Sunday game vs Chargers....Simms in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday game vs Chargers....Simms in.

Chris Simms played poorly on Sunday, and was partially to blame for the loss. There are a tremendous amount of hate threads out there now, and as Elway puts it, I am sure that Chris Simms was not pleased with his performance.

In the Preseason Simms was arguably the QB that played best for the team. I have seen him play very well in the past, however, that does not excuse that he was not ready to take the role as starter.

It was clear as Chris said in his interview, that he saw the right opportunity with the deep throw to Marshall, but that it was the timing that was off. That pass would have been a great play, if it had been in the air 2 seconds earlier.

I am disappointed, but would expect Chris Simms to be much more efficient come Sunday.

Then I want to get back to the excuses part;
    Looking at the drive chart, when Simms came in, Knowshawn had 3 good runs. Simms found Marchall for a short pass on the 3rd down to cap off an conversion from 2nd down and 20, and then had three incompletions. Not good but the drive took 3 minutes off the clock.

Special Teams then produce a stellar net 16 yard punt, and the defense spend 5 minutes on the field, including letting Wash. get back from a 2-17 following the sack.

Offence goes 3 and out in a little over a minute - no crisis I would say.

Special team puts the ball on the wash 9 yard line on the punt. Pretty darn good. Defense then lets one of NFLs least effective teams march all the way down the field to score on a 7+ minute drive, and it is all of the run, and ending in a FG. This is a drive that should not have been allowed.

Knowshawn runs for a 1st down, and with 9.21 left in the game the offence really has done nothing that bad, but the defense has done poorly. The offense had produced one 3 and out series, and two series with at first down.

Before Simms interception it looks like the other games. If you leave the O on the sidelines to long they have no rytm, if you leave the defence in there to long they tire out. The big diference so far is that the D does not get the opposing team off the field. The intereception as bad as it was left the ball on Wash 30 yard line. Something the D should have taken care off, but instead let the redskins march down for a TD. Playing catch up with an offence where the timing is not that good is difficult

Simms had a bad game and should have done a lot better, however our defense allowed Redskins long and sustained drives both in the first and 2nd half. If the defense had gotten Redskins of the field more, I think Orton would have made more meaningful plays, and in the 2nd half they should not have allowed 5, 7 and 7 minute drives.

If Simms had hit Marshall with a perfect passing touchdown - i.e passed 1-2 seconds earlier, defense would still have had to spend as much time on the field, and the Redskins could easily have started from their 30 yard line.

The good part is that we know that our defense can play to absolutely elite level. If Orton is out we do not know how well Simms will play, but I am hopefull that the offence can produce. Defense and special teams did not do well, and the lack of productivity from Simms did not help matters. My take is that if defense shows up properly, we will be fine against Chargers, in this - if we dont win we have to play for a wild card spot matchup.

Please lets support our team and not have too many boo heads at the game Sunday. Simms looks much like Plummer did in his playing style - Not a bad thing if McDaniels can get him to straighten up and play smart. How cool would it be to blow out the Chargers in our own house with our BackUp Quarterback!!!!

:go:

Chargers used to HATE playing at Mile High, and they seem to damn comfortable at Invesco Field. Lets give them some Mile High Thunder, and lets make sure that the QB that cries this time is Phylis.

I’m not hearing any of this. You have GOT to be Phil. Chris Simms looked ok VS 2nd and 3rd string defenses playing in their first two games in over three months…

The throw to marshal was not only a bad read, because of the corner and safety help over the top, but WAY off the mark. It was a poor decision, a poor pass, and passing it any earlier wouldn’t have done anything good, it would have only given an INT with better field position, Marshal was never open…

First drive:

Knowshon 11 yards (2 runs) great job.
    Simms throws the ball into the dirt on a short route to buckhalter
    Eddie royal PI 10 yd penalty
    The conversion on 3rd down, is a DIRECT result of Knowshon’s 18 yard run on 2nd down
    Simms pass to marshal 5 yds ok yeeeeeaaaah half of his total half yardage.
    Simms INCOMPLETE to Gaffney, wild throw over the middle
    Simms INCOMPLETE to Stokley in the flats, he threw it at his feet.

Crappy punt to follow up crappy passes. Knowshon 29 yds Simms 5 yds

Drive #2:

Knowshon 1 yard run
    Simms pass behind scheffler, great catch 1 whopping yard.
    Simms holds the ball for an eternity, and takes -7 yard sack.

