Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orton's finger injury--gruesome details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orton's finger injury--gruesome details?

Let's give Kyle major props for his astonishing recovery from his finger injury. I don't know if the local papers gave any details, but I thought I'd share what I know, having suffered a multitude of joint/ligament/tendon injuries and surgeries. It's not for the weak of stomach.

Joints are held to together by ligaments. A stretched ligament (like a moderate ankle sprain) will return to normal if immobilized for about 3 weeks, then given proper therapy for another 3 weeks or so. A torn ligament doesn't "heal"; the body lays down scar tissue in its place, which is more brittle and less flexible. (When I climb stairs or run, my ankles sound like I'm making Jiffy Pop.)

Joints are enclosed in a fluid capsule. Two flexor tendons run on the under side of the fingers. These enable you to make a fist (or grip a football). I severed four of mine in college. Two surgeries and months of therapy and I eventually regained about 95% of my movement and maybe 85% of my strength.

Then comes fat, the fascia, and the skin. The fingers also have a pair of nerves and arteries, but these run along the sides.

When Kyle suffered his open dislocation, the bone came out of the joint, stretching or tearing the tendons, rupturing the fluid sac, and went between, around, or stretched the flexor tendons, and still had enough force to rip through the fascia and the tough skin on the underside of his index finger. I read that when the trainer popped the bone back in place, people on the sidelines could hear Orton screaming.

When I heard the injury was an open dislocation, I was literally sick to my stomach. I figured he'd be on IR and we might not see him before the Ravens game. The injury could have ended his career, depending on tendon and nerve damage.

Yet two weeks later, he's starting: finger stitched up, then wrapped, then taped, then protected with a plastic guard, then covered in a glove. The index finger on his throwing hand! Yet he completes 61% of his passes, with a TD and no interceptions. And he improves each week, still playing with the glove, and then with the finger taped. Playing for a new team, no less.

Even now, that finger's gotta be sore, stiff, probably swollen. I bet he feels it every snap, every handoff, every throw. Yet he's put up some of the best numbers in the NFL to date.

Like him or not, no one should ever question Kyle Orton's toughness.
    Respect...it's earned, not given.

sigpic

No one can match the toughness of "The Iron Neckbeard" :orton:

Comment

Originally posted by ExBearFan View Post
      Let's give Kyle major props for his astonishing recovery from his finger injury. I don't know if the local papers gave any details, but I thought I'd share what I know, having suffered a multitude of joint/ligament/tendon injuries and surgeries. It's not for the weak of stomach.

Joints are held to together by ligaments. A stretched ligament (like a moderate ankle sprain) will return to normal if immobilized for about 3 weeks, then given proper therapy for another 3 weeks or so. A torn ligament doesn't "heal"; the body lays down scar tissue in its place, which is more brittle and less flexible. (When I climb stairs or run, my ankles sound like I'm making Jiffy Pop.)

Joints are enclosed in a fluid capsule. Two flexor tendons run on the under side of the fingers. These enable you to make a fist (or grip a football). I severed four of mine in college. Two surgeries and months of therapy and I eventually regained about 95% of my movement and maybe 85% of my strength.

Then comes fat, the fascia, and the skin. The fingers also have a pair of nerves and arteries, but these run along the sides.

When Kyle suffered his open dislocation, the bone came out of the joint, stretching or tearing the tendons, rupturing the fluid sac, and went between, around, or stretched the flexor tendons, and still had enough force to rip through the fascia and the tough skin on the underside of his index finger. I read that when the trainer popped the bone back in place, people on the sidelines could hear Orton screaming.

When I heard the injury was an open dislocation, I was literally sick to my stomach. I figured he'd be on IR and we might not see him before the Ravens game. The injury could have ended his career, depending on tendon and nerve damage.

Yet two weeks later, he's starting: finger stitched up, then wrapped, then taped, then protected with a plastic guard, then covered in a glove. The index finger on his throwing hand! Yet he completes 61% of his passes, with a TD and no interceptions. And he improves each week, still playing with the glove, and then with the finger taped. Playing for a new team, no less.

