Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We must continue to improve in all phases of the game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Honestly I've never heard any coach talk about improving every week like McDaniels had. Shanny always just gave the bland "I like the effort, we'll work on it in practice" when the defense had a bad day, and when the offense put up 40 points he was like "We had a great day on offense".

With McDaniels the D gives up 3 points and he's like "They played well but there were still a lot of mistakes. We blew some coverages, missed some tackles, we'll just show the players the film on Wednesday and make the adjustments to get better". Shanny seemed to be content with good play, but it seems like McDaniels constantly demands perfection which I love.
    Actually, your description of Shanahan sounds more like Wade Phillips when he was our coach. Wade was always a "glass half full" kind of guy. It's funny to me reading all the criticism of Shanahan lately. Shanny was one of the hardest working, smartest, best game planning coaches around, and even though it wasn't working as well the last few years here, I don't believe he changed his coaching style or his work habits. It was something else. That's not to say he wasn't responsible for what happened to the team; he had all the power so whatever happened fell on his shoulders. But he worked just as hard as he always did. And now people are saying the same things about McDaniels that were said when Shanny was hired: offensive genius, tenacious work ethic, never satisfied, always striving to do better. Yes, McD is showing all those traits, but some people seem to forget our last coach was exactly like that.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
      Actually, your description of Shanahan sounds more like Wade Phillips when he was our coach. Wade was always a "glass half full" kind of guy. It's funny to me reading all the criticism of Shanahan lately. Shanny was one of the hardest working, smartest, best game planning coaches around, and even though it wasn't working as well the last few years here, I don't believe he changed his coaching style or his work habits. It was something else. That's not to say he wasn't responsible for what happened to the team; he had all the power so whatever happened fell on his shoulders. But he worked just as hard as he always did. And now people are saying the same things about McDaniels that were said when Shanny was hired: offensive genius, tenacious work ethic, never satisfied, always striving to do better. Yes, McD is showing all those traits, but some people seem to forget our last coach was exactly like that.
      That was just the problem with Shanny. You do the same thing for 14 years, people are going to catch on to what you're about. That's my favorite thing about McDaniels, his versatility. He has the willingness to throw out the game plan after each week and start fresh.

Comment

I think you guys already have a chance to go deep into the playoffs as it is.

You're already playing at a HIGHLY above average level. If you can perfect it - Definite superbowl contender.
        Qwerty

Comment

I think this team still has a lot of improvements to make. Even being 6-0, we are far from our potential. Just take the last game as an example and see the big plays allowed, mainly during the 1st half. Our defense failed to cover Tomlinson and Gates early allowing Rivers to get rid of the ball before being sacked. Also, our offense did not run the ball well, Buckhalter did a good job but Moreno went nowhere. And Orton missed a lot of open targets. Special teams, Kern is not punting the ball well. We were not having good kick returns before week 6. A lot of mistakes and yet the team is winning games. If we fix more and more details things could get even worse for the opposition. Usually, offense and defense are performing much better in the 2nd half.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High 151 View Post
            That was just the problem with Shanny. You do the same thing for 14 years, people are going to catch on to what you're about. That's my favorite thing about McDaniels, his versatility. He has the willingness to throw out the game plan after each week and start fresh.
            That's exactly what I was saying in my post, though. Shanahan would game plan specifically for each team to expose their weakness. He was versatile. His offensive game plans still worked. Unfortunately he didn't take care of the defense as well as the offense. All the things I hear people saying about McD were said about Shanny. And I'm not trying to take anything away from McD by saying that. He's doing a great job. Perhaps it's just inevitable that every coach's methods will wear out when they're with the same team for too long. Look what happened with Shula, Landry and Noll. The end of their tenures were not very pretty. It may happen to McD some day. My point is, Shanahan is getting a lot of criticism, and while some is deserved, much of it is not, IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

Rewatching the games ...

... shows that much improvement in their play is possible.

ST is starting to improve.

Offense hasn't grown fully into McDaniels' playbook.

Even D could do better.

The main reason they are 6-0 at this time is because of effort, determination and a will to win.

They fear no one, but deeply respect all.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

OBviously some people dont see Norv Turner going, I think we play pretty well for the most part...or Zorn doing the same...

Comment

Working...
                X