Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Orton Worth? Also Elvis Comment

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
    With recent quarterback contracts pushing towards $1 million a game for the likes of Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, what is Kyle Orton worth?

I recently spoke to two former front office executives about placing a value on Orton, especially in light of what Jay Cutler just received from the Bears, a two-year extension that runs through 2013 and includes about $20 million guaranteed with roughly $30 million in new money.

Orton is a guy who wins games wherever he plays. After coming over from Chicago in the Cutler deal, Orton has the Broncos at 6-0 and is young enough (soon to be 27) to play the length of a new six-year deal.

One exec looked at Orton's situation this way:

"When (Tony) Romo got a six-year deal back in 2007 for $67 million and $30 (million) of it guaranteed, the world changed and I could make a strong case he hadn't done near as much as Orton has accomplished looking at his contract situation."

Aaron Rodgers got a six-year deal worth $65 million with $20 million guaranteed before he established himself. Then there was Matt Cassel, who got $63 million over six years with $28 million guaranteed off one year of production.

The consensus on Orton's worth is just above the Cassel deal but significantly below what Rivers received from the Chargers ($92 million over six years with $38 million guaranteed). When the time comes, Orton is going to be looking at a six-year deal worth close to $70 million with upwards of $30 million guaranteed.

As one GM said, "If they wait much longer, it will be even more."
    Last edited by thehighlander; 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM.

Elvis Comments :
    Impact of Ware's contract
    DeMarcus Ware is a terrific player and just got paid! He was rewarded with a six-year deal worth $78 million and $40 million guaranteed.

Ware has 57.5 sacks and his contract understandably compares with Dwight Freeney's. It sparks the question, what is Elvis Dumervil worth? Dumervil is starting to resemble James Harrison of the Steelers and already has 10 sacks this season for the Broncos. He has 36 sacks in the same period of time Mario Williams has 33.5. Trent Cole signed a five-year extension with the Eagles for $26.5 million in 2006 and any club would love to get Dumervil for similar numbers.

However, as one former general manager said, "The price just went up for Dumervil and the Ware deal pushed the Bronco linebacker closer to Harrison."

Keep in mind, if 2010 is an uncapped year, Dumervil would be a restricted free agent, but that doesn't change his true value.

Comment

Bad news. Plus B-Marsh will be a lot.
      sigpic

Comment

I hope he wins a Superbowl and gets paid big time!! Right now he's a bargain, but six games is too short for BIG bucks despite the quality of play.
        John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

#$%#!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh that sucks. That's so expensive, I would not give Kyle Orton that kind of money. He might go spend it on Jack

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Sadly Orton is only worth how many tickets he can sell.

Comment

Originally posted by CUTLERIZED View Post
              Sadly Orton is only worth how many tickets he can sell.
              the stupidest thing i've ever heard, especially from a broncos fan. we have no trouble selling tickets

Comment

I can say I am fairly confident as a Broncos fan that Pat Bowlen will open up the checkbook and pay these 5 or 6 players that are worth contracts after their current ones expire after this season. Most of these players:

Dumervil
                Orton
                Marshall
                Kuper
                Scheffler

.....are the young core of our team that could be with us for a while and have a lot of future success.

I know Bowlen will lock them up, we just have to be patient and stop worrying so much.

Comment

Originally posted by lolcopter View Post
                  the stupidest thing i've ever heard, especially from a broncos fan. we have no trouble selling tickets
                  C'mon that can't be the stupidest thing you've ever heard. (really)

All I'm saying is that people aren't paying to watch Orton... Yet. And He's not in a class of Rivers, Mannings, and Brady. So until he is he'll never get a contract close to what those guys have..

Comment

All I'm saying is that people aren't paying to watch Orton... Yet. And He's not in a class of Rivers, Mannings, and Brady. So until he is he'll never get a contract close to what those guys have..
                    Never once in this article or by anyone else was it mentioned that Orton would be getting a contract like those players.

Even in the article it said he's not looking to get even close to Rivers money. Read son.

Comment

I was thinking about it and I do expect dumerville and marshall to be signed but what if they just franchise orton and trade hime for some picks, I bet there are some teams willing to give up a first and second rounder for him. thats only if mcdaniels is confident in brandstater.
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

I paid to see Kyle on opening day in Cincinnati along with all the travel expenses.

I also just paid for tickets to see him Denver on Thanksgiving along with expected travel expenses again.

So at least this fan is paying to see Kyle, Coach AND the entire "team".

And I know I'm not alone.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                          I paid to see Kyle on opening day in Cincinnati along with all the travel expenses.

I also just paid for tickets to see him Denver on Thanksgiving along with expected travel expenses again.

So at least this fan is paying to see Kyle, Coach AND the entire "team".

And I know I'm not alone.
                          Thats great! And I pay to travel and watch my Broncos also, but there are alot of ticket holders that have no problem with selling their tickets to opposing fan bases and thats not paying to see Orton. Thats not supporting a teams homefield advantage. Monday night against the Steelers a third of the stadium full of Steelers fans that got their tickets from Denver Broncos fans that would rather make 100 bucks than go out and be loud and support our team against the world champs...

Comment

I'm simply in amazement. You guys want to let Orton walk now huh. This place was ready for a mass suicide when you dealt Cutler for Orton and now everyone seems to think that Average Joe can start and win in Denver since Orton is 6-0.

Kyle Orton is the most underappreciated quarterback I can ever remember in the NFL. He wins 9 games with an awful supporting cast in Chicago and somehow gets singled out as the one area of the team that needs upgraded. He goes to Denver where the fans think he sucks before he takes his first snap, gets booed in the preseason, and fights through an early injury to help his team to 6-0. At that point, fans begin to talk about how they should trade him instead of paying him a reasonable contract.

Kyle is not a materialistic person. I'm not going to say he'll sign in Denver for the minimum but I do believe he'll take less than he could get from another team to stay. I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of him.

Comment

Thats great! And I pay to travel and watch my Broncos also, but there are alot of ticket holders that have no problem with selling their tickets to opposing fan bases and thats not paying to see Orton. Thats not supporting a teams homefield advantage. Monday night against the Steelers a third of the stadium full of Steelers fans that got their tickets from Denver Broncos fans that would rather make 100 bucks than go out and be loud and support our team against the world champs...
                              So if Denver were 3-3 with Cutler you think those fans would've kept their tickets?

Comment

Working...
                              X