Even now, that finger's gotta be sore, stiff, probably swollen. I bet he feels it every snap, every handoff, every throw. Yet he's put up some of the best numbers in the NFL to date.

Like him or not, no one should ever question Kyle Orton's toughness.
      At the time of the injury I was extremely worried about how it was taken care of on the side lines. I said I thought it was a very, very serious injury that might be career ending.

Thanks for informing us of those details. You certainly have to commend him for the way he has come through for the team. I think he has shown tremendous courage which has allowed him to earn the respect of his team mates. He has literaly sacrificed himself for the team. We should appreciate that.

Comment

I think the injury was effecting orton even more then he was telling coach.

Least the glove was. Since he has taken off the glove he has gotten much better at accuracy.

He is a warrior no doubt about it imo.

Glad he is the qb of my team. :orton:
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

He is a tough dude. Sometimes, pain can help you focus. I will always remember Isaiah Thomas scoring 20+ points in one quarter with a sprained ankle in the NBA finals. I was happy when the story came out about the severity of the injury because a bunch of idiots were questioning his toughness and likening it to a "papercut".
          Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

I'm sure the injury was affecting him more than he was saying, I don't think he wanted to miss any time because he might not get his starting job back. If Orton had missed a game or two and Brandstater or Simms came in and won, McDaniels would've been tempted to go with them all season. Orton knew the situation, he knew he didn't preform well in preseason and had to play from fear of losing his job.

Comment

Imagine if Kyle wins MVP......reminds me of a basketball player who had the same thing happen to his pinky finger and then went on to win the MVP

Comment

Kyle Orton once had a gruesome injury to his finger just to know what pain was.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                  Kyle Orton once had a gruesome injury to his finger just to know what pain was.
                  LOL! That's pretty sweet!
                  sigpic
                  Team Tebow #103

Comment

He may not be that flashy QB that can wing the ball 60 yards in the air and place it on a dime, but Orton has done what I believe another QB in this league at or younger than him could have done for us. He has brought a sense of leadership that we have truly lacked since the days of Elway. Thinking back, we had our issues with the maturity of Cutler, Plummer flipping the bird to fans (and left handed throws, even though Orton did show his left arm off in the Preseason), and yes, even Brian Griese.

Orton has grasped the playbook, taken advantage of a situation, and has come out looking like a true franchise QB. I haven't heard one thing said by his teammates that would suggest that he isn't a leader, and he has been nothing short of excellent. The guy has guts as portrayed in this article, and he has also showed it in these games that have come down to the 4th quarter and he leads us down the field with some great drives. Quite frankly, I'm happy we got Orton for Cutler, and the extra picks are just the icing on the cake. He has given us something that Cutler had never given us or the Chicago Bears for that matter: steady play, leadership, and someone we can depend on in the Redzone.

The guy deserves all the accolades, and surely he is due for an eventual slip in his game, but what he has done to this point for the Denver Broncos should never be forgotten. He turned a team full of turmoil over the loss of their "franchise" into a legitimate contender going forward. Not much more you can ask for out of one player who was once considered to be trash.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                      Imagine if Kyle wins MVP......reminds me of a basketball player who had the same thing happen to his pinky finger and then went on to win the MVP
                      But that would mean that next year, the Spurs will own Orton and I can't see that happening since he plays football. So the analogy is faulty. Blam blam.
                      Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

That sounds pretty nasty.

Comment

See? That's what I don't get. Why doesn't this guy get more credit?

If Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Brett Favruh had played with an open dislocation, they'd be deemed legends by now, have statues created in their glorious images, and ESPN would be pushing to have them inducted into the Hall of Fame now instead of after they retire, and voted to the Office of the President of the United States.

Why isn't it like that with Kyle Orton?

But, you know what? That's what I like about Kyle Orton. He doesn't talk. He doesn't say a word. He doesn't demand respect. He just beats people week in and week out and goes on his way, open dislocation or not. My gosh! I feel like we hit the lottery with this guy. :orton:

Comment

hmmm... anyone seen that movie "rookie of the year" where the kid breaks his arm and the somehow gains some sort of super powered throwing arm? maybe this is the real life version of that.

Comment

Orton is one heck of a guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X