Champ is still the #1 CB IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ is still the #1 CB IMO

Let me start by saying that I probably am a homer, but I try to be honest with things I post whether they are favourable to the Broncos or not.

I hear that Nmandi is the #1 CB from alot of ppl and that Revis is catching him up, there seems to be a misconception that just because Champ is in his 30's he has slowed down and isn't as good as he was (this is also levelled against Dawkins but as the D Post said, he is all over the place)

Glancing back to last year and the NE game, I saw Champ shut down Moss completely, Moss couldn't get away, on one play Bailey shot across the field, dived, and knocked the ball away for an incompletion. Bailey gets injured and Moss burns Bly for 2 TD's in the 2nd half, Bailey never properly recovers from injury that season.

Fast forward to this season and I have to admit I don't see much of the Jets and Raiders, only the Broncos but this is what I have seen.

- Nobody seems to have any success against Champ at all, if Champ gives up any catch then he is annoyed and its quite a surprise, even a ten yarder.

- against Dallas Romo threw to Champ and had no real success, on one play Champ broke on the ball and made a great pick. He gave Hurd the inside on 2 plays at the end of the game and made the play both times, the 4th down play was fantastic.

- He shut Moss down, I don't remember Moss doing anything really, it was Welker who had some success on the other side.

- Against SD Rivers seemed reluctant to throw towards Bailey (possibly the reason for all the hurries and sacks) and when a BIG PLAY came up, 4th down, he throws it over the middle and guess who steps up and breaks it up.......Champ again.

and this doesn't even mention really what a great tackler he is in the open field.

So although I might be a homer there really is no one else I would want as our #1 CB and if there is a better CB in the league then Champ then then must be almost unplayable.

I posted this link http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1 in another thread in the smack section...good gauge (I guess..judge for yourself) for how all the players in the league are performing. Champ is Second best overall but 1st in coverage..

Comment

It's true...he's the best, but just because of his age he won't get the credit...I saw that old guy who yells alot on ESPN and he was like "even tho Champ Bailey isn't quite CHAMP BAIley!"...and I just thought...umm why would you say that??...it's dumb, maybe he'll get the credit when he gets a few more INTS, thass all people like to look at
      Last edited by #24 Next Champ; 10-24-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
        It's true...he's the best, but just because of his age he won't get the credit...I saw that old guy who yells alot on ESPN and he was like "even tho Champ Bailey isn't quite CHAMP BAIley...and I just thought...umm why would you say that??...it's dumb, maybe he'll get the credit when he gets a few more INTS, thass all people like to look at
        When I mentioned this play - 'on one play Bailey shot across the field, dived, and knocked the ball away for an incompletion.' its at 0.55 on your top link.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
          I posted this link http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1 in another thread in the smack section...good gauge (I guess..judge for yourself) for how all the players in the league are performing. Champ is Second best overall but 1st in coverage..
          woah dude WHO THE HELL MAKES THOSE STATS?!?!?!....those are WAYYYY off....

Comment

woah dude WHO THE HELL MAKES THOSE STATS?!?!?!....those are WAYYYY off....
            If you have a better link I would be interested in checking it out. I don't know the factual-NESS of the stats hence the (judge for yourself) comment I posted along with the link.

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
              If you have a better link I would be interested in checking it out. I don't know the factual-NESS of the stats hence the (judge for yourself) comment I posted along with the link.
              I mean they are accurate on some stats, but how the HELL do people figure he's been thrown at 39 times, that is just rediculous...they count like throw aways to his side and throws that weren't even CLOSE to him, I just can't believe they can get 39x a QB threw at Champ...He'd have like 4 picks by now at least...you have to count all throws that were RELATIVELY close not every throw on the right side....

Comment

The problem with CB stats and why they never work is because the D plays zone at times.

If every D in the league only ever played man then stats would be easy to keep, as soon as a D plays zone the stats are impossible to get.

