Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes a better coach?

Who makes a better pro coach?

The cerebral, statistical guy that sees the game from a whiteboard?

Or

The former player that understands the situation from the field?

Not, this coach does good at this and this coach does good at that, which coach is at the basic level more successful?
    Cerebral, statisical analylzation?
    74.00%
    Former pro, lifetime jock?
    26.00%
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Cerebral guy. Hands down.
    sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

I have to say a cerebral coach like Bill Walsh. He put together an offensive system that is still being used in one form or another yet today.

The ex-players just don't seem to have enduring coaching legacies. The only one that comes to mind as having real success was Ditka.
      sigpic

Adopted Posters:
      Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
      Adopted By:
      Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
      Broncbeat

Comment

I put jock. Seems to me like alot of the good coaches have all played the game at least to the college level.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
          I have to say a cerebral coach like Bill Walsh. He put together an offensive system that is still being used in one form or another yet today.

The ex-players just don't seem to have enduring coaching legacies. The only one that comes to mind as having real success was Ditka.
          Bill Walsh played college ball.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post

You could add Don Shula, Bill Cowher to that list.

But, I think cerebral is the way to go these days. It's a different game now.
            Where is this season going?

Comment

Bill Walsh, Chuck Knoll, Mike Shannahan, Don Shula. Those are but 4 coaches who were brains of the team, but also were great Field Generals.
              sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

I voted life time jock because many of the NFL coaches have some sort of college football exp as a player .....

However I like polls like this because I can vote one way and answer the other

Burn !

:devil:
                :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

To me I think the ex-players make great coordinators. They seem to be the ones who get in players faces when a play has to be made. They match the attitude of the players a little more.
                  sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                  Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                  Adopted By:
                  Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                  Broncbeat

Comment

Belichick types>>>>>>> Del Rio types
                    Chicago Bears- Hey our fans aren't stupid, just insane

Comment

Cerebral, statisical analylzation by far.
                      sigpic
                      Props to Peerless^
                      Officially Supporting the Brown and Gold vertical socks. 2009.
                      Official Kyle Orton Army Solidier #17.
                      Official Knowshon Moreno Fan Club #57
                      Pro-McDaniels

Comment

I want a Head Coach that played the game for all the statistical "stuff" the Coach can hire someone for that....

Comment

Cerebral guys win championships.
                          Look at Jon Gruden he was a good coach, and there's Parcels.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I don't know if I get the distinction. Are you saying you can't have cereberal former pros? Or that coaches that didn't play in the pros don't understand what happens on the field? I don't think there's really a correlation between how "cereberal" a coach is and whether he played Pro Football.

"Cerebral" guys who have never played pro ball, like Bellichick or JMD for that matter, don't seem to be lacking in understanding game situations.

"Ex NFL" guys like Tony Dungy don't seem to be lacking in smarts.

Coaches need to be leaders first and foremost. They need to understand how the business works and be driven to succeed. NFL experience is worthwhile for position coaches, but for head coaches it's pretty meaningless, because as a player you're really not dealing with any of the intricacies of the business that coaches are involved in.
                            "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Well, I would say that former players might be worse "teachers" because since it came to easy and natural to them, they might get frustrated at any signs of struggling to adapt. Though they will probably be better motivators as they've had more experience, though I think motivation is just either in a person or it isn't. Its more of a personality than a skill IMO. If your not genuinely a motivating person, it cannot easily be faked.

Comment

Working...
                              X