Knowshons Running Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Moreno will be fine. During the off season he does need to put on some weight. At least 10-12 LBS to become the every down back we need!
    But then he will be as fast as LaMont Jordan
    sigpic

Comment

In response to the OP:

Telling/asking a RB to run "more upright" is a no-no. I've always coached to run low as I was always taught to run low.

The lower the pad level, the more leverage you have to push tacklers, and it makes it harder to be stripped or arm tackled.

I think he was falling down in the last couple of games because McDaniels is running him ragged. There are times you can tell he needs a breather, but he's still in there.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
        Moreno most likely got tired and hurt (I saw him limping once, then later feeling his wrist). But apparently Hillis is not good enough to join the rotation, a stumbling Moreno is better to McDaniels.
        I wonder if Hillis did something to make McD mad at him. This is my opinion, if McD rotated Knowshon, Buck, and Hillis in every game, our offense would be that much better.

Give the ball to Buck on first and/or second donw(s), because he usally gets the most yardage on the early downs.

Then give the ball to Moreno on 2nd and/or third down(s), because he seems to get the tough yards to the first down marker (but not the first down).

Lastly, give the ball to Hillis on 3rd, 4th, and goal line situations. (Just short yardage downs to get the first down or TD).

Thats what I would do if I were McD, but apparently he knows what he is doing.

Hope McD gets over his crush on Buck and Moreno, and puts in Hillis soon.

Comment

Moreno makes our OL look worse than it really is. Many times he shows lack of patience and vision and can't find the hole. Just see the difference when Buckhalter is on the field. I'm not talking about the 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 plays though, which are basically very bad calls and the defense figures it out and swarms to the ball carrier.
          sigpic

Comment

my issue with KM is endemic with all rookie backs, esp the one-cutters: lack of patience. they hit the hole so damned fast the lineman have not even set up their blocks yet. TD had this issue as a rook, as did CP. I mean, watch Buckhalter: after handoff, he'll hesitate for a split second to let the blocks develop.

it's all a learning process, and we here in Denver seem to be harder on KM than everyone else. Take Don Banks. He had his draft redux article today, and he kept KM with Denver:

(Original pick: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia)
            RE-DO PICK: MORENO
            With the possible exception of having Moreno hold on to the ball as he crossed the goal line a few weeks back against San Diego, I wouldn't change a thing about his rookie season for the Broncos. He leads all rookie rushers with 837 yards and five touchdowns, and has been the picture of consistency, with seven games of at least 75 yards.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tml?xid=cnnbin

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoABQ View Post
              I think that because he is a rookie he has a tendency to try to juke instead of just hitting the hole hard. Reggie Bush had the same problems his rookie year.
              He still has those problems which is why Mike Bell and that Pierre guy are doing a majority of the runs along with him.
              Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by pikman View Post
                OK, I’m not a running back expert, never been one never will be, but I did notice something while watching the replay of the Colts games as well as replays of a few other games. Let me know if you think I’m out to lunch on this one.

How many times have we seen Knowshon hit a hole or bust into an opening this year only to watch him stumble, lunge forward, and fall down without taking much contact. It’s happened more times than it should and I have a theory as to why…

He doesn’t run upright enough. He seems to run with his shoulders too far out in front of his feet which causes him to be off balance a lot. He needs to get his shoulders more over his feet and keep his center of gravity balanced. Did he come in with this running style and is this something that the running backs coach should be working with him on? If you watch other good backs (Chris Johnson, Frank Gore) you see they run more upright and seem to always be in control whereas Knowshon always looks off balance.

Just an observation, I think the kid is going to have great career, I’d just like to see him quit falling down for no reason when he can make a clean break.

It's because he is still learning the speed of the pro game. He is getting better every game he plays, but it hasn't slowed down completely yet for him, thus the stumbling. Believe me this, he will have a huge year next season! He has all the tools to be great. When the game slows down for him he is going to be a force!
                sigpic
                "Made by White Dragon - 8/26/10"
                Great Job & thanks, WD!

"He had a better career than [Hall of Famer Gale] Sayers did, but he is not held in the same regard. Is that fair to Davis?"--Dan Patrick, ESPN

“A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it.” --Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters champion

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  In response to the OP:

Telling/asking a RB to run "more upright" is a no-no. I've always coached to run low as I was always taught to run low.

The lower the pad level, the more leverage you have to push tacklers, and it makes it harder to be stripped or arm tackled.

I think he was falling down in the last couple of games because McDaniels is running him ragged. There are times you can tell he needs a breather, but he's still in there.
                  Plus you'll end up getting nailed hard if you run upright.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                    Well yeah that's a given, unless you're Jerome Bettis.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

He is a rook. And he is still very nervous out there. He is trying to prove he can push the pile and churn the legs. We know he is more than capable and we also know that he is more than capable of juking people stupid.

Right now, he is still trying to get a feel for things. Trying to run as our coachs have taught. He is totally thinking out there. Which is not what we want. His instincts are what we do want and they are Awesome!

It will come with a year of exp. He will get about 1100 yards this year- next year i am SURE he will be closer if not more than 1500.

let him find his groove, get his gears going. We have seen it when he does get in the game that he is unstoppable.
                      So far:
                      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                        Maybe I didn't say exactly what i meant. I understand you can't run completely upright, and I understand getting tired.

What I'm trying to say is, if you watch him run in the open it seems like his upper body is always too far ahead of his feet. His feet aren't under under his body. Thus the stumbling.
                        Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pikman View Post
                          Maybe I didn't say exactly what i meant. I understand you can't run completely upright, and I understand getting tired.

What I'm trying to say is, if you watch him run in the open it seems like his upper body is always too far ahead of his feet. His feet aren't under under his body. Thus the stumbling.
                          Like someone said, he's probably just thinking too much.
                          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

This is the time of the year when rookies hit the wall, he is way past the number of games and season length he had in school. He is learning at this level that you don't have time to make so many small jukes and cuts, you need to hit and go. also he will learn more patience to let the play develop.

We need to get a little more beef up front if we keep using the power running block instead of the old ZBS.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoABQ View Post
                              Knowshon has 837 rushing yards on the season with 5 games to go. I'm willing to bet that he will get 163 in the next two games.
                              more like 3 games to go

Comment

He's probably hitting the rookie wall. He also could be overcompensating for his fumbles earlier in the year. By leaning forward and bracing for contact, it would make it less likely you would fumble. The problem is that if the contact doesn't come, you fall over.

In the Colts game, Moreno probably kept tripping those few times from the sheer shock of not getting hit as soon as he got the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X