Appreciate the link though BB

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  The problem with CB stats and why they never work is because the D plays zone at times.

If every D in the league only ever played man then stats would be easy to keep, as soon as a D plays zone the stats are impossible to get.

Appreciate the link though BB
                  No that's not true, not if you can recognize zones properly...you just have to look at the type of zone the team ran on that play and figure out where the CB should've been...

Comment

No that's not true, not if you can recognize zones properly...you just have to look at the type of zone the team ran on that play and figure out where the CB should've been...
                    With zone blitzes and prevent andslots going over the middle its almost impossiblem.

I have lost count the number of times they blame a CB for getting beat in zone when it looks like it was someone else getting beat and that CB was trying to just recover the situation. Its just too hard to tell.

btw - Theres also the problem of a pass rush, the worse the pass rush then the harder is is to stop the WR beating you, that also factors in.

Comment

With zone blitzes and prevent andslots going over the middle its almost impossiblem.

I have lost count the number of times they blame a CB for getting beat in zone when it looks like it was someone else getting beat and that CB was trying to just recover the situation. Its just too hard to tell.

btw - Theres also the problem of a pass rush, the worse the pass rush then the harder is is to stop the WR beating you, that also factors in.
                      that is true, but I can tell you as long as you can get a good camera angle, you should be able to tell who's zone it was...and I know, I've been that Corner playing cover2 and the ball goes over you and you still almost make a play and all of the crowd thinks you got burned, you just know it lol

Comment

Let me start by saying that I probably am a homer, but I try to be honest with things I post whether they are favourable to the Broncos or not.

I hear that Nmandi is the #1 CB from alot of ppl and that Revis is catching him up, there seems to be a misconception that just because Champ is in his 30's he has slowed down and isn't as good as he was (this is also levelled against Dawkins but as the D Post said, he is all over the place)

Glancing back to last year and the NE game, I saw Champ shut down Moss completely, Moss couldn't get away, on one play Bailey shot across the field, dived, and knocked the ball away for an incompletion. Bailey gets injured and Moss burns Bly for 2 TD's in the 2nd half, Bailey never properly recovers from injury that season.

Fast forward to this season and I have to admit I don't see much of the Jets and Raiders, only the Broncos but this is what I have seen.

- Nobody seems to have any success against Champ at all, if Champ gives up any catch then he is annoyed and its quite a surprise, even a ten yarder.

- against Dallas Romo threw to Champ and had no real success, on one play Champ broke on the ball and made a great pick. He gave Hurd the inside on 2 plays at the end of the game and made the play both times, the 4th down play was fantastic.

- He shut Moss down, I don't remember Moss doing anything really, it was Welker who had some success on the other side.

- Against SD Rivers seemed reluctant to throw towards Bailey (possibly the reason for all the hurries and sacks) and when a BIG PLAY came up, 4th down, he throws it over the middle and guess who steps up and breaks it up.......Champ again.

and this doesn't even mention really what a great tackler he is in the open field.

So although I might be a homer there really is no one else I would want as our #1 CB and if there is a better CB in the league then Champ then then must be almost unplayable.

I agree man Champ is the best in the game today. I bet the day he retires he will be first ballot Hall of Famer!! If some how Champ doesn't than Hall of Fame is a joke.
                        sigpic

Comment

Champ is still the best, no doubt first ballot HOF. He is the most well-rounded cornerback to ever play. Champ does everything well. I feel sorry for Derrick Mason next week.
                          sigpicNow I'm not sayin OJ shoulda killed her...but I understand" -Chris Rock

Comment

that is true, but I can tell you as long as you can get a good camera angle, you should be able to tell who's zone it was...and I know, I've been that Corner playing cover2 and the ball goes over you and you still almost make a play and all of the crowd thinks you got burned, you just know it lol
                            Right when I saw this thread I knew your posts would make up the majority of it.

Comment

There's no opinion about it. He's the best. The football gods have spoken, and let any who disagree be struck by a bolt of lightning
                              Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X