NFL Redzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Fargo.
    I haven't seen the Red Zone and really don't see any reason why I would want it. If I am interested in a game I want to watch the WHOLE game not JUST the red zone plays. A lot of times to watch (or keep track of at least) Broncos game, I have to go to non-conventional means, so I supose it could be ok, but not something that really sounds good to me.
    As far as NFL ticket goes, imo, what should be done, is to have a package for all the teams in a specific division (with one team being chosen to trump the others if their games are on at the same time). $100 or so would seem fair. Either that or, considering I have heard $400 per year for 16 games a week ($25 per available game), they could charge $25-$50 per team whose games you were interested in. That would seem to be a good way to get business from people who can't afford $400 for a lot of football they don't care about.:orton::go:

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      I don't have it and I don't want it.

It emphasizes offense even more than is already the case in the NFL, and is essentially something the uneducated masses would use to get "instant highlights" rather than gain a true understanding of the game by watching the entire thing unfold for themselves.

It's for the "immediate gratification" crowd that never truly understood football and never truly will. It also makes it easier for people to fall into the trap of "I know about football because I saw all the important stuff and because I'm good at fantasy football."

It's not for me. To me, a highlight is just as important on a defensive stand or on a well executed battle of the lines to get a three yard carry for a first down. Some of the greatest plays in the history of the NFL have been for 4 yards or less and nowhere near the goal line.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants to use this channel, but it's certainly not for those of us that view football as a thinking man's game.

I have nothing against those that watch things like this (and nothing but things like this). I just am not one of them.
      Although sometimes they show highlights from scores that already happened, most of the time you see the big plays live. Obviously in the red zone, but you also see most of the big third and fourth down plays all across the field as well. Since you're watching it live, it obviously isn't necessarily a score. You do actually watch and see if the defense makes the stand or the offense scores.

Besides, the stats that stand out, like if a defense hasn't allowed much (ect) is narrated to you by the host Scott Hansen, who contrary to what somebody else said, I think does it well. All-in-all, I think it's a really great channel to be able to keep up with all of the games... if the Broncos aren't on.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos4Ever1103 View Post
        As someone else stated, I feel that it is just an extra way to get more football and a fun way to view football for a bit. I'm not trying to argue with you at all, but certainly don't feel it is "dumbed down" or whatever.

Fair enough. I meant no offense. I do feel that many people use fantasy football and highlight reels to educate themselves about football, and the result is some of the insanity we dealt with this off-season. I'm probably reacting to that, rather than to anyone who generally watches this type of stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I watch highlight reels too. If red zone were free, I'd probably watch it sometimes too. I do still maintain that I watch football as more of a chess match than a wrestling match, and I prefer to watch the battles as they unfold rather than just the "killing blow."

Like I said, the greatest plays in the NFL in my book are usually not associated with an end zone.

I didn't intend to over-generalize or pigeon hole those that would like to see the station. I guess I over-emphasized my personal beliefs on the matter and how I feel it contributes to a lot of people who "watch a lot of football, but don't actually know a damned thing."

I certainly didn't mean to imply that everyone that watches such things are like that. Like I said, I watch them too.

I apologize for not phrasing my comments more carefully and for giving a different impression than I meant to.

Comment

I don't have it and I don't want it.

It emphasizes offense even more than is already the case in the NFL, and is essentially something the uneducated masses would use to get "instant highlights" rather than gain a true understanding of the game by watching the entire thing unfold for themselves.

It's for the "immediate gratification" crowd that never truly understood football and never truly will. It also makes it easier for people to fall into the trap of "I know about football because I saw all the important stuff and because I'm good at fantasy football."

It's not for me. To me, a highlight is just as important on a defensive stand or on a well executed battle of the lines to get a three yard carry for a first down. Some of the greatest plays in the history of the NFL have been for 4 yards or less and nowhere near the goal line.

I don't begrudge anyone that wants to use this channel, but it's certainly not for those of us that view football as a thinking man's game.