Ok punt excellent roll - Washington at the 9. (Totals: Knowshon 30 rushing yards, Simms -2)

Drive #3: (4th Quarter Score still 17-14 Den TOP 5:28 WAS TOP 9:32)

Knowshon two rushes 14 yds
    Simms Crappy read, crappy pass, crappy play for an int. (Totals:Knowshon 44 rushing yards, simms -2 and 1 INT.)

Drive #4

4 straight incomplete passes, not a single catchable ball in the mix. No stat change. Only solidifying Simms ineptness

Drive #5

Simms Sack after scrambling for about 5 seconds -4 yds.
    Short pass to Knowshon for 7 yds, YEAH a completed pass #3
    Simms scrambles doing his best McNabb impression and takes a -10 yd sack.
    4th & 17 Simms responsible for – 14 of the -17 yds heaves a hail marry that’s WAY off the mark, misses D-Graham to end the game.

To blame this on anything but simms, after not even being able to cause a net effect of ZERO to the offense (he was a big negative until the 7 yd pass to knowshon in the end of the fourth). Simms DIRECTLY caused the lack of ball possession and Washington out did the TOP on a 3:1 ratio.

Denver has 3 QB’s, most teams carry two. Having Bradstedter allows Simms to take reps, game plan, and be in and around the #1 offense. Being rusty is expected, being LOST is unacceptable.

If every time simms needed to pass the ball he’d of just kneeled down, or still handed the ball off, Denver would have won the game. Knowshon was averaging over 7 yds a rush in the second half, so the 3rd and two that was one of simms two good plays could have been gained by knowshon. Even McD didn’t expect that horrible of play or he’d of abandoned the pass FAR earlier. It’s a team game, but make no mistake about it Simms cost Denver that game, and then LAUGHED about it. McD called plays that are 90%+ success rate, for even marginal QB's. Short passes, mostly in the flat, with some short over the middle, Simms didn't need to win the game, he needed to not loose it, and he did. Short control type passes, and a rushing game getting 7+ yards a carry, and HE STILL BLEW IT.

If simms plays like that you can bet Brandsteter will be in the game by the second quarter, but I can only wish on a star that Orton is back.

I realize I'm being harsh, but Simms has collected a WHOLE lot of money to apperently not even pay attention in meetings, or worry about completing a pass. I liked Simms, and used to think he'd be a good back up, but holy hell, that was disgusting, and defending his actions, sheer nonsense.
    Last edited by owninit; 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Let me put it this way, the broncos would be better off holding an open try out for qb rather then ever having Simms take the field for them ever again.

Like Owninit said, the only one who could defend Simms half hearted attempt at QB on Sunday would be his daddy.

Face it Phil, your son is finished when it comes to football. Not only did he kill his chances at ever being a back up after this season, his post game "public speaking skills"(that lacked worse then Jr. High School Students) will haunt him till the day he leaves the sport.

I hope every inspiring QB watches tape during and after the game vrs Washington to learn how not to act and play in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
        Let me put it this way, the broncos would be better off holding an open try out for qb rather then ever having Simms take the field for them ever again.
        I agree. It was the worst QB play I've seen in a long time. I can't remember who said it, but someone on this forum said he looked like a skinny JaMarcus Russell.

LOL to that.
        Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
        sigpic

Comment

Simms played horrible, no excuses, he didn't have to play great, all he had to do was hand the ball off and complete a few passes to open receivers, he couldn't even do that. What a sorry excuse for a QB.

Comment

The head coach himself said that the rest of the team stopped doing things in the second half that would have affected Orton's play if he had still been in the game. As bad as Simms might have played, it was a team loss because the team failed to get the job done.

How is it that a defense, that at one point had only given up a combined 10 points in the second half of games over a six game period, all of a sudden gives up 13 points in the 4th quarter to a bad team?

Simms hasn't played much in the last three years and hadn't been getting many reps in practice since the beginning of the regular season, that's going to affect his play no matter how much we would like it not to. Let's not forget that it's the coaching staff that took the risk on making Simms the back up despite his lack of playing time. All he can do is try to do the best he can given the circumstances. It would have been great if he could have gone in and lit up the place. It's rare for that to happen when a back up goes into a game due to an injury to the starter. The only thing we can do is hope that a week with more practice reps will help him play better against the Dolts if he has to start. Because he will be the starter if Orton isn't, despite all those who think it's better to put in a rookie sixth round draft pick.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
              I’m not hearing any of this. You have GOT to be Phil. Chris Simms looked ok VS 2nd and 3rd string defenses playing in their first two games in over three months…

If simms plays like that you can bet Brandsteter will be in the game by the second quarter, but I can only wish on a star that Orton is back.

