Front office mistakes with contracts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
    I agree that's a bit much. It's a lot much actually. I laugh at other teams when they pay their quarterbacks that much. They're important, yes. But not that important. Other quarterbacks can also get the job done and they don't cost the farm.

I think many teams overpay for their QBs. I'm all for fair, but that's just obscene.
    Consider Cutlers works out to be about 10 mil per year (9.7) and that is AVERAGE for qb's and he is a "franchise QB" Maybe we could pay Orton that much...and still have room to pay others...ie Marshal & Doom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncsx3 View Post
      I think Denver has a reputation as a class organization, I agree. I don't see how my suggestion is "unclassy". They sign him to a fair extension preseason (6 year, 12 million), then renegotiate even though we don't have to after his apparent breakout season is over from a much stronger position than if Orton was just an unrestricted free agent like he is going to be.

Except they evaluated Orton's talent based on 3 years of NFL experience, not college like Leaf. Also do you really think that McD has very little input into what players get paid with the rookie GM? No way!
      You seem to be leaving Orton's agent out of your analysis, because only a crazy person would agree to a 6 year, 12m dollar contract as a starting QB, especially with an uncapped year coming up. That's worse than 2nd round rookie contracts, and did I mention he's a starting QB?! If his agent called him with an offer like that, Orton should fire him on the spot.

The guys you see signing the long-term deals are the ones who sign for crazy money. I'm pretty sure he would be under advisement not to even look at a contract until he plays out his current deal or gets an offer that he can't refuse. 2 million a year is easy to refuse. Especially over a half dozen years.
      Last edited by Lomax; 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM.
      "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High Jedi View Post
        We've seen what McDaniels did with Cassel in NE, we've seen how Orton performs in McDaniels' Offense here. Do you see a pattern?
        So does KC run NE's offense? Cassel excelled enough to get into a bidding war, apparently. I didn't hear much talk about "he ain't worth much; he's only good in New England."

If Orton puts up 4,000+ yds and 25+ TDs, which he's on track for, I see him being in a similar situation. Also, he has a MUCH better winning heritage (college and pro) than Cassel. By the end of the year, enough teams would be very happy with a proven QB with those kind of stats.
        Respect...it's earned, not given.

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=broncsx3;2991697]Eh, that's kinda foolish. It's a business and now KO has all the bargaining chips as an unrestricted free agent moving into a likely uncapped year. If he's unhappy with his 6 year, 12 million dollar contract then you can always give him a raise out of the "kindness" of your heart.

and likewise, had we given Kyle the big money up-front and he didn't perform, would he be as benevolent and give the organization money back? Of course not, this is a one-way street, owners know that. KO will get paid, I hope by us.

Even with Doom, no one knew for sure how he would perform after changing positions. Was it prudent for us to NOT give in to BMarsh during his spat? Of course. All of these players will get paid, and shortly, but in each case I think we made the best decision at the time.

Comment

Why are you guys worried about this in the first place? We can't do anything about it. I have trust in our managing front office to do the right thing, and to sign the players they need to sign. Stop worrying about it, and just enjoy the season!:go:
            Play the football MMORPG called GOAL LINE BLITZ! You can create your own players and your own team! Sign up at this link :

http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=34994725

Comment

Originally posted by Markymarkuss777 View Post
              Why are you guys worried about this in the first place? We can't do anything about it. I have trust in our managing front office to do the right thing, and to sign the players they need to sign. Stop worrying about it, and just enjoy the season!:go:
              I agree. Worrying about whether someone gets 12 million over 4 years or 25 million is pretty pointless. Because the reality is, that 3 million per year will come from somewhere that we as fans won't see (players renegotiating, free agents taking backloaded or frontloaded contracts, etc.).

I've never heard of a team losing games because they were against the cap. You lose games because your players are bad, banged up, or poorly coached.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X