I have nothing against those that watch things like this (and nothing but things like this). I just am not one of them.
          Definitley one of the more harsher comments I have ever read. Classifying people who watch it as an uneducated mass while saying you have nothing against them and don't bergudge them for it. Interesting indeed....

EDIT: Your post above clears the air. :go:
          Last edited by Atrn79; 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrn79 View Post
            Definitley one of the more harsher comments I have ever read.
            Uh... No. I said it was something those kinds of people watched. I did not say everyone who watched it was that kind of person.

I also clarified in a post after that.

I do see why you took that impression however, and that's my fault. I should have used much better language than I did, and I was certainly pretty venomous when I didn't have to be.

Comment

Originally posted by The Irish View Post
              Agreed. To even insinuate that those who like the Redzone channel can't also have a true understanding of the game is pretty ridiculous.
              I agree with you here. I am a high school coach and feel I am pretty knowledgeable about the game yet I watch RedZone because I don't want to watch the crap the local market feeds us... I mean really? Who wants to see the Pats beat up on another 0fer team... Even Pats fans out here were turning that game off.
              sigpic

Formerly Bell&Smith'05
              also
              Formerly CutlerEra

Comment

Uh... No. I said it was something those kinds of people watched. I did not say everyone who watched it was that kind of person.

I also clarified in a post after that.

I do see why you took that impression however, and that's my fault. I should have used much better language than I did, and I was certainly pretty venomous when I didn't have to be.
                I just read your follow up right after I had posted. Just a second too late! :go:

Comment

I have it and I love love love it. I had it on all day yesterday as well as last Sunday.

I am a female fan and for some reason- I like how I don't have to listen to all the obvious BS...as in commentators that say things like "if the offensive line of this team was better, this guy's quarterback rating would likely improve"....or "keys to the game- avoid turnovers".
                  Proud to be a lifelong crazed woman and descendant of a Colorado "century family"! (My family has been here since at least 1840)

Comment

Originally posted by Atrn79 View Post
                    I just read your follow up right after I had posted. Just a second too late! :go:
                    No sweat. My initial response to the Red Zone channel was pretty heated. I probably had it comin'.

Cheers.

Comment

I don't have it yet...I'm waiting for the price to go down, but I saw it when it was free for Week 3 or 4, I forget which, and I absolutely loved it.

If you do have this kind of say in expressing the fans interests to the NFL though, I would really, really suggest mentioning how often people who would willingly pay 50,60,100 bucks to see only ONE team specifically play.

We've had an issue with live streams on this board and I think that further emphasizes it. We don't need Sunday ticket, we just want to see the Broncos.

For $100, I would certainly pay to see ONLY Denver play, in addition to what I get locally.
                      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                        For $100, I would certainly pay to see ONLY Denver play, in addition to what I get locally.
                        HERE HERE!! :Beer:
                        sigpic

Formerly Bell&Smith'05
                        also
                        Formerly CutlerEra

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Sonneman View Post
                          The NFL would like me to ask you all your thoughts on the NFL Redzone channel. Do you have it? Do you like it? Let me hear your thoughts and I will share your answers with the league.

Thanks

Kyle
                          I'm a little bothered because I have NFL Sunday Ticket which I pay quite a bit for, and I have to pay extra to get Redzone. I don't think that's too fair.

Comment

Red Zone channel is excellent, but they need to offer it to more people
                            "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Digital Cable, so, I don't have it. I wish the NFL network would work with TWC.

But, I really want it. A friend of mine has it and it's brilliant.
                              Qwerty

Comment

Hey all. First post here, after being a long time reader...

I moved to California last year due to family matters, and can't see spending $400 for Sunday Ticket. DTV also turned me off due to installation/scheduling issues on their part - all after being a premium HD customer for a long time with them. So the Red Zone with Dish Network was just the right answer.

I love watching the major highlights from the other games, and of course when the Broncos aren't shown here in So Cal, I can keep up and watch our main plays and scores in HD, with good, to the point commentating... all for the price of one six pack per month - what's not to like? It's a great idea, with excellent execution, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X