I realize I'm being harsh, but Simms has collected a WHOLE lot of money to apperently not even pay attention in meetings, or worry about completing a pass. I liked Simms, and used to think he'd be a good back up, but holy hell, that was disgusting, and defending his actions, sheer nonsense.
              I agree with your assessment of Simms' mistakes but not with your dismissal of Simms. In other words, he did play badly, but...

* He had not played in 8-1/2 games.
              * I've seen many quarterbacks, even the best starters, have a bad half.
              * The gameplanners abandoned the running game, not a good idea against a good defense adept at pressuring the QB.

He played badly, no question about it. But he hasn't worn out his welcome yet with me.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                The head coach himself said that the rest of the team stopped doing things in the second half that would have affected Orton's play if he had still been in the game. As bad as Simms might have played, it was a team loss because the team failed to get the job done.

What's he suppose to say "Hey look guys, Simms stunk it up even after we paid him his 3 million?".. "Simms continued to make bad read after bad read and held on the ball to much, I don't know why we paid this loser 3 million bucks".

Geez ofcourse he is going to say the right thing. But we all saw what was going on. This 3 million dollar mental midget could not move the freaking ball at all. He had 13 yards for goodness sake. 13 FREAKING YARDS!!!!!

And then went to the sideline SMILING ABOUT IT!
                7/15 48 yrds 0 td's 1 INT - Jay Cutler the "Pro-Bowler" at the 2009 Pro-Bowl. sigpic Ah-Dah!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                  I agree with your assessment of Simms' mistakes but not with your dismissal of Simms. In other words, he did play badly, but...

* He had not played in 8-1/2 games.
                  * I've seen many quarterbacks, even the best starters, have a bad half.
                  * The gameplanners abandoned the running game, not a good idea against a good defense adept at pressuring the QB.

He played badly, no question about it. But he hasn't worn out his welcome yet with me.
                  He has with me, he can toss for 500 yards this weekend. But I still will remember how he was grining from ear to ear while we were loosing the game.

Mark my words he is gone as of next year... GONE!
                  7/15 48 yrds 0 td's 1 INT - Jay Cutler the "Pro-Bowler" at the 2009 Pro-Bowl. sigpic Ah-Dah!

Comment

i think brandstater looked the best and resulted in our only preseason win.
                    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post

The throw to marshal was not only a bad read, because of the corner and safety help over the top, but WAY off the mark. It was a poor decision, a poor pass, and passing it any earlier wouldn’t have done anything good, it would have only given an INT with better field position, Marshal was never open…

First drive:

Knowshon 11 yards (2 runs) great job.
                      Simms throws the ball into the dirt on a short route to buckhalter
                      Eddie royal PI 10 yd penalty
                      The conversion on 3rd down, is a DIRECT result of Knowshon’s 18 yard run on 2nd down
                      Simms pass to marshal 5 yds ok yeeeeeaaaah half of his total half yardage.
                      Simms INCOMPLETE to Gaffney, wild throw over the middle
                      Simms INCOMPLETE to Stokley in the flats, he threw it at his feet.

Crappy punt to follow up crappy passes. Knowshon 29 yds Simms 5 yds

Drive #2:

Knowshon 1 yard run
                      Simms pass behind scheffler, great catch 1 whopping yard.
                      Simms holds the ball for an eternity, and takes -7 yard sack.

Ok punt excellent roll - Washington at the 9. (Totals: Knowshon 30 rushing yards, Simms -2)

Drive #3: (4th Quarter Score still 17-14 Den TOP 5:28 WAS TOP 9:32)

Knowshon two rushes 14 yds
                      Simms Crappy read, crappy pass, crappy play for an int. (Totals:Knowshon 44 rushing yards, simms -2 and 1 INT.)

