Orton may make "Cassel-Type Money"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    nahh man he makes some throws that make you go....ew...but I will say with the glove off he has been even better...and I just hope he continues to progress and we win a SB...thass all lol...
    You're right, he does make a few throws per game that don't look pretty, but can you honestly say you remember the last time Denver had a QB with 100 rating after 6 games?
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingsfan28 View Post
      I don't think McD is stupid. In fact the evidence so far is he is pretty smart. The Broncos pants the Bears in the trade. Now why would he let the Quarterback he wanted go? I know he wanted Casel first but Orton made the deal for Cutler go through. To keep him you are either going to have to franchise him or pay him. No one knows what the rest of the season will bring but what if it continues like the the first 6 games? Orton would end up with better numbers at the end of the year than Cutler. Can you then offer him less than what the Bears gave Cutler? I don't think so.
      You're new to the board so maybe you haven't yet recognized that there's still a group that dies a little inside every time they are forced to admit that McDaniels and Orton are not minions of Satan sent here for the sole purpose of destroying the Broncos.
      \

Comment

Would like to see more games out of Orton before considering giving him a huge extension. Hope the team waits until after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          You're right, he does make a few throws per game that don't look pretty
          Every QB does. After all the heat on Orton, and people picking apart every bad throw, I've been watching other games thinking, "If Orton missed that same throw, they'd be all over him." Manning, Brees, anyone--they all miss a few a game. When Orton hits 20 of 29, are we really gonna gripe about the other 9? Seriously, the guy has no picks. That's accuracy.
          Respect...it's earned, not given.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
            Would like to see more games out of Orton before considering giving him a huge extension. Hope the team waits until after the season.
            Even if waiting might mean adding another $10M or more to the deal? Even if it means letting someone else go to stay under the cap (if it's still there)?

Funny how many people on this board and elsewhere would have been eager to pay $60M to get Sanchez or Stafford before they ever took a snap, but suddenly go all cheap on a guy that's ranked 4th in the AFC and got us 6-0 while playing hurt.
            Respect...it's earned, not given.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cutler65 View Post
              Ross (Chicago): Mort, with how Kyle Orton has played this year, do you think the Broncos are going to give him a long-term deal?

Mort: Interesting. Orton is making $995,000 in the final year of his deal. No way the Broncos are letting him go, so they can franchise him or they can work on a long-term deal. My guess is he'll get signed to one of those Matt Cassel-type contracts. And good for him.
              I think he meant "Cassel will make Orton-like money (or rather, what Orton will soon be making)"
              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by floridabroncos View Post
                I think he meant "Cassel will make Orton-like money (or rather, what Orton will soon be making)"
                LOL, another eloquent floridabroncos post!
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  You're right, he does make a few throws per game that don't look pretty, but can you honestly say you remember the last time Denver had a QB with 100 rating after 6 games?
                  Good Point sir...

Comment

Originally posted by KO8pectate View Post
                    Whats funny is that you seem to think Cassell is a superstar ? Big Ben and Eli both got over a 100 million.

It seems that this stuff is way over your head if you think that 60 million is superstar money for Qb's .That is pretty much the going rate for a young non rookie starting QB when they get locked up.

MCDaniels has film of every game in Ortons career .They can easily chart his history and see that he has been on a upward slope his entire career and can factor in his age and upside in determining whether to lock him up during the season.

The one thing that Im quite certain of his Orton will not be locked up before Brandon . So if Brandon has to wait then Orton has to wait .I just dont see Bowlen doing that to Brandon .
                    The superstar status comment was directed at the people saying that Orton should get more than Cassel did.

The Chiefs took a huge risk giving Cassel that kind of money after only 1 season as a starter in a great NE system with great players around him.

The Broncos shouldn't make that same mistake, which is what it would be signing Orton after only 6 games with us.

At least see what he can do over a full season in this system. Signing him now and giving him 28 mil guaranteed like Cassel got or even more, would be a crazy gamble after 6 games. I say 6 games, because it's more important that he works in this system for 1 and for 2 he hasn't shown that he's worth that much based on what he did with the Bears.

I think the FO will take their time and see how the season plays out.
                    2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                      Earlier in this thread, I was joking that we already signed them.

I WAS joking.

6-0 is great. It's mindblowing, and I think we should at least give it 4 more games to see where the chips fall before we start throwing cash at everyone.

At this moment, right now? I'd start talking to Orton's agent and seeing where the bar is. I'm sure Xanders is doing that.

I think KO's contract won't come until the end of the year. If he helms the team to a deep playoff run and looks good doing it, I would guess he gets a 4-5 year deal probably roughly close to Plummers his last year here: 4-4.3 million base, with up to 3 in incentives, with a 9 million signing bonus.

On the open market? Probably 3 million a year, 3 or 4 year deal, 5 or 6 million signing bonus. He's gotta make more money than Kyle Boller and David Gerrard...right?
                      Plummer's deal from 5 years ago?

3 million a year on the open market? Really??

Can you name a starting QB, signed in the last season, making 3 million a year over the life of the contract?

At the LOW end he's making what Schaub makes. At the HIGH end what Cassel does. Neither of those guys makes "superstar" money. "Superstar" money is the 100MM contracts signed by Big Ben and Eli. 4-5MM base salary for a proven starter would be considered an insult by most agents.
                      "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by hestersgirl View Post
                        I don't think Orton is owed elite money, and I don't think the Broncos pay him that either. I do think he should and will get at least a little above starter money though. They could very well wait out the season. If the salary cap thing happens Kyle will be a restricted free agent because he hasn't started long enough in the league to be unrestricted. I think the team drops a lot of dead weight in order to resign Marsh, Doom, and Orton as well as any other important players.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut Simms and then resign him to a smaller contract though. As far as I know he makes more money than Kyle at the moment. They won't let that stand.

All in all I believe Kyle will be reasonable about his pay. He will try to get paid without breaking the bank and without making it difficult for the team to keep him. He may even take less money than he could probably receive if it meant keeping some important cogs on the team also.

Just my 2¢
                        Everyone seems to be counting on 2010 being an "uncapped" year without a Collective Bargaining Agreement to allow the Broncos to simply slap a franchise tag on KO and keep him until he "proves" himself to some fan's satisfaction.

If the Broncos DO wait until the end of the season before offering Orton a new contract, they'll be taking a HUGE RISK. If the NFL Players Association reaches a new CBA with the owners, it won't be an "uncapped" year. Kyle Orton would then be a full-blown Free Agent and able to negotiate with ANY TEAM. The "franchise" tag will not be available to use on Orton. There will be teams desperate for a good QB - and KO is a good QB. Denver might end up being outbid or at least forced into paying a lot more than they would now.

Even if there is no CBA reached and 2010 is an "uncapped" year, Orton will still be a RESTRICTED Free Agent. That means other teams can still bid for Kyle, Denver just has the opportunity to match the best offer if they wish. The "franchise tag" would be available to use in that case, but last season the one-year salary for a QB tagged as "franchise" was $14,561,000. It'll be higher next season. They could get Orton locked up for 5-6 years right now for $10-12 million per year. Why wait only to have the price most likely driven up?
                        "That's a crap question."
                        - Kyle Orton

Comment

Working...
                        X