE! Even if Q didn't fumble, could we have gotten the field goal squad on the field and make the "attempt" at the field goal? I thought we were going to cut that 4th down a little close without a time out to use.

I am not ditching on Shanny cuz I love the guy and I can imagine how distraught the locker room was after the game knowing that we were that close to the victory.

The loss did not hurt us that bad.

Good Game to the Jags and let's take it out on the Bolts this weekend!

GO BRONCOS!!
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

That last run is to position it for Elam for a game winning FG......Shanahan has to have faith in his QB and RB to get a clean exchange, it was freak thing that probably will never happen again, especially now that it has happened already once....

Comment

Re: Shanahan's fault?

Originally posted by StevenW
                      I believe the loss to Jacksonville is partly to be blamed on Mike Shanahan. For Being such a tactical genius, it seems that when he messes up he does it in the stupidest way imaginable. He has Jason Elam ( a kicker I have dubbed "Automatic"), he should have took the field goal instead of the fumble, rather than to try and create an offensive drive that would perfectly vanquish the remaining thirty seconds. Kick the field goal and let the defense finish the game Mike.
                      I hate these monday morning quarterback, 1st time posting dingleberries who show up and say what they 'would have done different'. Are you too stupid to realize that Shanahan was 1 play away from winning the game? Do you not understand that he was able to prevail and had his team in the position to steal a hard earned road victory? Do you think that the Broncos just magically appeared in the position to win by themselves, and this was Shanahan's only decision of the game?

You're an idiot, plain and simple. If you don't have anything intelligent or constructive to add to these forums, just stay the hell out. Calling Shanahan 'stupid' because our reliable 1st string runner can't hold onto the ball on absolutely the most critical play of the game is ludicrous and only points out your own glaring mental shortcomings.

Get lost.

Comment

I think that if you're going to blame anyone for anything you should blame the Jags for playing a very solid defensive game and just enough offense to win the game for them.

Positive notes:
                        It wasn't a home loss.
                        It wasn't in our division.
                        We're still tied for first place in the AFC West.
                        We didn't get blown out.
                        Plumber had no INT's.
                        Luckily Jags defense kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.
                        Broncos "O" line didn't allow a single sack.
                        Broncos kept the Jags offensive production to minimal.

There is more but I don't feel it is neccesary to keep going on.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighThunder
                          I think that if you're going to blame anyone for anything you should blame the Jags for playing a very solid defensive game and just enough offense to win the game for them.

Positive notes:
                          It wasn't a home loss.
                          It wasn't in our division.
                          We're still tied for first place in the AFC West.
                          We didn't get blown out.
                          Plumber had no INT's.
                          Luckily Jags defense kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.
                          Broncos "O" line didn't allow a single sack.
                          Broncos kept the Jags offensive production to minimal.

There is more but I don't feel it is neccesary to keep going on.

After 2 games into the season, I think we have a very solid defense that we can ride, and as long as our offense doesnt continue to make critical mistakes at critical times, we should have an ability to beat any of the teams we play this year....I definetely look at the Jacksonville loss as a game we could have/and maybe should have won....it was by no means that Jacksonville was a better team....

Comment

"Calling Shanahan 'stupid' because our reliable 1st string runner can't hold onto the ball on absolutely the most critical play of the game"

so now it's "Q"s fault?? I know you're not saying that but, it looks that way when it's first read. If you were stating that as the case you're post looks a bit hypocritical. Perhaps it's just heavy sarcasm. Anyway it's sufficient to entertain me. Keep smiling

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighThunder
                              "Calling Shanahan 'stupid' because our reliable 1st string runner can't hold onto the ball on absolutely the most critical play of the game"

so now it's "Q"s fault?? I know you're not saying that but, it looks that way when it's first read. If you were stating that as the case you're post looks a bit hypocritical. Perhaps it's just heavy sarcasm. Anyway it's sufficient to entertain me. Keep smiling
                              Note the word reliable. Q is a reliable runner, in my opinion, and you don't expect him to go dropping the ball. It shows our coach's confidence in his players.

What is hypocritical about my post? Did, or did not, Q fumble the ball? How is that Shanahan's fault? Maybe it was a bad handoff. It doesn't matter. Shanahan wasn't out there. I don't see how you can blame that on him. Hypocrite this!
                              Last edited by Perry1977; 09-20-2004, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X