McD is not making best use of Shannys first class talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McD is not making best use of Shannys first class talent

Take it how you want it; but I don't believe McDaniels is utilizing Shanahans' talent he left behind for us.

I'm just highly disappointed that we're not seeing any spectacular production out of Peyton Hillis, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokely, Ryan Clady, Larsen, woodyard, or even bailey.

You may disagree, but the reason i believe this is because Hillis is warming the bench even on short yard situations, Eddie isn't getting the Royal treatment, Stokely is running sick routes with no love, Clady is in a new blocking scheme that doesn't fit him as well, woodyard is covering great TEs like clark, and bailey isn't blasting runners as he usually does.

Marshall has been a one man show in Orton's receiver staredown contest and the other receivers aren't getting any love. Our two monsters in larsen and hillis dont get to blast players and make short yards.

I know there will be some people who disagree, but lets hear the opinions

We as fans may be right about this, and we may be wrong too. I was listening to the coaches show and it sounds like McDaniels likes to exploit weaknesses in the D, so a different player will be the key guy each week. He mentioned that these guys had good games against the opponents because of that.

Marshall - Colts
    Royal - Patroit
    Scheffler - Chargers

The only thing I am curious about is Hillis. I think 99% of the fans on this board believe that Hillis should get more playing time. I guess at 8-5 we can't complain too much though.
    Go Broncos!!!

Comment

My opinion...

Originally posted by aznightmare View Post
      You may disagree, but the reason i believe this is because Hillis is warming the bench even on short yard situations
      Hillis is on the field in SP and when needed to fill in for Larsen. You can't expect too much more from the third string HB.

Eddie isn't getting the Royal treatment
      The notion that eddie not being utilized is a misconception among posters. He is on the field for punt returns, kick returns and quite a bit with the O. True he's not being thrown to as much, however he does touch the ball quite a bit. If you really think about it, he's usually the first person who touches the ball for the O. That's a huge responsiblity we've laid on eddie.

Stokely is running sick routes with no love
      Stokely is doing what he was brought here to do. Play a limited role and to be a presence in the locker room. He's playing his part to a tee, he was the first one to welcome Orton to Denver and publicly give him some props for his play. The guy is doing exactly what he needs to being doing here. He's not the every down reciever who needs to be blocking on run plays.

Clady is in a new blocking scheme that doesn't fit him as well
      Clady is doing just fine. He's taking to his new role very well. It was noted that with the new O, there was going to be times when the sacks will happen. With design of the play being a drop back standing in the pocket passing offense there is no movement of the pocket that was a staple of the our offenses of the past. Where he is excelling is with the pulling he's being asked to do and with his ability to move on the screens, he's a dozer out there clearing the way for graham.

woodyard is covering great TEs like clark
      That's his job, he's suppose to be able to cover him. I bet he'll be the first to admit that he needs to do a better job of it. On another note Clarke does it to everyone he faces.

and bailey isn't blasting runners as he usually does.
      That's because the d-line and backers are doing what they're suppose to be doing. If we relying on bailey for run support then our defense is not working. I call it a blessing that all he has to worry about is his wr responsibilties and if he's making the tackle then we've lost the battle on that particular play.

Marshall has been a one man show in Orton's receiver staredown contest and the other receivers aren't getting any love.
      And that's the way everyone wanted it to be. First the gripe was that he was being under utilized and now he being used too much? The guy is a gamer and when you have him in the game he going to get his touches.

Our two monsters in larsen and hillis dont get to blast players and make short yards.
      Larsen has been hurt, nothing can be done about that. He just needs to heal up and get back at it. Hillis has had his chances and failed just as much as everyone else. The issues with short yardage is not in the backs, it's with the lack of a push up front.

I know there will be some people who disagree, but lets hear the opinions
      There you go :go:

sigpic

Comment

I don't buy McDaniels' "exploiting the weaknesses in the D" excuse. That's what every offensive tactician should do anyway. But also we need to play to our strenghts. Our offense was far more dangerous and explosive with Shanahan. We are currently ranked at 20th in scoring.

McDaniels' speech does not justify what happened to Royal. I doubt he is being covered by the team's best corner, or getting double coverage while Marshall runs free on the field. Royal is a very good receiver. He is quick enough to get open in limited space for 1st down conversions. He is fast enough and runs great routes to beat defenders deep. He's just been crippled.

But the situations are different for each player. Hillis has been ignored due to a 1st round investment that is getting experience at the expense of our running game's potential. And even McDaniels' buddy from New England is ahead on the depth chart. Woodyard might be one of the guys that don't fit the scheme. He was a beast playing 4-3 OLB, attacking the offense, hunting the ball carrier. Now he is limited to coverage, he's become a big safety in the box.
        sigpic

Comment

It does seem Mcd is more concerned with giving this team his own identity than playing the talented players from the previous regieme. We have suffered offensivly as a result. I'm also not impressed with Mcd as a offensive playcaller. His running schemes are predictable and the passing game doesn't scare many safeties.

Comment

It's been apparent from day 1 starting with the QB blunder that McD wants this team to have no resemblance of this being Shanny's team, players or offense!

