Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you all ready to get rid of Griffin? After this, you won't be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you all ready to get rid of Griffin? After this, you won't be.

I have been waiting for the right time to revive this article. I ran across it a couple months ago, and found it very interesting to say the least.

Yes, Q's fumble hurt us. We know. Every back in the league fumbles. But don't try and act like this is the "end" of Quentin Griffin. Let's go back a few years...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug-27- - Clinton fumbles away his chance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stage for Clinton Portis to shine was set. He got the nod to start in the most recent preseason game agaisnt the Arizona Cardinals. A good outing means he can solidify himself as the Broncos starting RB, but instead, he took a few steps back and left the position up for grabs again.

Clinton Portis put up shellshocking numbers in the first half, rushing 5 times for 45 yards, a 9 yard YPC average. What stands out even more than the monsterous 9 yards on average, was his 3 fumbles in 3 quarters of work, all recovered by Arizona.

Apparently, games like these are in Portis' background. Portis had a 3 fumble game against Big East rival Virginia Tech his freshmen year. The following year, he put the ball on the turf another 3 times in one game, against Boston College. During his Junior year, he fumbled twice in one game against West Virginia.

Instead of being in the doghouse, coach Shanahan and other players are giving Portis words of encouragement, hoping that their prized rookie can bounce back from this game and move on to become the starter."It's a learning experience for him," Shanahan said to the Denver Post,"You want it to happen in preseason games, not the regular season, and he'll keep on getting better and better. I think everybody sees what type of speed and what type of running back he is."

When asked if this performance would linger in the mind of Clinton, his response was exactly what to expect from the confident young runner,"It's forgotten. Game over. We won. I don't remember what happened. What happened?"

http://www.orangemane.com/pages/rookiewatch.shtml

Makes you go, "hmmmmmm", doesn't it?
    Last edited by Perry1977; 09-20-2004, 12:14 PM.

well yeah did you see portis drop the ball twice on sunday. 2 out of 7 turnovers by the skins
    BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
    IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Fumbles are a part of the game, oh well. There is always next week.

Comment

Well...I'm watching ESPNNEWS right now and the Jags figured out the line scheme. So hopefully, the Broncos will learn from this and do some tweaking.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
        2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
          Well...I'm watching ESPNNEWS right now and the Jags figured out the line scheme. So hopefully, the Broncos will learn from this and do some tweaking.
          Especially if we play them in the playoffs.
          sigpic

Comment

Re: Are you all ready to get rid of Griffin? After this, you won't be.

Originally posted by Perry1977
            I have been waiting for the right time to revive this article. I ran across it a couple months ago, and found it very interesting to say the least.

Yes, Q's fumble hurt us. We know. Every back in the league fumbles. But don't try and act like this is the "end" of Quentin Griffin. Let's go back a few years...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug-27- - Clinton fumbles away his chance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stage for Clinton Portis to shine was set. He got the nod to start in the most recent preseason game agaisnt the Arizona Cardinals. A good outing means he can solidify himself as the Broncos starting RB, but instead, he took a few steps back and left the position up for grabs again.

Clinton Portis put up shellshocking numbers in the first half, rushing 5 times for 45 yards, a 9 yard YPC average. What stands out even more than the monsterous 9 yards on average, was his 3 fumbles in 3 quarters of work, all recovered by Arizona.

Apparently, games like these are in Portis' background. Portis had a 3 fumble game against Big East rival Virginia Tech his freshmen year. The following year, he put the ball on the turf another 3 times in one game, against Boston College. During his Junior year, he fumbled twice in one game against West Virginia.

Instead of being in the doghouse, coach Shanahan and other players are giving Portis words of encouragement, hoping that their prized rookie can bounce back from this game and move on to become the starter."It's a learning experience for him," Shanahan said to the Denver Post,"You want it to happen in preseason games, not the regular season, and he'll keep on getting better and better. I think everybody sees what type of speed and what type of running back he is."

When asked if this performance would linger in the mind of Clinton, his response was exactly what to expect from the confident young runner,"It's forgotten. Game over. We won. I don't remember what happened. What happened?"

http://www.orangemane.com/pages/rookiewatch.shtml

Makes you go, "hmmmmmm", doesn't it?
            Here's the difference, CPs fumbles never hurt us because they were in PRE-SEASON, Q's fumbles have cost us a game and a TD, makes you go hmmmmmmmmmm eh?

Comment

The main difference between Perry's article about Portis and Q is that Portis had a case of fumblitis in the PRESEASON. Q has fumbled twice in two regular season games. That's a huge difference.

CP's fumbles in the preseason cost him the starting job. He wasn't able to get a kung fu grip on the starting job until the middle of the season (or thereabouts). But once he got the chronic fumbling out of his system, he became very reliable for us. I honestly can't remember a time where he cost us a game because of a fumble.

Q has fumbled twice in two REGULAR SEASON games (both in very key situations). In the first one, we were fortunate to pull out the win and Q's fumble was forgiven, if not forgotten by most. But then Q puts it on the ground again in a key situation in the next game.

I'm sorry to say it, but until Q gets some fumble free games under his belt, he will have the reputation of a fumbler. There are still some really great running backs that are still labeled as fumblers (Ahman Green comes to mind).

Shanny has already said that he expects Q to bounce back, but my money says that he will not tolerate a chronic fumbler in his starting backfield. Some RBs get over their fumbling problem, some don't. We'll just have to see which category Q will fall under.
              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

I'm sorry to say it, but until Q gets some fumble free games under his belt, he will have the reputation of a fumbler
                in case you didnt know, you are talking about the player that holds the NCAA record for most carries without a fumble.

YEs, the NFL is different, give him time to get used to it, this is his first year starting.
                Eagles own u

Comment

Originally posted by Seto
                  in case you didnt know, you are talking about the player that holds the NCAA record for most carries without a fumble.

YEs, the NFL is different, give him time to get used to it, this is his first year starting.
                  In case you didn't know I don't give a rats a** if he went 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 carries without a fumble in college, the fact of the matter is that he is a fumbler in the NFL.

Comment

yesterdays was not a fumble, you got to have posesion which q did not,, a bad handoff was all
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by heaney
                      In case you didn't know I don't give a rats a** if he went 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 carries without a fumble in college, the fact of the matter is that he is a fumbler in the NFL.
                      THIS IS HIS FIRST YEAR STARTING, did you even read my whole post? Rookie mistakes, not a fumbleing problem, and the second one wasn't technicaly a fumble.
                      Eagles own u

Comment

Q has two fumbles it looks like he needs to work on this you can all say i am knocking him no i hope he takes this as a motivation ...so it looks as though clinton has more fumble s then tds.
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

That is right! They did thier homework!

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                          You are right AO that has to be it I did not see the game but I heard it. they did figure out our scheme.And our boys came to the game late.26 sec late.
                          I am pissed!
                          If you ain't a Bronco you don't know FOOTBALL

You can win one and think you are a winner and then you can be a Raider or a KC fan and still be a loser when you win!

Comment

Heany.....it was NOT a fumble.....but a bad handoff...

Plus.....

....your wooferines are STILL sucking.....
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                              Heany.....it was NOT a fumble.....but a bad handoff...

Plus.....

....your wooferines are STILL sucking.....
                              IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!!!!!

I believe we have the same records so.......

Comment

Working...
                              X