Drive #4

4 straight incomplete passes, not a single catchable ball in the mix. No stat change. Only solidifying Simms ineptness

Drive #5

Simms Sack after scrambling for about 5 seconds -4 yds.
                      Short pass to Knowshon for 7 yds, YEAH a completed pass #3
                      Simms scrambles doing his best McNabb impression and takes a -10 yd sack.
                      4th & 17 Simms responsible for – 14 of the -17 yds heaves a hail marry that’s WAY off the mark, misses D-Graham to end the game.

To blame this on anything but simms, after not even being able to cause a net effect of ZERO to the offense (he was a big negative until the 7 yd pass to knowshon in the end of the fourth). Simms DIRECTLY caused the lack of ball possession and Washington out did the TOP on a 3:1 ratio.

Denver has 3 QB’s, most teams carry two. Having Bradstedter allows Simms to take reps, game plan, and be in and around the #1 offense. Being rusty is expected, being LOST is unacceptable.

If every time simms needed to pass the ball he’d of just kneeled down, or still handed the ball off, Denver would have won the game. Knowshon was averaging over 7 yds a rush in the second half, so the 3rd and two that was one of simms two good plays could have been gained by knowshon. Even McD didn’t expect that horrible of play or he’d of abandoned the pass FAR earlier. It’s a team game, but make no mistake about it Simms cost Denver that game, and then LAUGHED about it. McD called plays that are 90%+ success rate, for even marginal QB's. Short passes, mostly in the flat, with some short over the middle, Simms didn't need to win the game, he needed to not loose it, and he did. Short control type passes, and a rushing game getting 7+ yards a carry, and HE STILL BLEW IT.

Simms did play horrendously bad ball on Sunday, on the snaps he had. The point of the post however was that inept as the play was, it was other factors that let to the demise. Simms simply did not have the ball enough to loos the game. Though he showed no signs of getting things together, we dont actually know if he would have lost the game for us given more of a chance.

I disagree with you that BMARSH was not free. The three man cover got to him when he had to stop and wait for a pass in the endzone. Before the endzone no more than one defender was close, but that is not really the point. In retrospect, the deep interception was probably no worse than giving the Whopper another chance to kick for 16 yards. The net result was similar.

Lets all hope that Ortons torn ligament is a ligament with a tear, and not a ligament that is torn over. Orton is clearly the best QB and we miss him. It was such a good trade we did with Chicago

Comment

Phillip is in the house.....

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                          Simms did play horrendously bad ball on Sunday, on the snaps he had. The point of the post however was that inept as the play was, it was other factors that let to the demise. Simms simply did not have the ball enough to loos the game. Though he showed no signs of getting things together, we dont actually know if he would have lost the game for us given more of a chance.

I disagree with you that BMARSH was not free. The three man cover got to him when he had to stop and wait for a pass in the endzone. Before the endzone no more than one defender was close, but that is not really the point. In retrospect, the deep interception was probably no worse than giving the Whopper another chance to kick for 16 yards. The net result was similar.

Lets all hope that Ortons torn ligament is a ligament with a tear, and not a ligament that is torn over. Orton is clearly the best QB and we miss him. It was such a good trade we did with Chicago
                          You have to be kidding yet again. Simms not having the ball long enough to loose? The fact Simms didn't have the ball longer is a DIRECT result of his inept play. Knowshon, the recievers, and the o-line were acomplishing yards without him, and he was loosing yards, and creating turnovers...

And your interpritation of the interception being just like a punt is all fine and dandy, but IT WAS ON FIRST DOWN, on the WASH 46 yd line. You're making the assumption that A) mcd really wanted to punt on first down, or B) no other yards would have been gained, no time off the clock... One hand off to knowshon, going on his average for the half would have put them on the outer limits of Prater FG range (56 yds), and If denver would have run it 3 times, it's a minimum of 1:30 off the clock and the chance of a FG, and probaly a first down again, and far more time off the clock....Game won if there's a FG rather than a momentum swing...
                          Last edited by owninit; 11-19-2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                            Simms played horrible, no excuses, he didn't have to play great, all he had to do was hand the ball off and complete a few passes to open receivers, he couldn't even do that. What a sorry excuse for a QB.
                            I agree he was sh*t on Sunday. And believe me, I was really pointing my finger at him for the loss. But, if Orton can't go this Sunday vs SD, Simms will have had a full week of solid practice under his belt and a chance to prepare mentally for the game. And McD did wonders with Cassels, so I'll believe he can do the same with Simms if need be.
                            sigpic

Comment

Simms practices with starters again today...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Could be a tough weekend....

Comment

Working...
                              X