So in turn he broke the side of the ball that didn't need fixing and turned an offense that should be as high powered, explosive and exciting as the Colts & Saints into a dull, boring, conservative, predictable offense that has a ton of talent but uses none of it except for Marshall! We should be putting up 30+ points with ease but instead McD has us struggling just to score half that!

We're a deep threat team with Marshall & Royal...and Stokley but never go deep! Thank you Kyle Orton!!!

We're a ZBS running team (top tier for 14 years) but still after seeing it work every time it's dialed up McD still tries the power running game that has never worked!

No other coach in their right, un-ego driven mind would have came in and done this B.S. to this group of offensive weapons!!!

Right now McD (play selection) is our weakest link!!!

Comment

It would apear to me that McD is posed to win more games this year, than shanny did since plummer was taking snaps, so remind me what he isn't doing right again............

Comment

Originally posted by owninit View Post
                It would apear to me that McD is posed to win more games this year, than shanny did since plummer was taking snaps, so remind me what he isn't doing right again............

His low-powered offense actually serves as the opposing teams defense!!!

Comment

He isn't losing with an arm 'Stronger Then Elway's". Or losing 38-35. Or he isn't losing with a QB with enormous untapped potential. I think that covers it. Damn him for trying to change the culture Denver was getting used to. He needs to go.

Comment

What he is doing right = our defense with Mike Nolan which is the best defense the Broncos have seen in years. And when we lost, usually our defense failed to play a consistent game and our offense could not compensate scoring points.

Against Baltimore for example, our defense started very well, shutting them down, but our offense could not score at all, it was dead and then our defense got tired and crumbled.

Against Indianapolis, our defense allowed 3 TDs but our offense did not produce 1 single point in the same period to balance things. And then we shut Manning down for a good amount of time, making 3 picks, giving him his worst rating and completion % of the season, yet we could not score enough points with plenty of opportunities.

I'm not saying McDaniels is not doing a good job because we are about to become a playoff team again, but I have to admit I expected more from offensive perspective.
                    Last edited by -Rod-; 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                      What he is doing right = our defense with Mike Nolan which is the best defense the Broncos have seen in years. And when we lost, usually our defense failed to play a consistent game and our offense could not compensate scoring points. Against Baltimore for example, our defense started very well, shutting them down, but our offense could not score at all, it was dead and then our defense got tired and crumbled. Against Indianapolis, our defense allowed 3 TDs but our offense did not produce 1 single point in the same period to balance things. And then we shut Manning down for a good amount of time, making 3 picks, giving him his worst rating and completion % of the season, yet we could not score points out of the turnovers.

If it was as easy as fixing a defense straight up black and white, then how come Shanny could only make it worse year after year after year?

Certain "individuals" (to spare probation) want to discredit anything the team is doing well, as something someone else must be doing right.

GET IT Through your minds that McD is the head coach, he persued leadership, he has effect on the defense, he has big enough balls to hire Great coordinators and LET THEM DO THEIR JOB, he has changed this TEAM into a hard playing football team.

McD cleaned house and has a BETTER TEAM THAN SHANNY HAD.....

It's not that tough of a concept.

Comment

Shanny wasn't making best use of Shannys first class talent.

Unless you consider .500 to be a great season.

YOU ARE
                        Official 2009 Adopt-A-Bronco:Moreno, Knowshon

Comment

If it was as easy as fixing a defense straight up black and white, then how come Shanny could only make it worse year after year after year?
                          It's not easy and that's where McDaniels deserves most of the credit. Shanahan could not fix our defense, actually he was making it worse every year and that's why he is gone.

But after we hired the guy that coordinated the 2007 Patriots offense, I expected more from our offense. We had the 2nd offense in yards with plenty of playmakers and we had to improve our efficiency scoring more touchdowns. Now we have the 17th overall offense (from 2nd we dropped to 17th) while we went from 16th to 20th in scoring.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                            It's been apparent from day 1 starting with the QB blunder that McD wants this team to have no resemblance of this being Shanny's team, players or offense!

So in turn he broke the side of the ball that didn't need fixing and turned an offense that should be as high powered, explosive and exciting as the Colts & Saints into a dull, boring, conservative, predictable offense that has a ton of talent but uses none of it except for Marshall! We should be putting up 30+ points with ease but instead McD has us struggling just to score half that!

We're a deep threat team with Marshall & Royal...and Stokley but never go deep! Thank you Kyle Orton!!!

We're a ZBS running team (top tier for 14 years) but still after seeing it work every time it's dialed up McD still tries the power running game that has never worked!

No other coach in their right, un-ego driven mind would have came in and done this B.S. to this group of offensive weapons!!!

Right now McD (play selection) is our weakest link!!!
                            g-zus dude, let it go, switch to decaf, get laid, something, but **** about the past.

Comment

I'm going to say I agree it seems odd. I have already invested an extreme amount of time and fact searching in arguing over the Hillis situation in the Hillis explained thread.
                              Being a Bronco fan is more important than being a fan of any coach or player in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X